Step 44: Cherish Every Moment

Saranghae Song Ji Hyo!!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the music is over, Ji Hyo took off the headphone and returned it to Jong Kook with a bright smile, "I really love it! You did amazing job with the song.. it's very.. emotional. Could it be that you wrote it for me?". He just chuckled without giving a definite answer, which made her perplexed by his facial expression. As the man simply ignored her question, she sulked and pouted since she could not get him to respond. It was a bit childish, but Jong Kook loved her adorable reaction. "Omo.. gwiyeopda!" he said and pinched her cheek, made her shouted "Yaa!" at him as if she disliked it.

 

Instead of leaving early, they waited till late evening to watch the sunset. She rested her head on his shoulder as the two sat side by side on the mat. Both of them were enjoying the beautiful scenery at the park, while their eyes observing the people around them. Not far from their spot, Ji Hyo's eyes caught a couple sitting on a bench while linking arms. She instantly envied their intimacy, "Aww.. what a lucky woman. The way he stares at her.. I can tell he really loves his girlfriend." Jong Kook shifted his focus to the pair that she mentioned and burst out laughing. Somehow his reaction has offended Ji Hyo, "What's so funny?"

 

"You," he briefly replied.

She looked at him with a clueless expression, "Me?"

Jong Kook nodded, "Didn't you realize how men have been staring at you all these years? Actually you're luckier than that woman. She only has one man. But you.. I had to work extremely hard just to make you mine."

"Aish oppa.. don't say that! Maybe what the men were after is not me.. but the perks that come with my name on it. That's exactly what happened between me and Woo Bin, remember?"

"Yaa.. you've forgotten about Gary and your husband, Joong Ki."

 

Although he was just teasing her, somehow she was affected by his words when he mentioned about her marriage to the youngest member of the Unlucky Brothers. Despite they have reached an agreement to seek for divorce, nothing could erase her guilt towards her 'husband'. Throughout their marriage, she never really regarded him as her life partner and not even once they spent time together as a married couple. It was obvious that she had taken advantage on Joong Ki's affection for her and Ji Hyo hated herself for her selfish attitude.

 

As she suddenly became untalkative, Jong Kook was curious, "Waeyo? Is something bothering you?"

She heaved a sigh, "I'm such a bad person, oppa. When I think about it.. I realized it was me who brought bad luck to you and your brothers. Look at how we all ended. Sometimes.. I wish I wasn't born.."

 

"Shhh," he put her finger on her lips. Then he tilted her chin towards him so her eyes would be staring into his, "Maybe you haven't realized.. but I'm one of the many people who are thankful to have you born, Ji Hyo. I couldn't imagine how dull my life would be if you are not part of it. Yes I was hurt knowing that you're married to one of my best friends, but I understand now that it was done on purpose. So please.. never feel bad about the things that we went through, cause I never regret every second of it."

 

"Thank you for saying that, oppa. Does that mean you have forgave me.. and Joong Ki?"

"To tell you the truth.. I'm still trying. It's not easy to simply accept that.. you're married to someone else.. and that someone is Joong Ki."

"I understand," she nodded with head lowered down. A heavy sigh escape from , "Mianhaeyo, oppa. You must be disappointed with us." After a long pause, she continued, "Oppa.. can I ask you something?"

"You can ask me anything."

"Aren't you going to continue your father's legacy.. now that Woo Bin is away?"

 

Indeed it was a simple yet difficult question for him to answer. From the beginning, Jong Kook had no intention to get involve in the world of business, especially when that was the reason for his mother to be 'betrayed' by his own father who married Woo Bin's mother for the sake of building his own empire. He saw how money had destroyed his family's happiness, therefore Jong Kook had chosen to live a decent life instead. Nevertheless, he knew that in the absence of Woo Bin, no one else is in better position to manage his father's company. Still, he was hesitated to do it, "You know my heart is not into that.. and I don't care if someone else is willing to takeover the business. I'm happy with the way I am."

 

"Even if I'm asking you to do it?" she asked, to which made him confused since she was persistent with the idea of taking over the responsibility as CEO of the Kim's empire. He bega

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter