Candles

Breath of Life

The boys were pre-gaming as usual, Kai decided to throw the party at his mansion but Chanyeol was still in charge of everything. The theme was really fun, he called it 'Color Party'. Everyone had to wear white while everything else around the house was filled with color. Backlights were set around the house so the color stood out better.

The DJ was already setting a beat as a few people started to come inside. One rule of theirs was whenever people stepped in they had to take three shots each, per person.

I sat with my girls talking when I spotted Haeryung with Ryu and I call them over. Ryu said hi to us but when Tao approached him they didn’t waste any time meeting with the other guys to start playing beer pong. She hugs me and I return the same gesture. I noticed that Saerin and Kyungri never officially met her.

“Guys, this is Haeryung”

She smiles waving at them and both of my girls were sweet and welcoming, like always.

“You’re Ryu’s girlfriend right?” Kyungri smiles “I was shocked. In a good way, he never had time for his girlfriends and they’d dump him in a week for it.”

Saerin smiles “How long have you two been dating?”

“A week” Haeryung nods and we all laugh

“Well, cheers for managing a week”

We all raise our cups and then we all realized she didn’t have one. We had a rule of our own every time we partied with someone, if they didn’t have a cup when we did cheers they had to chug down each of our drinks. Haeryung wasn’t an exception, no one was. It took a while to convince her and she ended up going for it. She drank my Stoli Blueberry vodka with sprite, Kyungri’s Ciroc vodka with lemonade, and Saerin’s Malibu coconut rum with coke.

“I’m going to get so ed up” Haeryung covers as she squeezes her eyes from the strong after taste. I knew Saerin’s was the worst. She always put more alcohol than soda.

“We’ll take good care of you” Kyungri smiles

Saerin wraps her arm around Haeryung’s shoulder “Now let’s get you a drink”

They both walk off and after a while we hear another set of female voices approach us from behind. When I turned over it was Yura with her friends. She smiles kindly at us and even throws in a hug. She introduces her friends and we start a conversation with all of them.

“Let’s go take shots” Yura smiles and takes my hand. She tries looking for Chanyeol and when she spots her tall young brother she pinches his cheek.

He playfully brushes her hand away “I’m on a good one” He starts preparing for his shot

“No, give your sister a hug first”

“Hold on”

“Now” She teases. He groans but listens to her. He quickly focuses back on his game and makes it in the cup. He gets excited and high fives with Ryu.

“Get a celeb so we can take a shot” She tugs on his sleeve

His big eyes look at her, ready to tell her no but in the end he smiles and nods. He gets Kai to substitute the game for him and we walked towards the bar to get the deed done.

 

 

 

I shake my head and save my taste buds with my chaser. I checked the time and noticed it was already 10:03 pm and Sehun still wasn’t here. His party started at 8:00 and the last text he sent was to Chanyeol, saying he was running late. I had a feeling he was lying.

“Try calling him” Yura suggests “He needs to be here”

“I tried but that keeps sending me straight to voicemail.”

“Why don’t you try Hayoung?” Haeryung asked softly

I was caught off guard “I don’t think I would be any different”

“You’re his girl, he can’t ignore you” Chanyeol smiles

Yura puts her attention on me “You’re dating my little brother?”

I nod “We’re talking”

She smiles and it was cute how it looked similar to her Chanyeol's. It was contagious and as much as I wanted to hide it, I couldn’t.

“Call him” She nudges me lightly “What’s a party without the birthday boy”

“I’ll try” I smile and take out my phone. I start walking but there was just too many people surrounding every inch of the house. When I finally reached out in the backyard it wasn’t any different. The music reached all the way to the back but I was still able to hear the phone ring at the other end clearly.

To my surprise he answers “Yeah?”

My heart begins to flutter at the sound of his voice “Where are you?”

He takes a long pause and sighs “Outside”

“You are?” I turn back around “Out front?”

“Yeah” He keeps it short

There was something about his voice that seemed off than most days, like he needed someone.

“Do you want me to meet you?”

“If you want”

I looked around and noticed everyone having a good time and it’s his birthday, he should be here. So I told him I’ll be there in a minute and hung up.

 

 

I close the doors to the front of Kai’s mansion behind me. I walk down the small set of stairs and start skimming the sides as I tried to find Sehun. My high top white chucks were the only thing that was covering the silence. I crossed my arms as I continued to walk down the driveway, passing all the parked cars. Then my eyes squint to the sight of a car’s headlights that turn on out of nowhere. As I got closer I noticed it was Sehun’s car.

I open the door and get in. I stare at him and he wasn’t wearing white, he was just wearing his casual street wear, nothing special to stand out at his own party. As we sat there I kept my vision on him who was sitting straight, staring out front with his knuckle his lips.

“Are you going to come in?” I break the silence

“I don’t think so”

I nod “If you weren’t then why are you here?” I lightly tease

“I don’t know.”

We sat in silence but he glanced at me once

I smirk “Did you drink already?”

“A little”

I shake my head and notice his eyes were tense and he had this look like a lot was going on through that messed up brain of his. Whatever it was that is bothering him I decided not to ask, why dwell on it on a day that he should be celebrating. I took this as my duty to light up his mood. I needed to at least try but the pressure was definitely on.

“Just come in for a while. Take a few shots and make fun of me for not wanting to go crazy like the rest of our friends.”

My eyes were filled with hope and as he stared into them, I got a small chuckle out of him. I tuck my lips as I smiled, proud at my success for getting him to ease up and lighten his mood up.

“Sound good?” I ask and without thinking twice, I place my hand behind his neck and the back of his bottom hair, to my surprise it was soft. He takes a deep breath and agrees as he exhaled his breath out.

 

 

 

My eyes paid attention to Sehun as he looked like he was actually enjoying his conversation with all his friends. When he notices me staring I look away, embarrassed that I’ve been caught.

“When are we bringing it out?” Kyungri asks Tao

My eyes drift back to Sehun and I blush when his eyes meet mine again. He gives me the tiniest hint of a smile and I can’t help but to smile back. My mind still couldn't grasp the affect he has on me, it's ridiculous.

“Before midnight” Tao replies

“Then we should get it ready now” Kyungri smiles and both walk away together.

“You’re not going to get jealous are you?” Saerin teases

I roll my eyes “No” I chuckle “I think it will make him feel better”

“If you say so” She chimes

 

 

The DJ stopped the music and made an announcement and it didn’t take long for everyone to start singing ‘Happy Birthday’ as Tao and Kyungri rolled a big cake out. I bite my lip excited to see Sehun’s reaction as I stood next to him and when I look over he had a hard emotionless face. My smile started to fade not liking the reaction he was giving.

When the cake finally made its way up to him the song was about to come to an end. Cheers, whistles, and claps were roaring the whole house, especially when two girls jumped out of the cake in their bathing suits. All the guys were going nuts over them and even I was excited, Sehun eventually smiled but it didn’t reach his eyes. The girls kissed his cheeks and not even that made him excited.

I ignore it as soon as they bring candles and place it in front of him. He looked really uncomfortable but no one seemed to notice like I did. He quickly blew them out and once again everyone clapped. He nodded once and clapped but his face was still careless. What is wrong Sehun? Why does it look like you’re hurting?