27

The Girl Who Can't Break Up and the Boy Who Can't Leave

Seohyun

Our fights became more frequent as time passed by. Woohyun would get pissed off over something so miniscule and he would nag me about it. I would roll my eyes and it would start an argument.

One small disagreement led to a waging war.

Then, we'd make up but the cycle would restart itself the next day.

I was going insane.

On top of that, Howon still wasn't answering all my calls and texts. I knew he was ignoring me because whenever I went online on webcam chat, he would immediately go offline. I was clueless on electronics but I wasn't dumb.

As for Woohyun, we were basically falling apart. I thought what we had would last a while. He was all I ever wanted in a guy but I guess we went flying up in our happiness so quickly, we came crashing down that much faster. In a time span of about 3 weeks, we came plummeting down to reality.

Right now, we were involved in another fight. The last thing I wanted to see was his face. I didn't even remember what the fight was about. I went over to his house to surprise him but he wasn't in a good mood. He basically told me to "Get the hell out" and it was all bad from there.

But I missed him and I wanted us to go back to what I thought we were.

And this was the process of how I would cave in and find it in myself to apologize to him first. In the end, someone had to apologize before we broke up, right? Because as much as he was driving me to the edge nowadays, I don't know what I would do if he left.

I stared at my front door, waiting for it to click open with a smiling Woohyun on the other side of the door frame but for a whole 4 hours, it stayed closed. I buried my face in my hands and let out a miserable sigh. Face it Seohyun, your going to have to go out at 1 AM and find him and apologize to him. 

For once though, I just wished that he would come running to me and say "sorry" before I had to.

I made a compromise with myself and decided that I would wait another five minutes and if he didn't come running through the door, I would go out and find him.

And for the next 5 minutes, I kept shifting my steady glare from the door to the clock, as the minute hand ticked to its place and the door remained pitifully shut. I sighed and accepted my defeat, putting on my coat as I slipped on my shoes and grabbed my phone and car keys off of the dining table. Yet again, I would be the one apologizing. Even if it wasn't my fault. Even if it was almost never my fault.

I shut the lights and turned the knob to my front door, turning around to lock my apartment behind me. When I turned around again, I saw a black coat in front of me. I yelped before I followed the coat up to look at the person's face.

"Sh, people are sleeping," the person said. My senses jumped at the sound of that familiar voice. Myungsoo.

"Why are you here?" I whispered, still surprised.

"I was helping my friend move in upstairs," he pointed to the floor above us.

"This late?" I asked.

"No, I stayed for food and everyone's drunk so I left," he grinned.

"Why are you down on this floor, then?" I asked with suspicion.

"I was just wondering if you still lived here," he coughed switching the subject, "So where are you going at this hour?"

"To find Woohyun," I muttered. He frowned, "Why?"

"It's a long story," I mumbled and walked towards the elevator, rubbing my hands together for warmth as I felt Myungsoo brush up against me. I stepped into the open lift and he stepped in with me. I didn't really think much of it, I mean he was probably going home.

But when I started to head towards the bus to go to Woohyun's apartment and Myungsoo followed my every foot step, I frowned and turned around, "Are you following me?"

"Girls shouldn't be out this late. I don't want you to die tonight," he said, sliding up to walk beside me. I stared at him and he smiled down at me. I took a deep breath and kept walking, our arms awkwardly brushing up against each other as the yellow street lights lit our path, the cold midnight air caresseing our bodies.

"You don't talk much," Myungsoo said as if he didn't already know that. I showed him a small smile and went along my way as he slowed his quick pace to match my footsteps.

"Have I ever?" I chuckled.

"Well no," he mumbled, "But you used to talk more than this."

"There's nothing to say," I told him, avoiding his gaze on me. Like I said, I was not making any plans about becoming "buddies" with him again. "Why isn't there? I'm wondering about how your life was since we've...," he stopped himself there. I remained quiet.

"You know," he said, breaking the golden silence I created, "You shouldn't even be the one looking for Woohyun. He's the guy. I'm pretty sure whatever's going on between you two- it's his fault."

How would he know?

Why would he just come into my life to suddenly tell me what my boyfriend did right and wrong?

"Who are you to talk?"

Now it was his turn to be silent.

"Look, that was in the past-" he started.

I blocked his voice out and thought happy thoughts as cruel words threatened to pop out of my mouth. I kept my mouth closed shut tight before I made a mistake with my words. If it's in the past, why do you keep showing up in my life right now to ruin my future? I wanted to say. If it's in the past, why do you keep mentioning it?

We made it to the front of Woohyun's apartment and I practically shoved Myungsoo away from my boyfriend's front door. I took a deep breath and composed myself of what I was going to say before I made a light knock on the door, almost scared to see if he would open or not.

I waited for a moment or two before I knocked again, this time a little harder.

I heard shuffling inside the apartment before the door latched open with Woohyun standing in the doorway. "Seohyun," he said. I could tell that he wasn't expecting me. I mean, it was 1 in the morning. I analyzed him in his pajamas and bedhead and sighed. I should've just waited until tomorrow morning.

"I'm sorry, Woohyun," I apologized, "We shouldn't have fought over whatever we fought about and it's all my fault." I heard Myungsoo scoffing from the stairs I pushed him towards and Woohyun frowned, "Is there someone here?"

"Not that I know of," I fibbed.

"Okay," Woohyun said slowly.

"Well, I'm sorry," I said.

"What are you sorry about?" he crossed his arms and leaned against the door. I hated that I had to apologize to him for something that I didn't even do. I had to up all the pride I had to do apologize like this.

"For picking a fight when you were tired from work," I said, my breath in. He stared at me, probably with a debate going on in his mind: whether to accept me or whether to stay mad. I had to admit that this whole situation was stupid and childish. I felt ridiculed and judged by the way he stood, staring, pursing his lips at me.

"Fine, babe," Woohyun said. He smiled and I smiled a small smile back at him as he tugged on my hand, pulling me towards his body to hug him.

"," I heard a whisper from the stairs. Woohyun quickly parted from the hug, "Did you hear that? I threw a look of daggers toward where I pushed Myungsoo, knowing the curse word came from his mouth.

I sent Myungsoo a mental message to stay quiet and to leave me alone but he obviously didn't recieve it because just then, he stepped out of the shadows of the stairwell, glaring at Woohyun with an extremely enraged look on his face.

"Why is he...?" Woohyun turned to me, "Did you bring him here?"

"No," I retorted. It wasn't a lie. I didn't bring Myungsoo here, he simply followed me. But the look on Myungsoo's face must've told Woohyun otherwise because he turned back to me, his eyes digging into the top of my head. "Don't lie," Woohyun said stiffly.

"She's not lying," Myungsoo in.

"So you just decided to follow my girlfriend at 1 AM to my house?" Woohyun asked, sarcasm and disgust coating his voice.

"I did," Myungsoo walked up towards where we were standing, "And I'm going to take her away now." Myungsoo fiercly grabbed my wrist, jerking me towards him. Woohyun stood there in disbelief as he scoffed, "Don't touch my girl."

"She's too good to be your girlfriend-"

"-Well she's way too good for you. Your the bastard that cheated on her," Woohyun stated.

"That was in the past," Myungsoo replied with grit teeth.

"Does it matter? You did it anyway. Do you think she possibly wants you when you ripped her heart out like that?"

Myungsoo loosened the grip on my wrist and stared at me. I dared to look up at his glazy eyes. "Whatever," Myungsoo said before he tightened the grip on my wrist again, half pulling, half dragging me down the stairs as I tried to get away from him.

I looked back to see Woohyun standing there as he ruffled his hair, frustrated, before he just rolled his eyes one last time, retreating back into his apartment.

Why wasn't Woohyun coming to save me?

"Myungsoo! STOP!" I screamed, trying to pry my wrist away from his grasp, "Are you going to keep walking until we get to Busan and fall into the ocean?" He threw my wrist down as I glared up at him, rubbing my aching skin.

"Why do you have to apologize to that guy?!" he yelled at me, "It's not even your fault, do you have to go to his house this early in the morning and say those words to him?! ing embarassing."

"Is this what this is about?" I spat back, "You don't even know the story!"

"I don't; but I do know that it's probably that bastard's fault!" Myungsoo his hand in the direction of Woohyun's apartment building as we stood there in the middle of the dark and almost vacant parking lot.

"It was my fault!" I screamed back at him. Lies. It wasn't my fault at all. "But other than that, why do you just randomly come back to my life and ruin my relationship with Woohyun?! As if you didn't do enough when you cheated on me!"

He stayed quiet.

"Your not any better than Woohyun," I said, each word full of bitterness, "Do you want to keep hurting me or something?!" I wanted to keep the harsh words coming but I saw a dark shadow cross his face as his expression changed from pissed off to regretful and sad in a split second.

I felt a pang of sorry in my heart as he stared at me with those dark eyes of his. They were so prominent even in the pitch dark. 

We just stood there as I let my anger simmer down.

"Seohyun," he said with a tearful voice, announciating each letter of my name. The way he said "Seohyun" brought chills to my body and goosebumps to my limbs. "You don't know how much I regret cheating on you."

I slowly looked up to see him gazing down at me softly. I swiftly diverted my eyes back to the concrete

"And I swear. If we ever loved again, I'd love you right," he said.

"If only you'd give me one chance. I'd do so much better than Woohyun," he murmured. This time, I glued my eyes to his, looking for any traces of lying or plain joking around. But all I saw was pain. I turned away and tried to keep myself from falling into Myungsoo's trap again. A few heartfelt words and good acting isn't going to change anything.

Myungsoo brought his hand near mine but I flinched, moving my hand away. He sighed sorrowfully and brought his own hand back to his side. Without another word, he walked away with heavy steps and his head lowered.

I watched his backside disappear and kept staring even after he was long gone. Within a few more minutes, I heard huffing by my side and I turned towards the noise to see Woohyun. 

I opened my mouth to ask him why he came after about half an hour but he stopped me with his lips.

"I know your sorry," Woohyun whispered, "But it's okay, I forgive you."

I bitterly nodded as he hugged me and walked me back to my apartment.

"Thanks and sorry," I said, defeated, before he gave me one last kiss and walked towards the direction of his house.

I just didn't feel us anymore. But I was in denial. Who else would I have to live for? It had to be Woohyun. He basically patched me up after Myungsoo broke me apart.

Or am I still broken?

 

Myungsoo

 

"So stupid," I murmured as I beat myself up. Woohyun was right. Why would Seohyun want me after all the hell I put her through? Even if I were Seohyun, I would've thrown a punch at my face.

I glared at my broken face in the mirror, both enraged and devastatingly sad at the same time.

I wasn't lying when I told her that I regret cheating on her. I wasn't lying when I told her that I would love her the right way. Because I know that I was capable to, now that I knew that it had been Seohyun and only Seohyun all along.

I stared at my dirty room, now equipped with a cracked glass vase and broken furniture.

Yeah, I did that.

Crazy bastard.

But I wanted Seohyun so bad. I would do anything to make her mine. And it hurt so bad watching her with her hostility towards me. It killed me a little bit inside every time she stared at me with those eyes. Those eyes that were supposed to display love and affection.

But instead were displaying betrayal and hatred.

She probably did hate me. I don't blame her, though. I mean, look what I did to her. In fact, maybe Woohyun was a better boyfriend. He was there when I never was.

Now, I was just filled full with regrets. They were all the feelings I had now adays. Regrets and longing.

I shifted my stare down to my bloody fist I punched practically everything with. Maybe I took everything a little too far. I shouldn't have ruined the furniture in my room and thrown everything around. But I was just so upset that she probably couldn't even be mine ever again.

And it didn't matter about the pain in my hand. It was a miniscule prick in comparison to the huge dent in my heart.

Like they say- when your heart hurts, your whole body hurts.