The Letters

Be My Girlfriend?

 

 

Chapter 38

 

The white room was much brighter as the sun started to rise. Mrs. Cho was busy slicing fruits while waiting for the girl in front her to wake up. “Sooyeon~ah, how did you end up like this? What did you do to deserve all this?” sighed the old lady as she eyed the girl with sorrow in her own eyes.

 

Mrs. Cho remebered very well the day when Sooyeon's mother told her to take care of her daughter once she's gone. It's sad to know the hardships the girl had gone through while she was away in a foreign country.

 

She must be very disappointed if she ever find out how you went through your life. Mianhe Sooyeonnie, I didn't take good care of you!” whispered the motherly lady as she held the girl's hand.

 

As if on cue, Sooyeon's eyes fluttered open. “Omma...” said Sooyeon barely audible. “Sooyeonnie! You're awake! Do you know how long you've been unconcious?” asked Mrs. Cho greatly relief as she saw the girl finally gaining conciousness.

 

Sooyeon shook her head and soon found out she was already unconcious for three days!

 

Omma wanted to call for the doctor but Sooyeon insisted to call them later on, instead she want to spend some time with the person she always regard as her own mother.

 

Sooyeonnie, are you feeling hurt any where?” asked omma with concern in her eyes. Sooyeon shook her head from side to side, “Aniyo omma, I'm feeling fine now!”

 

Despite her worries the old lady nodded and smile. “If you're not feeling hurt would you tell me what's bothering you?” queried omma with a soft smile. Sooyeon hesitate for a second but didn't exactly know how to tell omma what's bothering her.

 

It's fine if you don't want to...” voiced out omma as she understand completely that the girl might feel uncomfortable. “It's actually about Kyuhyun...” admitted Sooyeon as she start to play with her fingers.

 

Oh, what's wrong with him?” asked omma furrowing her brows. “Nothing, it's just I'm curious how he's doing lately...”

 

He...” omma paused and sighed, “He's so busy recently! He's always heading out so early yet he comes back late at night. I'm tired of telling him to come home earlier and all that.”

 

Sooyeon can see the disappointment in her omma's eyes. She was about to comfort her but omma said more which cause Sooyeon's heart to ache, “Do you know he finally has a girlfriend? But I don't like her! I think she's the reason why he's changing and acting so weird lately...”

 

Omma didn't notice the change in Sooyeon's mood until she saw the tears forming in the girl's eyes. “Sooyeonnie, do you have something to tell me?” asked omma but not wanting to give any pressure to the girl.

 

Omma, what if I tell you it's all my fault that all this happen? That Kyu's changing and suffering because of me...” blurted out Sooyeon as one by one the tears roll down her cheeks.

 

Omma let out a huge sigh and patted the girl's back while giving her a hug. “Soo, you're like my own daughter and I know you. It's not possible for all this to happen just because of you...”

 

Don't think that way and tell me everything from the start so we can solve this...” advised the old lady as she sat on the bed beside the girl.

 

Sooyeon started from way back from the time she came back and started to live in their house. She also told omma about the fake girlfriend contract until the recent incident where she was kidnapped by the crazy mafia leader. But all that she revealed with some details remained hidden.

 

Oh my! Sooyeon, I never knew you and Kyuhyun were dating!” squealed omma as Sooyeon finished her last sentence.

 

Well not really but yeah...” mumbled Sooyeon blushing heavily. “Aigoo, I think I'd be hundred times happier if you're the one who's dating my son rather than that girl who always pops up at our front door...” teased omma.

 

Now back to the problem, how are we going to solve this?” said omma talking to herself. “Before that I would like to ask you something, dear.”

 

Sooyeon glanced at the old lady, “Yes omma?” Mrs. Cho beamed at her before asking, “Do you like Kyuhyun?”

 

Sooyeon dropped her jaw since it's probably the first time anyone had asked her that and in such a direct manner. Sooyeon was red by the time she told her answer, “I think so, omma...”

 

The reaction she got was far from what she had expected. Her omma burst out giggling like a teenager would. “Yes!! You can finally be my daughter-in-law!” cheered Mrs. Cho with happiness which leaves Sooyeon wide eyes.

 

Ah mianhe Soo, but I never thought this day would come! Plus, I'm sure Kyuhyun loves you too! Just reading those letters I can t-ell...” Omma stopped her sentence midway and face the now confused Sooyeon.

 

Ah I remember something! I brought this...” said omma as she busied herself with finding something. She then pulled out a box and handed it over to Sooyeon.

 

Honey, I would like you to read it when you have time. Inside the box are letters which you will find out from whom once you read it...” explained omma suddenly losing the giggliness.

 

I know I might be invading someone's privacy here but I was too curious and couldn't help it,” confessed the old lady with a heavy heart. “Just read it when you have time...”

 

I'll call the doctor before I leave I still need to go to Mrs. Park's restaurant to help her...” stated Mrs. Cho as she stood to leave. Sooyeon eyed the box and wonder what's inside.

 

Omma, thank you for talking and keeping me company...” thanked Sooyeon as a small smile formed on her lips. “Gwenchana Soo, it's nothing!”

 

Sooyeon proceed to open the box and one by one she open the letter inside starting from the oldest one. As she read one letter to another her tears couldn't stop flowing. They just keep on rolling down her cheeks like a tsunami.

 

All the letters were written by Kyuhyun and apparently those were the letters that Sooyeon failed to receive. Seems like omma had collected it whenever the mail would get send back. At the bottom of the box Sooyeon found something.

 

Dear Sooyeonnie,

 

First of all, forgive omma who had probably read all the letters, but the reason why I'm slipping this letter of mine is because I never told Kyuhyun about this.

 

The first time he send you a letter was the week after you left. That time the letter should have reach you since you probably wouldn't have change address yet. He thought that all the letters were sent to you but he never know that his letters were mostly sent back after the first month.

 

I remembered how disappointed he was to find once that his letter never reached you but what he told me was unbelievable. He said that he would still write to you no matter what even if there's no single reply.

 

He did keep his words though and I remembered very well that the last letter he wrote was before graduation when he told me that it would be the last time he'll write a letter if he reveice no reply.

 

Sicne I kept the truth away from him, he never know that he'll probably never recevie a reply from you. I'm sorry, dear but I just couldn't bear the disappointment that he would have face that time if I had told him the real truth.

 

Sooyeon bit her lips so hard that it actually draw blood. But all that wouldn't stop her tears which are now wetting the letters. Quickly, she wipe it away so it won't stain the letters.

 

The girl sat there in the room alone with all the letters scattered around her. Then as if nothing else in the world matter, Sooyeon took off the needle injected on her hand.

 

Quickly, Sooyeon slipped into her normal clothes and head out before the doctor would come check on her. Fortunately, no one suspect her as she slipped out from the hospital to find the one and only person she wants to see now.