17

The Girl Who Can't Break Up and the Boy Who Can't Leave

I got home and slugged past the doorway when I noticed the package from the morning. While taking off my shoes, I picked up the bags and took a peek inside of them. I frowned as I took out a bunch of random, cute little knick-knacks.

I recognized a couple of them from yesterday- when I was looking around Myungdong.

Did I have a stalker?

I didn't know whether to feel scared or grateful. So I decided on the latter and curiously went through each of the bags. I tried looking around for tags or a card but I couldn't find any. I felt burdensome but it wasn't like I asked anyone to buy all this for me.

I left the "gifts" on the coffee table and went into my room to change into my home-clothes which consisted of basketball shorts and a shirt, along with my hair up in a ponytail. I went into the kitchen and took out a packet of ramen and put the water on the stove to boil.

Ramen again. I was surprised I still managed to get that stuff down my throat. I knew how to cook- but I was too busy to buy groceries. On top of that, ramen was easiest and fastest to make. Besides, even if I made delicious food for myself, it wouldn't be as yummy as if someone else made it for me.

I stared at the water boiling in the pot and turned the stove off and poured the water in the sink, watching the water swirl down the stainless silver drain. For some reason, my appetite suddenly disappeared.

I crashed onto my couch, ignoring my grumbling stomach, hulled my laptop onto my belly and surfed the internet, taking advantage of the free time I never got nowadays.

Myungsoo

Ever wrote a letter that you couldn't send anyway?

I've done it a billion times- and all to the same person- like an idiot.

I guess I'm what you'd call "back to normal" from all that heartbreak and tears but my crushing, wretched, onerous love for her will remain forever. Whether I like it or not. I still go out every night, staring at the night sky. Maybe me and Seohyun are looking at the same shining star.

I played with our meaningless couple ring lousily as I smiled once again, trying to escape the environment of the now-high class office room I worked at.

- - -

"Kim Myungsoo."

I looked up to see my boss walking towards me with her long, thin arms crossed and a yellow manila envelope in her perfectly manicured fingers. She unfolded her arms and shook the envelope with a freaky smile on her face.

I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes?"

"Look what you got," she slid the envelope across my dark mahogony desk and I stopped it with my finger before it slid off of it. I looked at her and she nodded as I opened it. I opened the envelope to find a magazine along with a letter tucked inside of it. I ignored the letter because of the oh-so familiar front page of the magazine.

"That's my picture." I said bluntly. It was. Not a picture of my face- no, but it was one of the pictures I took and submitted into a photo contest.

"This might become your huge photography break-through," she clacked her long, red fingernails on the desk, staring at me viciously in the eyes, "Read the letter."

I obeyed and un-folded the letter.

"They want to set up a contract with me," I said. I skimmed over the black words again, not believing my eyes. She leaned back and smiled, almost more satisfied at the news than I was.

"So now what?" I let my eyes leave the paper and looked up at her questioningly.

"You get to move your office up with the bad boys," she grinned and whipped out a promotion letter. I ignored her stupid wording and let a smile flash across my face. Finally. My life is actually going somewhere. Believe it or not, I actually have a life outside of crying over Seohyun.

"Thank you," I bowed to her.

"Be ready to move into the upstairs offices by tomorrow," she called as she strut away in her clacking stilletos.

I set the letter down and picked up the magazine again and grinned at the little "Photography by Kim Myungsoo" in the corner of the page. I smiled in triumph, remembering the words and criticisms of the people around me and the hard times I had as one of the lowest of the Photography Food-Chain. Who said that I would never get famous by being a photographer?

- - -

But even I didn't know that this one promotion changed my life.

It's been two months since and as weird as it sounds coming out of my own mouth- I'm living in luxury. That night, some of my new colleagues and I went out to the most expensive bar in Kangnam, went to work the next day late, and no one yelled at us.

It's amazing.

On top of that, I'm being feautured and even getting love calls. I've been labeled: Photographer of the century. My popularity is increasing rapidly and I actually even got an offer from the company to move closer to the building into a penthouse. But for some reason- maybe. Just maybe because of me and Seo's memories- I just couldn't leave my pig stine of an apartment.

Also, I haven't excessively thought about Seohyun every single minute of my day.

And at times like this, when the cool yet warm winter wind blows around me and the memories scatter in my heart- when I actually do think about her- my heart doesn't start to ache. I smile, thinking of her, thinking of our memories together. I still want to see her- but I don't try to do anything about it because I don't think that feeling will ever leave. I just think: Yes, there was a time we used to be in love.

I just think... The best thing I have ever done was loving her. And somewhere in my heart, I still think that this can't be the end, but I learn to keep those feelings hidden deep inside of me.

Because the worst thing I have ever done was loving her.

We both weren't meant for each other and we figured it out in our own ways.

I can't help but regret all the mistakes because she was always with me when I was happy or sad, tired or exhausted even if I wasn't. But there's no point in useless thoughts like this now, right?

There's nothing new with me, I'm still alone.

And I hope that she wouldn't change that either.

But who am I to ask of her for stuff like this? And even if she did stay single, I couldn't even be with her again.

I feel like a bastard for not even taking all the crap I did to her to heart anymore. But just as they say, everything, even feelings fade with time.

I walked around Seohyun's familiar neighborhood. I felt a pang of nostalgia strike me as I passed by her favorite bakery. Strangely, though, the nostalgia didn't hurt. It was more like a beautiful longing. I stopped by and bought two of her favorite pasteries with chocolate mousse inside of the sweet bread.

I ate one of them while I had the other one wrapped up in celophane and tied with a pink lace bow. I made my way across the street and stood in front of Seohyun's apartment and put the treat in her mail box.

From: L

I laughed at myself. I even made up a fake name for myself.

I felt like she wouldn't have time nowadays to even walk across the street to get bread. Hoya told me that she was super tired and barely had time to make herself food. I shut the small metal door of the mailbox closed and walked back to my office where people bowed to me multiple times. I smiled and waved at them. I was getting cocky.

But it didn't matter. I worked my off for this position.