Unusual Bad Boy

Breath of Life

My mom’s studio was empty like it always was Saturday mornings. Sweat was lightly popping from my forehead. I kept hitting the right choreography I came up with myself and each step I made it sharp.

My right foot moved behind my left leg while my right arm swung across to my left side and I quickly double step putting my right foot back in the front separating them apart. My left foot crosses over my right and I do a full turn while my left hand holds onto my right wrist slightly lifting my arms above my head. Both arms came down and placed them in front swinging them around and turn my body to the left, bringing my arms up to my chest, fist to fist leaving a good space between them.

I ball changed to the right with my right elbow moving up while my left elbow moved the opposite direction and I quickly switched to the left doing another ball change this time my left elbow went up and my right elbow came down while my right foot crosses over and I separate my feet apart.

My elbows come down but my left hand swings to the right side. I put my hands together and roll them towards me, up to my chest and stretch them out while I push myself back. I leave my hands together and bring them around moving my body with the same motion as my hands.

I get an instant flashback to the time when I was performing four years ago, auditioning to get an early scholarship to K-Arts.

My mind gets distracted to the old routine with the current one. I stop my steps thinking while I was at my audition that somewhere my mom was rushing to see me. I can imagine her car accident. I’m out of breath and stop the music to keep the images out from my head.

I stare at my reflection in the mirror. My mind was getting the best of me. Thinking that starting to dance again was a mistake. I was really rusty.

“That was bad” Sehun startles me, I see him in the mirror and I turn over to face him “You can tell that you were focusing on the next step.”

“What are you doing here?”

He walks with his hands behind his back “Came to see what you were all about. When I read it I thought it was a joke.”

“Read it?” I asked confused “Read what?”

He pulls out my planner. My eyes pop wide open, I didn’t even know I miss placed it or even realized he took it. When and how?

I walk up to him to take it away but before I can he puts it behind his back again

“This is some psychotic ” He laughs “I’m surprised you don’t have a time to use the bathroom, .”

”Give it back”

“I came up with something”

He smirks and it was the first time I see this side of him but I was too busy trying to get my planner back to focus on his dumb smile.

“I was thinking the only way you can get this back is if you go out with me, it wouldn’t be a date though.”

I pull my eyebrows together, ignoring his words. “Come on, it’s not funny. Give it back”

I try reaching for it again but he steps back

“I already told you what you need to do”

I slightly tilt my head to the side and sigh in frustration “I’m too busy.”

“You can make time for it. Obviously you can manage to do 10 different things in one day.”

I scratch the bridge of my nose “Can I please have my planner back?”

“You’re going to have to come with me if you want to see this ever again”

“Sehun”

He ignores me and opens it. He begins to read out loud my schedule as he walked away. He glances over at me and puts his eyes back to my planner. He’s closer to the door and I sigh in frustration.

I quickly grab my things and follow him out. He’s still reading everything out loud with a smile on his face.

“Are you even fluent with all these languages?”

“Are you always this displeasing?”

He doesn’t reply back instead he gets in his car. Unbelievable, here I was thinking I would have an easy relaxed weekend but no, Oh Sehun just had to ruin it.

He pulls his window down and sticks my planner out. I walk up towards his car but he begins to slowly drive down the parking lot.

“If you get in, I’ll give it back.” He pauses “I’ll also give you my lab report”

“We can do that Monday”

“If you heat tin metal”

He starts giving me answers that we need and I was surprised that he was actually paying attention the last two days in science class. As he keeps talking the further his car gets. I roll my eyes and decide to take advantage of this. Who knows when he’ll be like this again.

“Wait!” I run to his car

 

 

 

“So the mole ratio is?” He asks

I stop writing and look over at him “Which is?”

He smiles “Something you need to figure out”

“But you already know the answer?”

He doesn’t say anything

“Come on you’re being a jerk, I have a lot to get done”

“What’s the rush? We have nothing but a big road ahead of us with nothing but opportunities”

I shake my head and let out a small smirk “What are you talking about?”

“Pick a place, anywhere”

“Okay” I pause “I pick to finish the lab report”

“I can’t concentrate like this” He makes a sharp turn entering a parking lot. I wasn’t expecting it so I lose my posture.

“Very funny” I say sarcastically.

He parks his car and without saying anything he walks out with a brown bag and I follow right behind.

“So” He starts speaking again “What you need to do is find the conjecture number between tin and oxygen”

I tried writing his words down for the essay part of the lab

“Which would be?”

When I look up I get startled to find him close to my face “Time for an early picnic”

I finally take a look and notice my surroundings. He was entering a business building.

“Sehun” I call after him but he ignores me walking in. Like an idiot I follow his steps.

Sehun points at the front lady at the desk “Hey, there she is.” He teases and shouts over at me “Come on, keep up baby.”

I look away from the secretary who stares at us confused. Sehun reaches an elevator and smiles at me. I shake my head unsure of his intentions.

“Picnics consist on being outside.”

“Okay, picnic police. How did I miss that on the picnic rule book?”

The elevator doors open and he walks inside, I look back hoping we don’t get kicked out.

I stand next to him while he looks confident. Two business men join us and stare at us in confusion but they ignore us. Once the doors shut and we begin to move Sehun takes a deep breath.

“Do you think we’ll get our pay check this week?” He says out loud, I stare at him, wanting him to shut up. “I know. I’m just as pissed. Can you believe that ? It’s been five months since that accident.”

My eyes pop wide open. What on earth was he doing? The two men standing in front of us try to secretly look behind.

Sehun acts disappointed “The ing nerve.”

I feel so embarrassed. I place my hand on my forehead to hide my face.

When the doors open Sehun walks out like he knew where he was going. He opens the doors to a meeting room. Luckily it was empty and he leaves the doors wide open. I quickly close them behind me. He takes a seat and gets comfortable fast.

“Sehun this isn’t funny, we’re going to get caught. Take me back now”

“Yeah, let’s finish our lab report at the school library like everyone else.”

 

 

 

He offers me a piece of his rice cake on a stick placing it near my face.

“No thanks” I sigh “So 2:1 right, for the mole ratio?”

“College, do you think it will get you a job like this one day?”

I let a small scoff out “God no. I mean my dad works in a place like this.”

“Right, daddy Cheon” He pauses “An accountant, a district manager, an attorney…”

“CEO of POSCO” I smile “You’re not very good at guessing”

He stares at me “That’s because I wasn’t really trying.”

I ignore him and focus my attention back to the paper. I hear him scoot his chair closer to me and he places his hand on my head. I pull my eyebrows together moving my eyes to the corner.

“Stacks of paper, every day he takes his private jet what would normally take a six hour drive. He hates his job. When he was your age he dreamed of going to K-Arts. His father refused. He met your mom and she was a student there. When you were born he didn’t want to raise you the way his father did so he dedicated pouring every detail into your application. Cheon Hayoung, the star of the household, every girl wanting to be like her, every guy wanting to date her, she just doesn’t admit her high position in school, and wasting her life away focusing on being perfect.” He pause “How am I doing?”

My voice is low “Okay.” It was hurtful the way he said it, it’s like he was describing me the way everyone else saw me. I take a deep breath and decide to just take the rice cake on a stick and take a bite. Thinking how I don’t know how to stop or control myself with wanting to get everything right.

I look over at him and before I can say anything, the doors open and an old woman stares us down with a confused expression on her face.

“Can I help you two?”

Sehun smirks at me and I look back, for some reason I was feeling mischievous.

I rub my neck “Oh, we’re just waiting on Mr. Cheol. He said he had to finish a phone call.”

The lady looked confused, switching her eyes back and forth between me and Sehun. “Okay?”

She shuts the door, I’m not sure if she bought it but I was surprised it even worked. Sehun makes me jump when he slaps the table.

He stands up “God dammit that Mr. Cheol!”

I can’t help but to let out a small laugh “Right, who does he think he is!”

Sehun begins to shout “This is bull! I’m going to make sure his gets fired!”

I look up at him not being able to hide my laugh any longer.

 

 

The security escorts us out “I’ll be sure your father doesn’t hear about this Mr. Sehun”

I couldn’t believe that the building we were in was the headquarters of Samsung Electronics and that his father was the CEO, looks like he had a plan all along.

When we get in the car I tried to attempt guessing his background. I had my hand over his head.

“Okay, so your mom is a Chief financial officer, you have an older brother and little sister, and live in the most beautiful mansion in Seoul.” I pull my hand away and smile “How am I doing?”

He smirks “Actually, my mom is the fashion director for Marie Claire magazine. I have one little brother, and I do live in the biggest mansion in South Korea.”

For the first time I wasn’t pissed or annoyed, just hoping he stays this way.

“How did you even know where my mom’s studio was?” I ask

“I went over to your house to drop it off and they told me where you would be.”

I shake my head and remembering about my planner.

“So, I already hung out with you and got in your car. Does that mean I get my planner back?”

He pulls into the parking lot outside my mom’s studio and parks next to my car. He reaches over to the back seat and hands me my planner as promised.

I smile “Thank you”

I was glad he wasn’t immature about it and didn't keep it away from me. He doesn’t reply, instead he gave me a strange look, like he was thinking about something. I just wasn’t sure about what.

“So, work on the assignments over the weekend okay?” I open the door and when I shut his door he drives off, without saying anything. I check the time and notice I’m late for my private piano lesson.

 

 

When I get home, I rush into my room getting my music sheets. I open my planner.

 

Saturday 16

Hang out with Sehun: Not a date

 

Mom’s Dance Studio: 9-11 am

Piano Lesson 1-2:30 pm

French Teacher 3:30-5 pm

Volunteer at the Boy & Girls’ club 6-8 pm

Homework/Study 9-11:30 pm

 

He crossed off all my times on each page and he wrote over the same thing, ‘it’s not a date’. I keep turning the pages and even on the blank ones it has the same note. I rub my forehead and think to myself that I’m going to need a new planner.