New Lesson

It Takes Two

 

[Seungri POV]

Okay, so Heawon is really smart.

I should’ve known she would know the reason why I’m taking her out. My stomach does a little back flip as my words repeat over in my head. I’m taking her out; I’m taking her out… I’m taking her out! Does this count as a date? Not able to hold it in, I laugh out loud. Heawon stares at me weirdly, and I simply smile in response.

We enter the market and I grab a cart on the way in. Playfully, Heawon pushes me away and grabs a hold of the cart. “I would always push the cart whenever I go to the market with someone.” She explains. So, I let her be and walk beside her, keeping one hand on the bar as well. I search my pocket and pull out a list. I may be doing this just for Heawon to loosen up, but Jiyong hyung just couldn’t waste an opportunity to get me to buy some extra groceries.

“Okay. So, I need eggs, milk, orange juice, ice cream, and some bread.” I tell Heawon. She nods, still looking around the market. Seeing the sign, I point to the aisle with the drinks. “Come on, we should get the milk and orange juice first.”

Once there, I leave the cart with Heawon and pick out the milk and orange juices. Since when did we ever start drinking orange juice? I shake my head and put the stuff in the cart anyway. “I didn’t know you guys drank orange juice.” Heawon says, eyeing the yellow liquid. I shrug and place my hand back on the bar as we start walking.

“Bread.” Heawon states, pointing two aisles down. As we start walking, I make small talk.

“See? Isn’t this better than jogging everyday?” I ask, my voice light.

She rolls her eyes. “Jogging is in my blood. I need to jog everyday.”

“Don’t you ever slack off?” I ask, curious.

“Why would I slack off? There’s so many things I could be doing rather than sitting lazily on a couch.”

“Well, don’t you have any fun? I mean don’t you go out or something?”

“I have fun, you know. I’m not that boring.” She rolls her eyes once more and continues, “Besides, I go out with my friends every weekend.”

“You go to a club every weekend then?” I blurt out. She stops and freezes. I give myself a mental kick in the face. Crap! Where the hell did that come from? I glance at her from the corner of my eyes. She lets out a deep sigh and turns to look at me in the eyes.

“Look, Seungri, do me a favor and forget what happened at that club. I’m trying to keep all of you at a professional relationship, but I’m already struggling with you.” Then quietly she says, “I’m too comfortable with you already.”

I smile despite her harsh words. I link my arm with hers and give it a tug. “Come on, let’s finish these groceries.”

She complies without another word on the previous subject. I instantly grab my favorite kind of bread without any hesitation. I my lips at the bread longingly. Heawon softly laughs as I toss the pack of bread into the cart. “You can’t get that kind.” Heawon says.

“What?” I ask, whirling around to look at her.

She laughs once more and points to the list in her hands. “It says right here in capital letters next to the word ‘bread’: ‘Lee Seunghyun, I swear to god that you better not get that bread you love. Get the ones we’re supposed to eat. Love, Jiyong hyung’.”

“Aish.” I growl. Pouting, I shove the bread back into the shelves and I grab the nasty wheat bread from another shelf. “Come on. Let’s go.” I mutter. My head snaps up as I hear Heawon’s light laugh. She passes by me and grabs my pack of my favorite kind.

“Shh…” She softly puts her finger on her lips. “I’ll get it for you.”

A bright smile spreads across my lips. “Would you buy me some candy, too?”

She shakes her head and lets out a giggle, making me smile wider. “No, I think you’re energetic enough.”

Because of her, our atmosphere got lighter once more. We happily got the rest of the groceries with laughter and jokes. We get to the last aisle to get a carton of eggs. “Hurry up, will you? This took us an two hours already.” Heawon laughs behind me. I check my watch. Huh. Sure enough, it’s already eight o’clock. Good thing I turned off all my hyung’s alarm clocks or else I would be getting ten persistent calls by now. I place my hands on my hips as I purse my lips.

What kind did we get again? I scratch my head in confusion. Then I hear a soft whimper. I look at Heawon. She raises an eyebrow. “What?” She asks. I shake my head and look to the right. A girl about our age in an electric-powered wheelchair whimpers once more as she tries to reach for the eggs on the top shelf. I quickly walk over to her and grab for the carton of eggs. I gently hand it to her with a soft smile.

“Oh!” She exclaims. “Thank you.” She smiles up at me.

“You’re welcome.” I bite my lip then add, “If I may ask, how old are you?”

“I’m twenty-six years old.” She says. “Why?”

“Just wondering. You’re too young to be in a wheelchair.” I reply.

“If I may ask, what happened to you that got you into the wheelchair?” Heawon asks, appearing by my side and slipping her arm around mine.

A sad smile appears on the girl’s face, and she suddenly looked 10 years older than what she is. “I got in a car crash when I was sixteen because of a drunk driver. I’ve been in this wheelchair for ten years now.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry.” Heawon gasps, covering . “It must be hard.”

“Not really.” The girl says, her smile happy now. “I have a loyal husband and a good family by my side. Even though I loved sports deeply, I’m content with the life I have now.” She glances at her watch. “If you’ll excuse me, I have to go now. Thank you again for helping me.” She tells me. Before she turns around, she flashes one more smile and leaves.

“That’s really sad.” I hear Heawon whisper. I sigh and grab the first carton of eggs I see. “To be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life…” Heawon whispers once more.

“I would rather die than lose my ability to walk.” I softly mumble.

She nods in agreement. We start making our way to the check out line. “Just think about it… Losing that precious ability. We won’t be able to walk, to run, and to jump around… To dance.”

We both stiffen at her last words. We lock eyes and something passes between us, something we both know what we feel right at this moment. To lose the ability to walk, which would result us not being able to dance. Seeing as how much dancing seems to be our life, losing our legs is like losing our soul. The message going through us was pretty clear:

We would rather die than continue living our lives in a wheelchair.