41

The Girl Who Can't Break Up and the Boy Who Can't Leave

It was that time of year.

Myungsoo woke up and gave me a soft peck on the cheek like usual. I had checked the calendar the day before and waited to see if he would be a little more cheerful this time around but just like the year before, something in his usual fiery eyes was dead.

It was his mother's deathday. I left my whole day empty because I knew that we were going to go down to do our annual trip down to the grave but I didn't want to bring the topic up, knowing that it would just bring the atmosphere down. Myungsoo sulked down the stairs for breakfast and barely touched his food, eating just a little portion of everything so he wouldn't make me feel bad.

"It's already been a year," Myungsoo sighed.

"I know, Myung," I replied softly. I didn't want to press on any of his buttons today.

"Sorry I'm like this. I'm bringing the whole mood of our house down," he said. Myungsoo forked his eggs and put them in his mouth just to bring a cup of water to his lips and force the food down his throat. I laid my hand on his as an attempt to comfort him.

"It's fine. You have every right to act this way," I gave him a smile and a reasurring nod.

Myungsoo nodded back, "Are you coming down with me today?"

I gave him a look, "Is that even a question? I come with you every year."

"I'm just making sure," he said. I saw Myungsoo's face brighten up a bit at my response. After cleaning up around the house a bit, Myungsoo and I left for the country. And just like every year, Myungsoo's grip on the steering wheel was a little tighter and his eyes didn't shine as usual. I laid my hand on his when I saw his knuckles getting white from all the pressure.

"Thanks," he said, relaxing a bit.

The atmosphere in the car was quiet. Not an awkward type of quiet but more of a serious type of quiet. Myungsoo was immersed in his own thoughts and I was immersed in mine.

After a little while, we were far away from the city and had made it to the site. We got out of the car and Myungsoo looked at me, trying to collect his feelings. I felt his hand creep into mine and I held his cold ones gladly, giving them a little squeeze.

"Let's go," Myungsoo murmured. We climbed up the hill to where Myungsoo's mother was resting. Weeds had grown around the tombstone and the grass had unnaturally grown up onto the stone. Myungsoo scowled before he leaned down, taking out the plants with his bare hands. I bowed to Myungsoo's mom and laid flowers in front of the tombstone.

Myungsoo and I faced the gravestone after a little cleaning up. He swung his arm around me and gave my shoulder a tight squeeze.

"Hey mom," he said shakily, "So much has changed."

 

- - -

 

That night, we decided that it was too late to drive all the way back home so we settled in a cozy hotel near the beach close to Myungsoo's mother's resting place. We decided to go on a walk on the beach nearby as usual when thick, heavy storm clouds started to cover up the wide expanse of sky.

"," Myungsoo said as the first of the water droplets started to fall.

I looked back to see that the hotel wasn't even in sight. Myungsoo and I had walked so far away endlessly talking about nothing that we didn't even realize how far away we were walking.

"I can't even see the hotel from here," I muttered. I looked up at the sky to see that this wasn't one of those momentary storms that just passed by. The rain was gradually becoming heavier and the sky darker. I didn't have any hood on and neither did Myungsoo.

"Might as well run," I shrugged. Myungsoo watched as I copied his famous smirk, slipping my flip flops off and running off towards the direction of the hotel.

"Seo! Seohyun!" I heard Myungsoo's faint voice. The rain was still thundering around Myungsoo and I as we ran along the shore. And as I expected, soon enough Myungsoo was right beside me, grinning as he reached out a hand and wrapped it around my waist quickly, making me almost knock down onto the wet sand.

"Slow down," Myungsoo whispered in my ear. He brushed my wet hair out of my face and swept his thumb across my cheek lovingly. "Remember when we were watching that one cheesy movie?" he asked.

"Which one?" I asked, laughing, trying to recall all of the "cheesy" movies we watched together.

"I don't remember, it was boring. But I do remember you 'aw-ing' at the part when the two main characters kissed in the rain," Myungsoo murmured. He let his lips glide across my skin, biting at the hollow of my neck and then moving up for a kiss on the lips. His lips met mine and just like the first time, I felt fireworks in my stomach and my heart flying in glee. His body was as close as ever to mine and our wet shirts were clinging onto each other as it hung off of Myungsoo's body losely.

The water and thundering went on but Myungsoo refused to let me go, only pulling me in closer. Unfortunately, we each had to take a breath so we separated, staring into each other's eyes. Oh, how I loved him.

The rest of the walk back to the hotel was pretty quick. The concierge and workers stared at us oddly when we came in drenched but Myungsoo and I just laughed at their appalled expressions, holding hands and praticaly floating on our own cloud of happiness back to our hotel room.

"You know what, baby?" Myungsoo asked as we stared at each other in bed after we washed up. He ran his fingers through my hair.

"What?"

"I don't ever want to be apart from you," he whispered. Myungsoo poked my nose, making me scrunch up my face, laughing.

"Then don't," I replied. He grinned widely and snuck his arm under the crook of my neck for me to lay on, hugging me close to his warm body and wrapping his legs around mine.

"I won't," Myungsoo promised, planting a kiss on my forehead before we fell asleep.

 

 

- - - - -

 

For the past few months or so, I had been the happiest that I have ever been. My feelings for Myungsoo grew into real love. Not to a point of obsession but dangerously close enough.

We did everything together and by the time our late birthday trip was nearing, I was sure that he was the one I was going to marry. He was the one that I wanted to marry. Its not like it was crazy- we had known each other for much over half a decade. I laughed at my own thoughts every now and then. I never thought that I would be so open minded towards a relationship.

It was funny how Myungsoo was the one that put me in my devastation and equally rescued me out of it. Now that I thought about it, if he didn't mean anything to me, he wouldn't have made such a huge impact on my life in the first place. Yet if I had known how much happiness he would bring to me, I would've accepted him sooner.

I still felt like I was betraying my past but at some point, I just decided to forget all the trouble Myungsoo and I had and finally decide that it was time to move on.

For real this time.

Besides, although I knew that I had a stubborn personality,holding grudges didn't do a thing towards my benefit. And unlike the past, I felt security when I was with Myungsoo. He didn't really tell me that he loved me 24/7 but I didn't need to hear it. Everything was evident in his actions.

And that's true love.

"Wake up... Wake up," I heard Myungsoo's soft voice and felt his finger gently poking my nose. I groaned and opened my eyes to see Myungsoo's smiling face greeting me. He was already dressed and cologned and his hair was gelled exactly the way I liked it.

Oh how it felt to wake up to this.

"Good morning," he said, planting a light kiss on my forehead, "We're leaving in an hour so get ready. You excited?"

Of course I was excited, I got to skip work and go on a vacation for free with my favorite person that ever walked the universe. I smiled, giving him a nod, "It's the only reason I'm not slapping you for waking me up this early," I joked.

Myungsoo laughed, "Now you know how I feel every morning."

I rolled my eyes, "You know, this is the first time you woke up before I did."

"Yeah and it isn't ever going to happen again."

I smiled at his response and lazily rolled off the bed, heading towards the bathroom with that feeling of excitement in my gut that you feel before you know that something really good was going to happen.

"I'll make breakfast!" Myungsoo called from the bedroom. I stuck my head out from the bathroom door with a toothbrush in my mouth.

"Myung, I'm not sure if that's the greatest idea," I said slowly.

"No, trust me this time," he sai as he trot down the stairs ito the kitchen without hearing the rest of my protest. After showering and dressing, I went downstairs to see that Myungsoo had already piled our suitcases at the front door.

"Come here," He called from the dining table. I walked towards him to see fruit and chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and chocolate sauce drizzled over it. My stomach growled.

"Again - it looks safe."

"No, I tested it this time and it's actually really good!" Myungsoo insisted.

"You tested it?" I raised an eyebrow and laughed at his choice of words.

"Yes, I tested it!" he urged. I sat down on my chair and picked up the knife and fork, slicing into the pancake. Myungsoo watched my reaction as I tried some of the pancake.

"How is it?" he asked slowly. I gave him a look and frowned. Myungsoo's face slowly started to display an innocent smile.

"What?" Myungsoo asked cheekily.

"You know what." The pancake tasted the exact same as the one from my favorite restaurant. We stared at each other for about a good twenty seconds before Myungsoo broke into a laugh.

"Sorry, I just tried making pancakes and it didn't work out so I bought your favorite from the cafe," Myungsoo sheepishly said. I rolled my eyes but smiled. How could I possibly be mad?

"Your effort to make the pancakes is good enough Myung," I replied.

"My girl's an angel," Myungsoo said with a smile, pecking my lips. I grinned and ate the rest of the pancake.

After breakfast, we got all of our bags and headed to the airport. Soon enough we were at Jeju Island's resort, gaping up at the skyscraper-high hotel and impressive scenery.

"Seo," Myungsoo said. I turned around to see Myungsoo holding a camera. I practically squealed and shielded a hand in front of my face.

"Got it," he smirked, "You know you can't ever get away from my pictures."

"L!" a feminine voice was heard from the other side of the hotel. It seemed like it was directed toward us but I didn't turn, knowing that my name was definitely not L and niether was Myungsoo's. But unlike what I thought, Myungsoo's head darted up and a smile appeared on that beautiful face of his.

"Yeon!" Myungsoo called. He grabbed his suitcase and wheeled it over to where the girl who called "L" was standing, smiling and greeting Myungsoo with open arms. I brought my suitcase over too, slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

The girl Myungsoo was talking to was undeniably beautiful. She was about average height but she was slender. Her hair was a little past collarbone length and curled at the ends. She had rosy cheeks, a dazzling smile and was wearing a baby pink shift dress to match her baby pink pumps.

She just looked rich.

"Oh!" Myungsoo exclaimed when he finally noticed that I was awkwardly standing there. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, "This is my girlfriend, Seohyun." Myungsoo turned to me, "Seo, this is Yeonsoo. She is the one that got us everything for free."

I gave her a smile and outreached my hand, "Nice to meet you. Thank you so much for everything."

"Oh, no problem!" she shook my hand, giving me a Miss Korea smile, "You two look very good together." She notioned to Myungsoo and I.

"Thank you," I grinned.

"No problem," she replied. I turned to see Myungsoo who looked obviously happy that we were getting along.

"Well, I wanted to show you guys to the room personally just in case you didn't like it," Yeonsoo started.

"Oh, Yeon, you don't have to," Myungsoo said.

"Oh, yes I do," she smiled, "Follow me." Yeonsoo briskly started to strut away, her pumps making a clack sound every time they hit the wooden floor. I quickly grabbed all of my stuff, trying to keep up with Yeonsoo and Myungsoo's fast steps. 

"Baby," Myungsoo called. He outreached his hand and I smiled, taking it. "I'll take that for you," Myungsoo took my backpack and suitcase out of my hands and carried them lightly, following after Yeonsoo.

"Oh look at the happy couple," Yeon giggled. We were in front of our hotel room and Yeonsoo was holding the door open with her perfectly manicured and Jimmy Choo'd foot. "Welcome in!"

"Damn..." Myungsoo went in first, dumping his suitcase at the foot of the bed. I walked in and my mouth gaped open at the sight of the beautiful hotel suite. There was a clear view of the sea along with the resort swimming pool. There was one huge oak bed in the middle of the room with gold detailing, a flat screen TV, white couch, and even a mini- kitchen.

"This is crazy," I sighed.

"Yeon, thank you so much," Myungsoo went up to Yeonsoo and gave her a hug. She smiled and pat his back in response.

"Yes, thank you," I added.

"Only the best for my best friend and his lady," Yeonsoo giggled. After showing us what a few of the buttons and switches in the room could do, she left us alone to marvel at the view.

"L," Yeonsoo called.

"Yeah?" Myungsoo turned around.

"I'll call you later tonight, okay?"

"Okay," he responded with a smile. I didn't think much of their words, playing with the light switches and trying out the various lotion scents in the bathroom. "I could just stay in here all day," I laughed.

Myungsoo nodded, "You like it?"

"I love it Myung. Thank you..."

"No problem, beautiful," Myungsoo gave me a kiss on the cheek.

I smiled. "Oh yeah," I started, "Why does Yeonsoo call you L?"

"Ah," Myungsoo grinned, "It's just a nickname she gave me. She thought I was like the character L from Death Note." He chuckled.

I nodded. "I didn't know that you were so close with her. I've never even heard you talking about her before."

"Yeah," Myungsoo rubbed the back of his neck, "Want to go look around the resort?"

I grinned and nodded, "Okay, after I get dressed."

"You look beautiful as you are," he murmured, pulling me in for a hug.

"Oh my God, Myung," I rolled my eyes playfully.

"What? It's true," Myungsoo kissed my forehead. I smiled and pushed him away gently so I could get my clothes and change. I looked outside the window at the blue expanse of sky and ocean and smiled, sighing to myself. The vacation just started but I didn't ever want to leave.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SO LIKE THIS STORY ISN'T LABELED ANGST FOR NUTHIN'. get ready guys. mwahahaha.
anyway 400 subs T-T WHAT. thank you so much ;__; and i guess no cliffhanger cause y'all hate the idea so much LOL. but seriously it's so tempting....


below is a supadupa short "sneak-peak" of my new fic after i finish "the girl who can't--" if you want to read it. ps. it's with jongin. aka. kai from exo. (: yum.
When you think about skipping stones and sneaking out at midnight, I hope it'll bring you to think about me. I hope it'll bring a genuine smile to your face ; and I hope it'll take you back to all of those endless summers we spent together. And maybe... Just maybe it'll make you wonder about that one girl in the small town that loved you with all her heart.