Improving For The Worst

It Takes Two

 

[Seungri POV]

I scratch the back of my head at her explanation. “Isn’t this too dangerous?” I ask hesitantly.

She looks at me questioningly. “No, not really. If we practice enough, we can do it.”

“But… if you do this move then instantly do the next,” I say while copying her explanation. “You’ll probably hurt your arms again.”

She rolls her eyes. “Let’s try it then.”

“No!” I shout, suddenly scared. “You’ll be too disoriented after the first flips then you’ll miscalculate the landing! You could bust your head open!”

She stares at me for a few moments before going to the closet to pull out a few mats. I realize what she’s doing and I help her set it up. After a few minutes, I stand across from her, fidgeting. “Are you sure?” I ask nervously.

“Let’s just try it once.” She stares at me evenly. “We’ll be fine.”

“Arasso.” I breathe out shakily.

The music for our dance begins and we instantly find ourselves into the music. We move and sway our bodies with the rhythm. The music turns complicated and we start doing our stunts. We start off with the regular flips, but it’s reversed this time. Heawon does the flips twice and does the head spin while I stand by the sidelines and watch her uneasily. She lands both and does a perfect spin. I run back in and smoothly grab her shoes. I bend over and carry her on my shoulders.

I watch her bend backwards through the mirror and I bend backwards as well, making sure her hands reach the floor. She finishes the back flip and I quickly land on my hands, on a handstand. I flip and land on my feet. We dance rapidly and smoothly, going along with the beats. Next, my mind goes alert as we do the next stunt. I cross my arms, making an X. Heawon does the same and we link hands. Our heads touch and I haul her over my back. In an instant, I feel her back hit mine for a second until I feel her shoes press down on my back. She stands on my back before—

Slam!

“Heawon!” I cry over the loud music. I turn around and crouch down to her curled up body. I see her hugging her left arm, her eyes squeezed tight. I bring her onto my lap and hug her tight, rocking back and forth. “You babo. I told you not to do this.” I chant over and over. I hear her breathe heavily against my chest and feel her hand squeeze my arm repeatedly. My god, she practically landed on her arm. It must hurt so much.

We stay in that position for a while, me rocking her back and forth. But then I notice that I haven’t heard a single whimper or cry from her. I pull back and look at her face. Her face was absolutely spotless, no tears in sight. She never cried?

“Are you insane?” I accidentally blurt out. “Haven’t you shed at least a single tear?”

She closes her eyes tightly and shakes her head. She starts to pull out of my embrace. “Let’s try again.”

“What?” I exclaim loudly, almost shouting. She flinches as I hold her down on my lap. “No more stunts. Not until your arm gets better.”

“Wha—No!” She squeals. She looks at me incredulously. “Are you insane? The competition is in two weeks! I know you care about this competition as much as I do. We can’t slack off. I can’t slack off!” She says, almost sounding hysterical.

I tuck her head into my neck and rock her back and forth once more. “Shh…” I say softly. I sigh deeply. “I really care about this competition, but you’re becoming more important. You got hurt in the first place because you did dangerous stunts without any of us. Then you make it worse when you still do the stunts. Have you ever thought about your injury at all? Don’t you care that your injury could result to never dancing ever again?” I lecture. Amazing. I never knew I could lecture like my hyungs did.

She stays quiet, her even breaths hitting my neck warmly. I peek at her face and find her staring blankly back at me. Slowly, her eyes close, but she continues to fight them off. Gently, I place a soft kiss on her forehead and she finally closes her eyes with a sigh. Effortlessly, I stand up, carrying her as we head out the studio. I walk to her dorm and grab her keys from her pocket.

I place her gently on the bed. I take off her shoes and release her hair from the hair tie. I smooth her hair out and wrap the blanket around her nicely. I gaze at her silently. Then I look down at her holding onto the arm that she landed on. Slyly, a tear falls down my cheek. “Aish…” I mutter softly, quickly wiping it away. I sigh. I lightly touch her arm then her cheek. “No more getting hurt, Heawon.”

~O~O~

[Next Day]

“Maknae! It’s already two in the afternoon! Where’s Heawon?” Jiyong hyung asks me, sitting next to me on the dance studio’s floor.

“Probably still resting. I visited her this morning. I told her to rest.” I say quietly.

“Wae?” Seunghyun hyung asks.

I proceed to tell them about last night, unable to keep my voice from cracking. I can’t get the image of her curled up in a ball out of my mind. Even if she didn’t cry, I know that fall hurt her so much. She hasn’t felt an injury like that until now… I’m worried as hell, yes. I can’t help it. I hate how I couldn’t take the pain away. If I could, I would do it in a heartbeat.

“How about we go visit her?” YoungBae hyung suggests.

“Ani. Just leave her alone to rest for a while.” I shake my head, ignoring their pitiful eyes. I stand up, surprising Jiyong hyung. He grabs my hand and gives me a reassuring squeeze. I bite my lip at my eyes watering. I know she’ll get better soon.

“Come on.” Daesung hyung says. “Let’s continue practicing, so she won’t have much to focus too much when she gets back.”