project

unlucky(?) life

"I hate cakes," Tao said as he flipped the recipe book with his flour coated hand.  He threw the recipe book on the ground and sat.  He raked his hand through his hair and sighed.  Kris walked in the kitchen and eyed the disaster.  He looked at the messy surfaces and looked for places to step.  His eyes landed on the frustrated Tao.

"What are you trying to do?" Kris asked.

"Bake a cake," Tao said.  "It's not going to well though."  He pouted.

Kris chuckled and bent down.  He picked up the abandoned recipe book and flipped the pages. 

"What's the cake for?" he asked.

"American History," Tao replied.  

"Why America?" Kris asked.

"That's the country I was assigned," Tao said.  "I wanted Korea but some guy named Suho got that."

Kris picked up some stuff from the ground and threw them away before standing up when he assumed it was safe to step.  He put the recipe book on the counter and washed his hands. 

"Do you need a certain type of cake?"  he asked.  "Or can you choose?"

"Any type," Tao said. 

Kris nodded and picked up the recipe book again.  He flipped through the pages until he stopped at one.  He scanned the page before putting it back down and going to the cupboards.  He opened them and took stuff out while clearing stuff off the counter.  He would pick up the book and glance at it before picking stuff out again.  He opened the dishwasher and took out a big bowl and grabbed a whisk out of the drawer.  He gave the whisk to Tao and headed towards the fridge.  Tao eyed him curiously.

"What are you doing?" Tao asked.

"Helping you get a good grade," Kris said.  He got some ingredients and put them on the counter.  "Now stir while I put in the ingredients."

Tao nodded and stood up.  Kris took some of the ingredients he previously put on the counter and measured them before dumping it in the bowl.  Tao couldn't help the small smile creeping on his face when he stirred while glancing at Kris every once in a while.

They worked in silence until Lay came out of his room and walked into the kitchen.  

"What the is this?" he asked while glancing around at the not-as-messy-as-before-but-still-really-messy kitchen.

"Baking a cake for history," Tao said.  "Kris is helping me."

Lay looked at Kris and Kris nodded.  "Why is it so messy?" Lay asked.

"This is before I came," Kris said.  He was obviously putting the blame on Tao and the panda couldn't help but feel a little offended.

Lay nodded in understanding.  "I can kinda guess that," he said.

Kris added in the last of the ingredients while Tao continued stirring and Lay watched.

"There will be extra batter later," Kris said and took a tray out from somewhere.  He sprayed it with baking spray and placed it next to the bowl.  "When your done stirring, pour the batter in the tray and put it in the oven."  He pointed to the oven he a few minutes ago.  "Set a timer for 15 minutes."

Tao nodded.  "Okay," he said.

Kris left the kitchen and walked to the livingroom.  Tao finished stirring and poured in the batter.  He opened the oven and slid the tray in.  

"Help me clean," he said to Lay.

Lay scoffed.  "You want me to clean your mess?" he asked.  "Why should I?"  He turned to walk away when something hit his arm.  He looked at the ground and saw the whisk covered with cake batter.  He glanced at his favourite shirt that now had batter on the sleeves.  He rolled his eyes and Tao smirked.  "You're so ing childish."  

Tao was about to retort when his eyes widened and he quickly dodged the whisk that was thrown at him.  He accidently hit his head on the dirty counter.  Lay laughed at him and Tao glared.  Lay continued his laughing and clutched his stomache.  Tao took the bowl with the extra batter and flung it at the unicorn.  Lay stopped laughing and soon a fight broke out.

Kris sighed from the living room and picked up his phone.  He glanced at the kitchen before setting a timer for 15 minutes.  He chuckled when he heard Tao's girly war cry.  Luhan opened the front door and walked in.  

"I'm home," he said.  He looked around.  "What's going on?"

"They're having a cat fight in the kitchen,"  Kris said.  "Don't go to your room yet until they're done."

Luhan nodded and sat on the couch.  The two watched TV while the other two continued to fight. The timer rang  and Kris decided to go in the kitchen.  

"Wait Kris," Luhan called out before the elder could go in.

"What?" he asked.

"I think Onew has a bulletproof vest somewhere at his house," Luhan said.  "You should go get that first."

"I'm fine," Kris said.  He walked into the kitchen and the fighting stopped.  Kris put on some oven mits and took the cake out of the oven.  He took out some frosting and a knife.  He looked at the two.  "You two will frost then clean up."The two nodded and started frosting.  

The cake was now red, white, and blue like the American flag.  Tao poked his head around the corner.

"YiFan!" he called out.  "Write some English on here."

Kris soon came into the kitchen.  "What do you want me to write?" he asked.

"We the people," Tao said.  

Kris opened a drawer and took out a plastic sandwitch bag. He put some frosting in it and tied the opening.  He cut a small hole at the bottom and began writing.  In big letters, he wrote We the People in a fancy style.  When he finished, he put some of his frosting on his finger.  Lay looked at him curiously.  Kris smiled and turned around.  He smeared the frosting on Tao's nose.  

"Learn English," Kris said.  He walked out of the kitchen and back to the livingroom.  Tao pretended to glare at his retreating figure but was blushing madly.

"What'd you do?" Luhan asked when he saw Kris sit down smiling.  

"I helped a baby panda," Kris said.

~~~~~~~~~

Sorry it took awhile.  I've had a bad week.  I didn't get accepted to the highschool I wanted and I was supposed to update this chapter three days ago but my brother restarted the internet and it was deleted. I kinda got too lazy to type it again.  Thank you for reading.  I don't know how many chapters this will take but I'm also gonna try to update my other story The Closet Monster