22

The Girl Who Can't Break Up and the Boy Who Can't Leave

Seohyun

I stopped with the fork halfway to my mouth and stared at the romance scene in front of me- Howon feeding his girlfriend some of his food while she smiled lovingly at him and wiped bread crumbs off of his cheek.

"What," Howon asked as he noticed me, paused. I raised an eyebrow and stifled a laugh, "Nothing." I dug the knife into my steak violently and started cutting. I shook my head as they continued their lovey-dovey act. It was good to see Howon happy but being the downer I am, I just had to wonder how long the couple would be in this stage of perfect love.

Howon came and surprised me by driving all the way up to Seoul to see me a couple of hours ago. Of course, he had to bring his new girlfriend with him so I could see how "perfect" they were for each other. It wasn't like I hated her. In fact, she was sweet and if I wasn't so crazy and mean, we might've even been friends. On top of that, I actually approve of her.

It didn't even seem like he came to Seoul to see me, it seemed like he came to Seoul to show his girlfriend around the city.  

There was an awkward clinking of my silverware over the giggling and whispers of the two. His girlfriend then noticed me chomping on my steak in all my loneliness and decided to start up a conversation. It was probably the polite thing to do- she was in my apartment eating my steak with my utensils sitting at my dinner table.

"So, how long have you lived in Seoul?"

"My whole life," I answered.

"That's great," she smiled.

"Yeah," I nodded.

Silence.

"So have you been in Busan all your life?"

"Yes. And I really like it. But Seoul's super nice too," she smiled again.

"If you like it, we should come here more often," Howon laughed, delighted that his best friend and his girlfriend were "getting along".

"You'd drive all the way up here?" 

"Anything for you," he whispered. She rolled her eyes in response but smiled as Howon squeezed her hand. Was I this cheesy with Woohyun? Was I ever this cheesy with Myungsoo? Before the silence could get awkward again, the doorbell rang and I gladly rushed to answer it, assuming that it was Woohyun.

And it was.

"Having a party without me?" Woohyun joked. Howon raised an eyebrow.

"Not much of a party," I muttered. He laughed and pulled me in for a hug before he planted a soft kiss on my forehead after brushing my bangs out of the way.

"Wait, what?" Howon dropped the bomb, interrupting our moment and looking at me for an explanation. Woohyun and I both looked at him with perplexed expressions on our faces.

Then I remembered that I never told Howon that Woohyun was my boyfriend.

"Since when?" Howon raised an eyebrow- mentioning Woohyun and I.

"Right before you left but I never got to tell you." I lowered the pitch of my voice, "And you never gave me a chance to over the freaking webcam." I guess I didn't say it quiet enough because there was an uncomfortable silence as Woohyun sneaked his hand into mine and squeezed it. Howon and I had a stare-down contest before he opened his mouth, "Do you not like Hana or something?"

Howon's girlfriend was surprised by the sudden mention and stepped up to say something when Howon put his hand on her shoulder. Woohyun kept quiet in the corner along with Hana who seemed scared to even look up from studying the carpet.

"How did you even come to that conclusion?" I asked increduously, not knowing how to react.

"Well it seems like it- you've been pissed off ever since you saw Hana so your obviously blaming all this on her."

Before I said something unpredictable, I stopped myself and turned away so I wouldn't look at his face. It would only stir up my already hot anger. Howon stiffly swallowed and checked his watch, tapping it to the attention of his girlfriend, "We should get going."

"Already?" Hana dared to peep.

"Yeah, it's already eight and I have to drive all night," Howon turned to me, "Thanks for the dinner and everything."

I nodded curtly and stood in the doorway, basking in the silence and leftover tense atmosphere with Woohyun as Howon and his girlfriend walked away, hand in hand.

- - -

"He's not a good friend," Woohyun said. I didn't want to look up. Was Howon really not a good friend?

"But he's been my best friend for a long time," I whispered.

Woohyun cuddled me in closer to his arms, "People come and go."

"But he said that he'd be my best friend forever," I replied. I didn't realize how naïve and childish I sounded until it came out of my own mouth.

"People lie," he whispered softly. I nodded into his chest. I knew way too much of that.

"I don't think that it's good to be friends with him. It seems like he just wants to hurt you or something. I mean- he comes to your house with his girlfriend and doesn't even properly thank you when he leaves. He doesn't think of you, he just thinks of that girlfriend of his," Woohyun said.

All became silent as I didn't reply. We just lay there on his couch as I stared at the foggy sky outside. It wasn't even black due to the city lights and pollution, and stars weren't present. The heavens were just a meeky gray to match the color of my confused mind.

Even though I didn't display much emotion, I felt broken up inside between Howon and Woohyun. Howon was my best friend but his words that night made me want to throw up on him. But again, he had been there for me since the dinosaurs roamed and would be until the apocolypse.

On the other hand, Woohyun was here for me now.

Isn't that more important? The present?

"I'm always here for you. And that'll never change," Woohyun pinched my nose lightly and I smiled in response to his gesture.

"I'll always be here for you too."

"I love you so much," Woohyun cooed, "I hope you know that."

I rolled my eyes but smiled, embracing each and every word coming out of that sweet mouth of his. It made my heart ignite with happiness. "You tell me everyday."

"I do because that's how much I love you and how much you mean to me baby," he held me a little tighter as he planted kisses on my cheek. It was at times like this I wondered why I even spent so much time with a boy like Myungsoo.

I was even surprised that I thought about Myungsoo still. It felt like forever ago, even though we were a story months ago. I always wondered about the phrase "You never get over someone you loved" and would end up with lingering thoughts of Myungsoo.

I guess I didn't really love him.

According to that saying, if I did love him, I wouldn't be over him.

"Are you randomly thinking again?" Woohyun snickered.

"What?" I snapped out of my pensive mood to see Woohyun staring at me.

"What?" I asked again.

"God, Seohyun, your beautiful."

"Your perfect."

"We're perfect," were his last words as his eyes closed and he went to sleep. Were Woohyun and I ever as cheesy as Howon was with his girlfriend?

I guess so.

But maybe it's because I love Woohyun that much.

Even though I don't get why Howon suddenly burst his anger out that night, I felt bad for being so cold to him and his girlfriend. I should've been a better friend by supporting him and became friends with her.

I can't believe our friendship was tainted because of something so small. I was a little mad due to the fact that Howon seemed to care nothing for me. On top of that, Woohyun's words did some damage to my thoughts about Howon, also.

Everyone near me is drifting apart.

I stared down at Woohyun sleeping peacefully.

I wonder...

Is he going to leave me alone too?

 

Myungsoo

I knew it.

I knew the reason I was so lost.

I had finally figured it out.

I should've known before.

That I'm nothing without her- Jinah. I missed her so much that I couldn't take it anymore. After I left her, after I stopped talking to her, after we fell apart, every little thing turned into an enigma; it was the thing that caused the collapse of my life.

She was the reason I couldn't find happiness anymore. If I was with her, I could find my happiness again. So I was determined to. Because I love her and I miss her. But as I stood in front of her house, my knees grew weak. I think it's because I love her so much.

I just stood there doing nothing. I was having an inner argument with myself; a conflict whether to knock on her door and wait or just barge in. Either way, I was determined to see her. I stared up at her window to her bedroom, half hoping that she would just show up and smile that beautiful smile at me.

I guess my timing was a little too perfect because there she was with a boy, rocking back and forth on her balcony. I stood there and glared at them when Jinah's eyes slightly wavered on me.

I smiled a little and hope she noticed, but her eyes didn't lay on me for another second and just passed by as a small smirk replaced her previous expression.

She did notice.

So might as well see her. As for the decision whether to knock on the door or barge in, I decided on the latter. She always kept her front door unlocked. Jinah came down the stairs when she heard the front door click open with the boy trailing behind her. Knowing Jinah, it probably wasn't even her boyfriend.

"Who are you?" the boy asked defensively.

"Hi Myungsoo," Jinah ignored him.

"Hey," I breathed. She looked just as I left her- with her never-changing cool face and cold pose. Meeting her was exhilarating. As for the boy, I'm pretty sure he didn't know Jinah well enough yet. He must've been one of her newer bait because he looked surprised at Jinah's sudden rashness towards him. If he truly loved her, he would have to love her knowing that she would probably not love only him alone.

But I was sure I could make her fall in love with me and only me. We're destined. I can't live without her.

So of all the girls in the world, why do I like her?

Well, good girls always fall for the bad boys. Why can't the good boys fall for the bad girls? Not necessarily saying that I'm a good boy- I'm not. Then again, I'm not bad either. Either way, it's not like anyone needs a reason for loving someone... What's wrong with a simple "I just love her because I love her"?

"Who's that?" I asked, nodding my head towards the perplexed boy.

"He's leaving," Jinah said, kicking the front door back open.

"Wait-what?" the boy stuttered. She rolled her eyes and menacingly pushed him out with a strong push and a slam of the door.

"You should stop being so mean," I told her.

"Whatever," she said, popping open her can of Coke, "So do you want me back now since your girl's gone?"

"I-"

"Our seperation- Your seperation with her- Did you pretty good," she raised her perfectly arched eyebrow, "Mister Photographer."

I chuckled, "Yeah, but it doesn't matter if I'm lonely and unhappy, right?"

"Right."

"So when are you going to run into my arms?" I asked, spreading my arms out to her. She smiled and walked forward, setting down the Coke can and wrapping her thin arms around me as I hugged her tight.

"I missed you," I said. I missed her so much and it felt so good to finally be in her arms again.

It was my favorite place.

"I knew you'd come back sometime," Jinah said.

"Yeah, I did too," I breathed in a whiff of her familiar strong perfume.

"Your single," she stated.

"I'm single," I confirmed.

She nodded.

"Are you single?" I asked.

"Well, your my boyfriend now, right?"

Jinah always beat around the bush and teased with things. I guess it was part of her personality. I didn't push her to tell me that she had another boyfriend. I knew she probably did but I was sure that it didn't matter because she was with me now.

"So your breaking up with all your other boyfriends?"

"They're just friends," she laughed.

"Friends..."

"Maybe more?"

"Yeah," I said, squeezing her a little tighter, "Well your my girl now."

"I like how that sounds," she planted a kiss on my lips, leaving some of her sticky flavored-lip gloss on my lip.

"I like it too."

And like that, I felt happier. Well, I was pretty sure I felt happier. My feelings toward her- sure they wre shaky but I was determined to make them stable. Because I know that she's the missing key to my heart.

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AH T-T it's becoming harder and harder to update.
but guess what?! I HAVE BREAK FROM SCHOOL THIS WEEK WOOHOO.
so i'm hoping i can update at least once a day if i'm not busy. thanks for commenting, subscribing and for being so patient for updates. <3
I'm sorry, I totally at updating. if I regularly updated, this fic and 40891 other fics would've been done by now -________-but i guess thtat's my fault.

 

<3 한나.