31

The Girl Who Can't Break Up and the Boy Who Can't Leave

 

Seohyun

I slowly opened my eyes as I felt the hot sun on my skin. The warmth on my skin was the same but my surroundings weren't. I was confused as to where I was, slowly looking around, half asleep as the unbelievable familiarity of the room forced me to wake up. Did I go back in time? Why was I sleeping in our- his room again?

I looked down to see shirtless Myungsoo sleeping next to me as I slightly screamed, before quickly slapping my hand over my mouth.

I remembered coming to Myungsoo's house and watching a boring movie with him and then falling asleep. Myungsoo must've noticed something odd about the unequal weight on the bed because he groaned a little before he stretched his long arms out and rubbed his eyes, smiling as he saw me. "Good morning."

I stiffly nodded. "Good morning," I peeped. "Sorry I slept here..."

"No problem. I  asked you to, remember?" he replied, sitting up on the bed so he was of equal height with me, "It feels nice not to wake up alone." 

My expression must've changed from relaxed to slightly frightened because Myungsoo seemed as if he immediately regret what he just said. There was something uncomfortable about his words. I guess I was still scared. I wasn't ready. The feeling of him saying that to me was unfamiliar.

"I should get going now," I muttered. Myungsoo's smile fell from his face as he cleared his throat, "You don't want to stay for breakfast? I can make pancakes."

My breath hitched in my throat as I watched his face turn hopeful and offer me a smile. Pancakes... Just like the old times. His words triggered a cord of my heart and I wanted to just run into his arms right then and there and pretend like nothing happened between us. Pretend like my heart was actually stitched up and whole. But I couldn't give myself up so easily, again.

"Maybe next time," I replied. I turned away before I could see his expression display disappointment. I knew I was hurting him. But he could deal with it ; It wasn't like he loved me, right? There was a pause in sound as I shuffled to stuff my phone and other belongings into my bag. "Do you remember anything that we said to each other yesterday?" Myungsoo asked quietly as he watched me head towards the bedroom door.

Yesterday? I stared back at him. The familiar sad glint in his eye brought back memories of the words I had told him last night. I swallowed before I took a deep breath and nodded, "Yes. I remember."

"So do you still mean everything you said?" Myungsoo asked with a trace of a minuscule bead of hope in his voice.

"Yes," I nodded.

"You don't know how much I wanted you to say that you were just joking," he said, staring at me straight in the eye. "But I meant what I said." I didn't know how to respond so I nodded again before I tightly gripped my bag, walking out of the door.

"You know, Seo." I stopped in my tracks. "I don't know how many times I've seen you walk out that door to leave," Myungsoo said with a broken voice.

"Me neither," I replied before I started toward the door again. Once I was out, I looked back, perhaps waiting for the door to open with Myungsoo on the other side, telling me that he wanted to see me again. But it didn't. I let out a small sigh and turned around, heading back home.

So what if a small part of me wanted him to hold me back?

As I approached my front door, I saw a hooded figure waiting at the foot of my steps, knocking on the door and looking around. Probably looking for me. I frowned and slowly and cautiously drew near as the figure's face was revealed once I was close enough.

"Woohyun?" I slightly gasped.

"Seo..." he turned around and smiled as he saw me coming near.

"What are yo-"

"Seo," he repeated, interrupting me, pulling me into his arms when I was an arms length away from him. My heart started to beat faster as my voice got stuck in my throat. "What are you doing here?" I managed to croak.

"I miss you," Woohyun whispered as he dug his head into the crook of my neck, "I shouldn't have broken up with you."

"I thought you had a girlfriend," I stood still, not letting my arms wrap around my waist. Unlike the times he hugged me, today, it just didn't feel right. "It was just another fling," Woohyun said, waving it off like it was nothing. "I was just tryna get my mind off of you. And I couldn't."

"Stop," I said, pushing him off.

"Seo..." Woohyun brushed his thumb across my cheek, "I want you back."

All my senses snapped in my brain with those four words. He wanted me back? "It's too late," I muttered.

"What?" Woohyun asked, dejectedly.

"It's too late," I spoke up despite the fact that I was certain he had heard me, "You can't just choose when you want to date me and when you want to break up with me."

"I can't get a second chance?" Woohyun asked, taking my hand in his. I stared at our fingers intertwined. Even though it was freezing cold outside, his hands were warm and soft. They were always warm and soft. "You don't have a boyfriend- do you?" Woohyun asked, "Where were you last night?"

"Nowhere," I answered.

He stared at me. "Are you already over me?"

"Why can't I be? Your the one that broke up with me anyway," I quickly took my hand away from his. What was I even doing, still standing here? I should have gone into my apartment by now. I turned away from Woohyun and drew my hand toward the door handle. My intentions of running away and locking myself in my house until Woohyun left must have been too obvious because he snatched my hand away and held my wrist tight in his grip.

"Another chance," he pleaded.

"It's a waste of time," I mumbled.

Woohyun raised his eyebrows and leaned back, rolling his tongue in his cheek, "What did you say?"

"It's a waste of time. We were going to break up anyway. And I know we're not going to last if we start dating again..." I said with my eyes to the floor. I know I had to stare at Woohyun straight in the eye if I wanted my point to be delivered but for some reason, I just couldn't get myself to look at him.

He scared me.

He especially scared me when I was mad. It wasn't something to be proud of, but I knew exactly how to anger him. In fact, I just triggered that boiling anger of his.

After about a good ten seconds, I dared to peek up from underneath my bangs due to a lack of reaction to see him frowning at the figure nearing my apartment. "What the hell is he doing here?" Woohyun muttered. I turned my head and followed Woohyun's eyes to see Myungsoo walking over toward the apartments.

"Seo. You left your iPod at my house," Myungsoo called with a smile once I was in hearing distance, pointing to the electronic device in his hand. I sighed. It wasn't exactly the best time to return my iPod and Myungsoo obviously didn't notice that it was Woohyun that was standing there talking to me. Or else he would've pounced on him or glared with his fiery gaze by now. It was odd. The way Myungsoo could stare at you would make you freeze up and burn at the same time.

Woohyun and I just stared at Myungsoo as he neared the house. The glare in Woohyun's eye practically shot a warning to Myungsoo, daring him to come closer. The smile on Myungsoo's face dropped almost immediately when he finally noticed that it was Woohyun that I was talking to and not the big tree next to my front door.

"So that's where you were last night," Woohyun let out something in between a scoff and a laugh.

"Yeah. She was over at my house. Is there a problem with that?" Myungsoo asked. I groaned. The tone in the their voices didn't have one speck of affinity.

"There is, actually," Woohyun slightly smirked. I ducked my head down and avoided their annoyed gazes at each other as Myungsoo raised his eyebrows at Woohyun and scoffed, "You two aren't even together anymore."

"Seohyun and I were actually discussing that topic before you interrupted, actually," Woohyun said, gritting his teeth, "And last time I checked, you and Seohyun were over way before we were."

"You guys, stop," I said, pushing the two boys apart as they fiercely glared at each other.

"What were you doing at his house all night? Are you over me already?" Woohyun turned to me, obviously angry. I frowned. Wasn't he the one that broke up with me? Wasn't he the one all happy with his girlfriend just the other day? - literally?

"What'd you say?" I asked quietly.

"Why are you over me already and associating yourself with Myungsoo?" Woohyun clarified, nudging his head over to Myungsoo. Myungsoo nearly growled. "Weren't you the one with the girlfriend twenty-four hours ago?"

Woohyun narrowed his eyes toward me, "Are you gossiping about me or something?" The way he barked those words sliced knives through my heart. It was ridiculous how incredibly childish, foolish, and guilty Woohyun could make me feel all at once. In a nutshell, he would make me feel terrible. I glued my eyes to the floor as I played with my sweaty hands.

"What- are you two best friends now because I'm out of the picture?" Woohyun continued. I hated crying in front of anyone. But lately, I haven't been able to bury the tears deep inside of me until I got home as well as I used to. I felt that same empty feeling in my heart and my eyes starting to water up as I continued staring at the floor. "Look at me," Woohyun yelled.

The way people could change frightened me.

There was a certain coldness and sharpness to Woohyun's voice that made me feel like I had to obey him. I brought my hands to my eyes and hastily wiped the tears away before I slowly looked up into Woohyun's angry face.

"Don't yell at her," Myungsoo took my hand and gently squeezed it. Woohyun leaned back and scoffed yet again. "Ridiculous."

"Woohyun," I said, taking a deep breath, bracing myself for what I was about to say, "You were the one that broke up with me first. And yesterday you showed up at the restaurant with a girlfriend. Now, your saying you want me back and your acting like I belong to you. We had our time together and it was wonderful. But we were over three weeks ago."

"And why can't we be together again?" Woohyun asked.

"It wouldn't work out," I said.

"Why not?" He insisted. I just shook my head in response and gave him a small smile. First Myungsoo and now Woohyun. It puzzled me. The mind of a boy was like an enigma. Men think women are complicated but it's actually the other way around.

One thing that Woohyun and Myungsoo both had to learn is that they're always too late.

They want to screw up everything and act as if it didn't happen and run back to me with a smile, expecting I'll welcome them with open arms. Maybe if I was foolish and naïve I would. But no, the last thing I needed was to get into another heedless relationship. Although they took note of the fact that each one left my heart viciously shattered into pieces, they overlooked and maybe even forgot about what kind of scars they might've given me throughout the whole process.

Woohyun stared at me but didn't do anything as I turned away from him and dug through my bag for my keys.

"It's your last chance," Woohyun said. It was my turn to scoff. He talked as if I wanted him. I rolled my eyes and walked into my apartment, shutting and locking the door on the two boys standing outside.

I ignored the loud banging and took a warm, relaxing shower as I did my usual morning routine. An hour passed and I finally got to sit down after eating and doing some cleaning. The knocking, yelling and frequent arguing between the two ceased within the time I was doing my chores and out of curiosity, I looked through the peek hole of my door to see no one standing there.

I smiled and opened the door just to make sure they were gone but my foot ran into Myungsoo crouched on the floor. I yelped. "What are you doing here?"

"You forgot your iPod..." Myungsoo declared. He stood up from the floor and took my hands in his cold ones, placing the iPod in my hand. "You didn't have to stay out here in the cold just to return this," I told him, "But thank you so much..." I felt bad that he had to wait outside in the cold. His lips were blue and quivering while he was shaking.

"If it wasn't yours, I wouldn't have stayed out this long just to return it," Myungsoo smiled, "Your overrated, Seo."

"Overrated?" I asked.

"Yeah. To me. I'd do anything for you," Myungsoo smiled. He turned away and trot down the stairs as I stared at him leaving, digging the contents of my scattered brain to find something to say to Myungsoo before he was out of hearing-distance. But in the end, he just left without me getting to say saying another word.

I glanced at the iPod in my hand and smiled.

 

 

 

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

thank you guys so much for reading, commenting, subscribing<3
I FOR NOT UPDATING. fjdkla i know.

and i'm trying my best to juggle school, sports, volunteering, sleep, homework, and aff all at once. -___-

i'll keep trying to update more often.

and thanks for all those who answered my question! ^___^ 99.999999999% of you say Seohyun should be careful but she should end up with Myungsoo at the end. (:
well , we'll see~~~ ((:

goodbye & have a blessed week. ! <33한나