Huge Blow

It Takes Two

 

[Seungri POV]

“Heawon! Come on!” I scream into her ears, but I highly doubt she can hear me. I helplessly watch as she continues to scream in pain, the sight making me kneel and tightly hold her. My eyes sting with tears. “Somebody call an ambulance!” I yell; my voice strained. “Heawon. Stay with me. Please stop crying. Stop…” My voice cracks.

She pushes my hands away, hugging her left leg closer to herself. Her sobs and screams were endless. My chest aches and I know I can’t do anything. I can’t tend her wounds, I can’t calm her down, and I certainly can’t make the pain go away… I start to cry shamelessly. Distantly, I hear sirens blare outside. Next thing I know, paramedics were pushing everybody away from Heawon, including me.

“No!” I protest, sticking by her side. “I’m staying with her.” I demand.

But the paramedics don’t hear me from Heawon’s agonizing sobs. We pile into the ambulance and it seems like they could not go any faster. I grip my fists, my knuckles turning white as I watch the two paramedics try to calm Heawon down.

“It hurts. It hurts. It hurts.” She chants, crying. My chest aches even harder. It’s as if a hole was burning through my chest. It makes me want to cover my ears and block out her constant screams. I don’t want to hear this. I don’t want her in pain… As if a century passed, we arrive at the hospital. Everything was in a blur; it seemed like chaos.

They took Heawon away, ignoring my existence. I stand there, frozen in fear. They take her away somewhere. Where? I don’t even know. I don’t care as long as they take the pain away… The pain I couldn’t take away. I feel my legs twitch, wanting to run away from here, far away. But instead, I collapse onto one of the chairs in the lobby, my tears finally showing no mercy.

I pound my head several times, trying to get the image of my Heawon crying in agony away. I clutch onto my chest. If I’m hurting this much, what could Heawon by feeling at the moment?

~O~O~

[Hours Later]

“Is anyone here a relative or friend of Kim Heawon?”

I snap my head up, feeling dizzy from my sudden movements. I stand up. “I am.” I speak, my throat sore from all the crying. The doctor starts making his way over to me. I shake hands with him. “I’m her boyfriend, Lee Seunghyun.” I introduce myself. I clear my throat a few times, trying to get a grip on myself. “Is she okay?” I ask worriedly, desperately.

“I’m Dr. Choi. And Heawon is fine. How about we talk about the details outside her room upstairs?” He asks, gesturing.

I nod, still doubting that Heawon is fine. She’s been in the hospital for hours. Can pain like that even be fixed? Dr. Choi and I go in the elevator and go up to the fourth floor. He then leads me to the room all the way at the end, the door shut. Instantly, I find myself holding the doorknob and peeking through the window, trying to see that beautiful face.

Dr. Choi places his strong hand on my shoulder and I flinch. “Lee Seunghyun-shi, there’s some things I want to discuss with you before you may see her…” Dr. Choi says hesitantly.

I let out a deep sigh, knowing I’m going to have to put off seeing my angel a little longer. I turn around and face the doctor. “Yes?” I ask.

Dr. Choi bites his lip. “Well, how exactly did she earn this horrible injury?”

I choke up. I shake my head, clearing my mind. I tell him everything, about the practices, the competition, and our dangerous stunt. Dr. Choi nods throughout the whole story, his eyes gleaming after I told him about the stunt.

“Now it all makes sense. She almost fractured the back along the way, so it’s a little tender. But the impact on her leg was so huge, that it caused her so much pain. Usually, it just sprains an ankle which only requires a cast, but for her…”

My eyes widen as a thought hits me. I cover my mouth with my hand and I hold back a gasp.

~O~O~

[Heawon POV]

Knock! Knock! Knock!

“Come in.” I respond, moving my sore eyes away from the cast on my left leg. Dr. Choi enters with Seungri trailing behind him. “Seungri!” I squeal, extending my arms out towards him like a child. He instantly runs over to my side and embraces me with his comfortable warmth. I wonder if he was with me throughout the whole thing. I barely remembering anything except the pain spreading throughout my whole body…

“Heawon.” Seungri whispers, planting a soft kiss on my forehead. I close my eyes, feeling my once erratic heartbeat slow down from his mere touch. I take a look on his face. He looks horrible. His eyes were swollen and his cheeks were hollow. It looks like he cried—

I gasp and cup his face. “You cried, didn’t you? Omo! Did you finish the competition?”

He stares at me in disbelief. “How in the world could I focus on the competition when you hurt yourself?”

“But—“ I bite my lip, not knowing what else to say. “Maybe,” I speak slowly, hoping he won’t get angry at this insane idea. “Maybe they’ll let us perform again. You know, like a second chance… I only sprained my ankle, right? It’ll heal and I’ll be right back up before you know it!” I give a small, sheepish smile. He inhales a sharp breath and his eyes turn hard. I close my eyes, waiting for his outburst.

“Actually,” Dr. Choi thankfully intercepts. Seungri slips away from my arms and sits on the bed next to my legs, placing a gentle hand on my cast; his eyes sad now. “I don’t know how to tell you this, Heawon.” Dr. Choi hesitantly says, his kind voice sad as well.

“What is it?” I ask, feeling panic rise within me once more.

“Heawon… I don’t think you’ll be able to perform.”

I look at him, giving him a weird look. “Of course I’ll be able to perform. Sprained ankles heal within weeks. I’ve had them before.” I reply, my voice getting higher in hysteria.

“Heawon, you don’t understand.” Dr. Choi mumbles. He steadily meets my watering eyes. “This injury is permanent. I advise you to stay in a wheelchair and stop your dancing activities.”