Love Beat

Breath of Life

After Yixing got his schedule, we walked out of class and down the empty hallway.

I turn and give him a welcoming smile “Yixing, right?”

He replies politely “You can call me Lay”

“Lay?”

He nods and when he smiles I notice a dimple appearing on his right cheek.

I nod in return “Okay” I keep my smile “Welcome to Daewon Elite Prep.”

“Thank you”

“What school did you transfer from?”

“Yali High, it’s in Changsha, Hunan”

“So there isn’t anything different transferring from a private school to another, right.”

“Wearing uniforms, Yali is a public school”

That’s strange? Daewon doesn’t allow any scholar students?

“Oh, what brings you here then?”

“My dad” He pauses “He got offered to be managing partner at Kim and Chang Law Firm.”

 “If your dad is a lawyer why—”

He smiles “why did I go to a public school?”

Suddenly I felt a little rude for questioning him when I just meet him.

“I’m sorry” I quickly add, hoping I didn’t offend him or make him think like I was judging him.

“It’s okay”

We make eye contact causing me to look away and feel embarrassed for my question.

“I never liked the whole uniform thing and Yali is actually considered a really good school.”

“How upset were you when you found out you had to move?”

“It .” He pauses “But, I have to get used to it and sometimes a fresh start isn’t always a bad thing. Up until now…I’m starting to like it.”

I nod “Even the uniform?”

He kindly scoffs “It’s going to take me a while to get used to that”

I lightly laughed and started the short tour. I got to show him what shortcuts to take and what hallway lead to what class. He didn’t seem to have any questions and he seemed to remember what turns to take and which set of stairs led him to the right direction. I doubled checked with him and he had it down, so we decided to head back to class.

 

 

Lunch was different since me and Sehun stopped talking. The guys stopped sitting with us and went back to their original table but they came around a few times because Tao and Kyungri were still dating. Today however, was different. Sehun and Kris went off campus to eat so that gave the boys a chance to sit with us.

Chanyeol was trying to aim his food into Kai’s mouth, there were times he missed and other times he would make it. As I was being entertained by them it made me miss how everything used to be. I wanted it back and no matter how many times I told myself that the relationship I shared with that idiot was done, in my heart I knew it wasn’t true and it wasn’t what I wanted. What I desired the most was him and nothing else.

“Who’s that?” Saerin asks cutting my thoughts.

Everyone follows her gaze and I see Lay standing in place with his tray, trying to find a place to sit. There was something tender about his expression that just made me want to help him.

“Transfer student” I reply

He stood in place but hesitating his steps. I decide to stand up from the table to approach him and as I walked towards his way he smiled at the sight of me.

“Hey” I smile “Do you want to sit with us?”

“Can I?” He smiles and I nod. I gesture him to follow me and when we reach the table I immediately see Kai sit up straight while Chanyeol’s big eyes stared at him from bottom to top.

“Guys, this is Yixing he moved here from China”

“Or Lay” He politely corrects me

Lay pulls the chair out and takes a seat, bowing and waving at everyone. Kyungri and Tao introduced themselves, Saerin smiled barely managing to introduce herself since she distracted by checking him out. Chanyeol said hi back as well as Kai but it was obvious that they had a guard up, especially Kai.

“Lay?” Kai asks

He nods “My friends back home gave me that nickname so it stuck”

“Is it because girls would lay with you” Chanyeol teases and it was only caught on by Kai which they share a small chuckle out of their joke.

Lay looked confused but it made him look so innocent at the same time. Chanyeol’s smile starts to fade as he realized that Lay didn’t think it was as funny, and it made me laugh to myself.

Saerin changes the subject by asking questions and trying to get to know him, breaking the ice. So far, he was a well-mannered guy for going to a public school. He was very sweet and polite when he spoke to us. It took a while for him to warm up towards us but as soon as he did, he surprised us by being a bit funny. It wasn’t so much for what he said but how he said it.

Once Lay started picking out how Chanyeol jokes around, it made it easier for Lay to joke back but in his own way. It didn’t take long for the two to start getting along when Chanyeol spent most of the time doing the talking, which was a good thing because I wasn’t really sure what to ask him anyway. But for the most part things seemed like they were going good.

 

 

 

 

My feet do a double step back, both arms pushed out, my right hand rolls around my left wrist which turns into a cross and I quickly break it apart so my right hand is still upwards parallel with my left that is in a half-t popping my left hip and slightly rising my left leg and stepping to the side while my right hand swings down to the left side. Both hands are down in place holding onto each other and my mind stops.

The school’s dance studio was a little foggy today, there was no sunlight beaming in like usual mornings. It sadly matched my feelings that covered my thoughts with Sehun. It goes back to the day I found treatment for his depression and bi-polar changes. None of my questions were being answered and instead of letting it go, I wanted to keep digging. There has to be some way for me to reach out without him getting mad at me about it.

“Did you get stuck?” I turn around to find Yixing standing at the doorway “I hate when that happens” He smiles as he walked in.

I face him, confused to what he’s doing here.

“I’m sorry” He adds “I didn’t mean to watch, it’s just I was coming in here thinking there wouldn’t be anyone. They told me it would be the best time to use it.”

I smile “Yeah, there are never dance classes in the morning.” I pause “You dance?”

He nods “Since I was a little kid” He smirks “My dad wasn’t too happy about it but he came around. He’s more understanding with what I want to do.”

“Which would be?”

“Professional choreographer and produce music.”

“So you write songs too?”

“Trying” He smiles a little embarrassed “I want to really skill in that and once I go to K-Arts there could be a good chance of improvement”

“You’re going to K-Arts?”

“I’m not sure? I auditioned for both music and dance department. Now, I have to wait.”

“My audition isn’t until next week”

He nods “I remember I had to fly to Seoul to have my audition. It’s crazy how life works. I was worried if I got accepted about leaving home, family, friends, and now I’m living here with my family. I think its life’s way of preparing me.”

I smile “You think that’s it? Not just by coincidence?”

“Maybe” He smirks “But, what about you? I bet you’re nervous”

I release air that I inhaled and replied. “Very”

“Mind if I see it?” He rubs his neck

I was surprised to get asked but as I thought it through maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea. No one has seen me dance and I could really use the feedback. However, I got a little shy so I didn’t feel like going first.

“Is it okay if you can go first?” I smile shyly

He chuckles “I can do that.” He takes out his phone “Do you mind if I play a song on here?”

“No, go for it” I take mine off so he can hook his onto my speaker. He places his black cap on and removes his jacket so his sleeveless arms were exposed. I couldn’t help but to stare at how toned they were. I caught myself staring too long and looked away before he noticed.

“Can I press play now?” I ask

He nods and the beat starts with a low riff of a woman’s voice. Once the lyrics began I immediately recognized the song, it was Lenoa Lewis-I’m you.

He started off powerful but at the same time gentle. He looked cool but passionate. Every step he took caught my attention. He was really good, better than I expected.

When he was done he was lightly out of breath and I clapped but he dragged me to the center and walked away.

“Continue” He stands near the speaker while I’m on the spot. It wasn’t the music I’ve been practicing with but I still did the dance moves Sehun taught me.

My mind was thinking of him as I hit each step. Then I started to wonder if we’ll ever talk or share this again? I heard the song come to an end so I started to slow down my counts since the choreography was longer.

“Wow” He claps “That was really good”

I was shocked. I was expecting him to tell me I was overthinking it “Really?”

“I’ve seen many girls dance but none to give me chills, in a good way.” He pauses “Your performance was really strong. Whatever was going on through your mind, keep it.” He smiles 


 

 

→ Sorry guys, I got really busy during the week and I didn’t have time to double update like I normally do. But I should be able to do that this week :)

Also I want to let you all know I do read your comments and they are very much appreciated! If I don’t reply back please don’t be offended, they all make me smile. Laaahhh you guys, Much Love xoxo