34

The Girl Who Can't Break Up and the Boy Who Can't Leave

 

Seohyun

I sighed and looked over to the wall separating Sungjong's apartment room from mine. The once-peaceful family next door had been at war ever since I had returned from work last night. Although the walls in the apartment were somewhat sound-proof, their muffled yelling and screaming was still able to be heard.

Although it was irritating, I was more worried than angry toward Sungjong's family. Ever since I moved in, they had been caring and always checked in with how I was doing.

On my way to work, I saw Sungjong storm out of the house and his mother chasing after him shortly after. But at the swift rate Sungjong was bolting out of his apartment at, his mother knew she couldn't catch up. With her tear stained face, she leaned against the wall and slid down, to cry some more.

I walked up to her slowly and bent down, "What's wrong Mrs. Lee?"

"We're just dealing with some family issues, hun. Sorry, we're probably really loud. A young lady like you needs her rest in the night," she smiled tearfully.

"No, I'm fine," I rubbed her back sympathetically and gave her a small hug.

"You see," Mrs. Lee started, "My husband cheated on me. My side of the family obviously isn't taking it well - along with our son, Sungjong - but I refuse to leave my husband."

My facial expression hardened. I knew her feelings all too well. "Why don't you leave him?" I muttered. I didn't mean for my reply to sound as harsh as it did, but I knew exactly what she was going through - Knowing how much chaos Myungsoo's cheating caused in my life.

"Oh Seohyun," Mrs. Lee gave me a smile, "Trust an old lady like me. I've fell into love and out of love many times. But when I was with my husband, I was the happiest I had ever been. So instead of convicting him and leaving him for the one thing he did wrong - I chose to stay for all of the things he did right."

I stayed quiet as I let her words sink into my brain. What she said automatically brought one person to mind : Myungsoo. Now that I thought about Mrs. Lee's words,  I felt like everything was a mistake. Although Myungsoo cheated on me multiple times over a course of many years ; he did make me the happiest I had ever been.

To face it, I couldn't let the whole Myungsoo- incident hinder the rest of my love life. Especially if deep inside, I still loved Myungsoo with all my heart.

"Everyone makes mistakes, dear," Mrs. Lee said, giving me a small pat on the back before she got up and headed back into her battlefield of a home.

I sat on the concrete floor in front of my home where Mrs. Lee left me for a couple of minutes, thinking about her words. In fact, I thought about her words all day long. So instead of convicting him and leaving him for the one thing he did wrong- I chose to stay for all the things he did right.

I did have to admit that I was at my best when I was with Myungsoo. He brought light into my life.

Even though he wronged me - Perhaps it was selfish of me to not even give him a second chance.

 

- - -

 

That night was a typical Friday night. 

Myungsoo would come over. 

Hanging out with each other had become a regular thing and I had to admit it- I was falling for Myungsoo.

Although I previously distanced myself from him, Mrs. Lee's words made their way into my heart and ears and stayed there. I looked at Myungsoo a different way. It was like all the cold snow that had piled up on my heart throughout the hard times was finally being swept away.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Myungsoo asked with a smile on his face. I just smiled back and shook my head.

"Is there something on my face?" he asked.

I shook my head again.

Myungsoo just laughed, "I'm just good looking, aren't I?"

I threw my pillow at him and rolled my eyes. But yes, he was too good looking.

"But seriously, Seo. What's wrong? You're quiet today," Myungsoo said. He took the pillow I threw at him and hugged it, resting his head on the cushion and staring at me - waiting for me to respond.

"Nothing, really," I turned away.

"Come on babe, I won't tease ya," he grinned charmingly. I closed my eyes and tried to control my expression.

He called me babe.

"...Sorry, did that make you uncomfortable- Seo?" Myungsoo muttered. He cleared his throat. My attempt at trying to cover up my blushing cheeks must have seemed like I was upset at him. It just made another part of my weak heart fall for him. Looking at the way he quickly changed his sentence, Myungsoo had learned to respect me.

I wasn't even sure if I was upset. One part of me wanted to glare at him for calling me babe, the other was in heaven due to the fact that those words came out of his lips for me.

There was a silence before I decided to switch the subject.

"Hey Myungsoo," I said, looking up at him when I was sure I wasn't smiling like an idiot anymore.

"Yeah?"

"Do you want to go biking?"

Myungsoo blinked before he realized what I was talking about. I raised my eyebrows at him suggestively.

Biking.

"Do you mean what we used to when we were in high school?" he let his words linger with a smug smirk.

"Yeah," I smiled back at him.

"Do you still have your bike?" Myungsoo asked. I nodded in response.

"Well, this will be fun," he grinned. While Myungsoo quickly got into his car to go back to his apartment and retrieve his "gear", I dug out my old bicycle from the pits of my storage closet and dusted it off.

Biking.

During the second year of our relationship, Myungsoo and I would go biking every Friday night. The fact that we rode bikes instead of drove our cars for a joyride added a touch of simplicity that I loved to our "adventures".

Whenever we went biking it wasn't just night, but usually it was pitch dark and the only light was dimly radiating from the dull yellow, barely maintained street lights - even the bumbling city was asleep. We'd ride like crazy hooligans, laughing and screaming at the tops of our lungs. The people that spotted us with our bikes every night would look at us like we were insane delinquents but we didn't really care. That was the fun part.

But the best part of our biking was that we'd consume energy drinks before our joyride - not alcohol because I insisted that it was just plain unsafe and I wouldn't put my lips on that drink before I turned twenty one.

It might sound stupid and childish that we spent each Friday night riding bikes after bottles of energy drinks, but what can I say? I was crazy back then. Crazy in love with Myungsoo. And it was fun nonetheless.

By the time we settled down at wherever our pedaling took us, the energy drinks always lost their effectiveness and we crashed after all that so- called exercising. Usually we would wake up in the middle of a park or small bookstore we didn't know and we'd laugh and joke, trying to find our way back home.

It was like a fun hangover without the headache and amnesia.

Now don't get me wrong. I was never the rebellious girl. I was always quiet and I kept to myself, especially when I was still under my parents' roof. I was a "good girl" at school and anywhere I went.

But I guess it was frustrating to be so conservative all the time. What can I say? Myungsoo made me want to go crazy in a good way. Although my title of "CEO's daughter" was shed off even before I met Myungsoo, I guess throughout the years I wasn't able to grow out of it.

After college passed, Myungsoo and I each got jobs and we couldn't do our midnight rides as frequently as we wanted to.

"Seo!" I heard Myungsoo's muffled voice coming from the other side of my front door.

I ran over from my room to see Myungsoo grinning widely, both hands on his bike handles, in dark ragged jeans and a black v-neck. He leaned the bike against the door frame and reached into his back jean pockets, pulling out cans of beer.

He tossed me one and I caught it. "Ready?"

I stared at the beer can in my hand and frowned at him disapprovingly. "No."

"Seo, come on," Myungsoo nudged. I rolled my eyes.

"You know I'm not good at drinking," I sighed.

"You can't get drunk off of one can of beer. And don't worry, I'll keep you safe."

"Myungsoo. No," I said, sternly.

"Come on, your always such a good girl, we're not in high school anymore, we can do this now legally," Myungsoo insisted.

"I'm not a good girl," I muttered, "People can die from drinking and biking!"

"Why not?" Myungsoo leaned back and looked at me victoriously, waiting for an answer.

"I told you," I retorted, "It's unsafe and immature."

"Come on, just this once. You won't die Seo, I swear on my life," Myungsoo gave me a smile and a little nod.

"Your crazy," I murmured. Myungsoo took my words as an agreement to swallow the can of beer. "One shot," he smiled before he popped open the can and chugged it all in one go. I did the same before I shook my head and gripped the metal can in my hand.

", I haven't drank one in forever," Myungsoo said, coughing a little.

"First time I drink alcohol and your making me do a one shot," I said, furrowing my brows at the bitter taste left in my mouth. We looked at each other's ridiculous expressions and started laughing.

"Are you ready?" Myungsoo asked.

"I'll be right out, meet me in the front," I told him. He nodded and went down the elevator as I grabbed my bike and headed down.

"This bike is too small," Myungsoo muttered as he got on it, his lean, long legs folded uncomfortably whenever he pedaled. I laughed as I got on my familiar bike.

"Ready?" Myungsoo looked over at me and grinned.

"Ready," I confirmed with a nod.

Myungsoo smiled and started off as I quickly trailed behind him, the wind sweeping through my hair and clothes. He led the way as we beaded through unfamiliar alley ways and neighborhoods we had never even heard of. The tint of yellow light streaking through the pitch darkness from all of the street lights shined on Myungsoo's face, highlighting his gorgeous features. For the first time in years we were doing this.

It was like we were young and crazy in love with each other again. I caught Myungsoo looking over at me occasionally with a wide grin on his face as we glided through the concrete roads and stone pathways.

In about half an hour or so, the unfamiliar toxic alcohol started to kick in. I felt like throwing up and I made a face at Myungsoo. He must've noticed that I was a little drunk because he made me stop biking and carried me to a nearby park.

I don't really remember much else except for that we talked about serious things and that I fell asleep on Myungsoo's broad chest to the sound of his heartbeat at around three in the morning on the green grass of some park we ended up at.

I also remember something about him leaning in to kiss me and that I obliged, letting his soft lips rest on mine in my drunken state.

And my memory goes blank from there except for the fact that I was left in pure happiness and joy with the thought that his lips lingered for a second on mine... But again. We were both drunk.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

hi everyone ! i haven't updated in a week+ and for the past couple of days i've promised myself to update and then something popped up. a lot has happened in my life in the last week or so. i took a korean-language test and i think i did well (?) my mama made me take it cause apparently its good to put on my college application. which is odd because i'm a freshman in high school and its a tad early for that.. korean parents -.- well, its kind of nearing the end of this fic and its gonna be a bittersweet ending for myself :/ i dun't want it to end but at the same time i have so many ideas for new fics that keep popping out from nowhere.

i hope everyone has been well this past week (: i sure did enjoy spring break while it lasted.

AND HOLY MOTHA ALKSJDFALKSDFJ KANGIN IS BACK. YES. i've been counting down ever since he enlisted and my friend two years ago was like "oh when he comes back no one's gonna remember him" and i stopped talking to her for like a month BUT two years+ has passed and my suju bias IS OFFICIALLY BACK.

this angst fic is kinda going thru a "cute' stage. LOL i hope you guys don't mind and its not too gushy... but i feel bad for torturing seohyun & myungsoo's lives all the time.

QUESTION - i know it might be to early for this but... sequel?

alrite, i'll see you guys with another update soon - but until then take care<3한나.