Same Pace

It Takes Two

[Author POV]

Heawon eyes him up and down, her ears processing all the beats the song was playing. Her competitive side springs to the surface and she flashes a one sided smile. “Are you asking for a challenge?”

Seungri’s smirk changes into a full out grin. “I think I—one of the best dancers in YG High—should see what you can do.”

She raises her eyebrow slowly, keeping her one sided smile intact. “Conceited now, aren’t we?”

“Well,” Seungri says, stepping back. He sweeps his arm towards the whole room. “Who should start off?”

The strong music continues to blare through the speakers. Just like in a fight, the dancers circle each other, their steps following along with the beats. They analyze each other, noting what their weakest and strongest points could be. The song gradually reaches its , and both of them jump into the circle they made. They both flash a y, confident smile as they come face to face. Heawon places her hand on Seungri’s chest and pushes him away, making him stumble back.

With a smile still on her face, she twirls smoothly. Dance steps are already playing in her head. She starts to sway her body; going soft then quickly turning hard once the beats gets more detailed. She knows how to pop and lock her body well. She finishes just before the hook of the song comes. She jumps in front of Seungri, ending her dance with a haughty flip of her hair and a radiant smile.

The hook of the song starts to build up, and Seungri arrogantly brushes her off. He does a series of unique steps and a load of gentle yet aggressive hand motions. He secretly smiles during a turn. He never knew he had this much in him. He was glad that Heawon was here, actually, because she brings out the determination and the competitive side out of him with ease. Seungri finishes with a charismatic pop of his collar.

Heawon stares at him in awe, but in a flash, she did a few series of steps and quickly ends with another haughty look on her face. One of the things she loves to do. After every dance she does, she will always end it with a clean, charismatic, and haughty look. She knows exactly what it made her look; a superior feel. A rapid flow of beats blare and Seungri takes it as his opportunity to finally end this battle, with him dominating. But, the same time Seungri starts, so does Heawon. She finally assessed his weak and strong points.

He can twirl with ease, but he places his feet into position too early, She thought as she quickly fell into step with him. As if reading straight from a book, she swiftly mirrors his next set.

She learns fast, Seungri thought as he watches her breath heavily, although, even if she looks really fit, she loses her breath too fast.

Finally knowing their weakest and strongest points, the strongest part of the song plays throughout the room. They were circling each other, only this time they were doing this while dancing. Their eyes meet and they both spot the ghost of the smile on their sweaty faces. Simultaneously, they both jump gracefully into the middle, face to face once again. This time, they flash a smile.

Their confidence was up.

They start dancing in front of each other, but their eyes never left the other. Suddenly, the music faded into the background and their heavy breathing was the only thing whispering in their ears. Heawon spins and Seungri unconsciously grabs her wrist. Without leaving her eyes, he encircles his other arm around her slim waist and dips her. During that, the music ends with a big bang, and Seungri leans his head down enough for his breaths to touch her neck. Her long hair hangs down as Heawon leans her head back. She closes her eyes from the light tickle.

Seungri pulls his head back slightly the same time Heawon opens her eyes. Their eyes meet once again and they stare intensely at each other’s features. Seungri watches as beads of sweat trickle down from her forehead to her temple. He stares at the curve of her eyes, the form of her lips, the color of her cheeks… Then he brings his eyes back up to meet hers.

Heawon’s stomach flutters furiously as she meets his brown eyes. She feels him unclasp his hand from her wrist and touches her face. She feels him caress her cheekbones softly. She looks down at his lips briefly and she watches them part. Without thinking, she takes in a sharp inhale. Her eyes slightly widen as his face nears hers. The movement makes both of their hearts thump rapidly.

Then a sudden realization dawns on Heawon.

She blinks a few times, trying to process what’s happening right at this moment. In a flash, she eases out of Seungri’s arms. Heawon takes a few steps back as Seungri straightens up, perplexed.

“What’s wrong?” He asks, taking a few steps towards her. Heawon takes a few more steps back. Seungri stops and looks at her face. She nervously nibbles on her bottom lip as she clenches and unclenches her fist.

“What’s wrong?” He repeats. He was slowly starting to get worried. Did he do something bad? Just when he was about to take a few more steps closer, she shakes her head, making her damp hair sway.

This is wrong.” She quietly says.

“What?” Seungri asks, not understanding. He finally manages to take a couple of steps closer to her.

“What we were about to do…” She murmurs, looking down at her feet.

Seungri silently walks and stands in front of her. He grabs her chin and tilts her face up to look at him. He searches her eyes, but he can’t seem to read it when there were so many emotions running around.

“Promise me that this will never happen again.” She whispers. He softly inhales, taking in her vanilla scent. But he pauses when her words sink in. Deep.

“Promise what will never happen again?”

He knows what she means, but he doesn’t want to admit it. He doesn’t want to acknowledge it. Because he wants to do it; he wants her to stop talking, to stop rejecting him. They were so close.

Heawon intently searches his eyes as Seungri thinks. She sighs. She knows he understands what she’s talking about. She reaches up and grasps the hand that was holding her chin. She takes his hand away and his arm limply falls to his side. She walks towards the door, her hand on the doorknob.

“I think you know what I’m talking about, Seungri.” She mutters.