Watching Steps

Breath of Life

As Sehun was driving me back home I couldn’t help but to wonder one thing.

“Are your parents always out?”

He shakes his head “They make it to dinner for the most part. There are some nights that they get busy so it’s just me and Daehun.”

I look at him observing his expression. I knew he was thinking of something, it was written all over his poker face. At least that’s what it seemed like to me. I glance at my watch to check the time 9:15. It was crazy how time flew by, especially when I wasn’t constantly checking it like I normally do.

I hear him chuckle when I look over he had his index finger rubbing over his upper lip

“What?” I ask

He shakes his head and doesn’t move his finger. As usual he didn’t respond back and at this point I think I’ve learned to get used to it.

 

 

I grabbed all my belongings and said goodbye to him and thanked him for the ride.

“I’ll see you tomorrow”

I nod “Goodnight”

I shut the door and walk up towards my mansion. Once I get inside I begin to make my way towards the stairs.

“Hey” Euaerin’s voice stops my steps “Where have you been all day?” She smiles

“Helping my lab partner with some homework”

She nods “Are you hungry?”

“No, I had dinner already”

“Well, after you settle in your room head over to the study. Your father wants to talk to you”

“Okay” I say no more and rush upstairs.

 

 

I walked into his study smiling at him while he sat down behind his desk. When I got close I placed a kiss on his cheek.

“How are you?” I smile at him

“Busy” He lightly chuckles “But, I made time to turn your application in for K-Arts last month. They loved it and they’re ready for your audition on the 23rd of May”

My heart felt like it dropped. My dad seemed ecstatic and he handed me a piece of paper. It was a printed email from the Dance Department.

“Aren’t you excited?” He smiles

I lie and fake a smile “Yeah, completely.”

“Your mother would have been very proud.”

I could only imagine. If she was still here with us, I would have felt the bit excited but that wasn’t the case. I was scared less.

“Hayoung” I look down at him “Don’t hold back. When you dance, you have the same passion in your eyes as your mother did. You’re a rare diamond.”

I playfully roll my eyes at him and I can’t help but to laugh “You don’t have to do that dad”

“It’s true” He smiles “It’s a gift your mother passed on to you. Not many people have that aura when they dance but you do”

“You’re obligated to say nice things” I giggle “You’re biologically programmed to be kind to the things I do even if I’m not good at them”

“If I was being kind, than why is K-Arts is giving you another opportunity? They remembered you and they were thrilled to see that you’re a senior now.”

I remembered doing an early open audition for their school. They had a program for 12-15 who wanted to attend but the percentage of picking a young scholarship student was like a 10% chance. However, with the good recommendations I received from my entire faculty, the Dance Department scouts at K-Arts were having high expectations for me.

I felt like I was doing great but with the pressure at 14 my audition wasn’t great, I couldn’t do it without my mom not being present.

“You’ll do great” He rubs my back

I suddenly get a though “Did you ever apply for K-Arts?”

He smiles “In fact I did. Except your grandfather caught my application in my room and ripped it apart and forced me to go to the university he wanted so I can take over the family business.”

I chuckle. So Sehun was right? How did he even know and now that I think about it how did he even know about my mom?

 

 

 

I turned the music on as I stretched my neck at the school’s dance studio. I gazed my face in the mirrors. I take a deep breath.

“No mistakes today Cheon” Sehun appeared and walked towards me. I turn away from the mirrors to stare at him.

He had a black beanie on this time in his regular clothes. He stopped in front of the mirrors and took a seat

“What are you doing?”

He leans against the wall next to my wireless speaker that my iPhone was hooked on. He changes the song.

“Can you dance to any song?” He stopped it at an upbeat tempo and his eyes locked with mine

“I can” I put my hands on my hips “But you’re not going to watch.”

He looks up and down at me with the tiniest smirk creeping in the corner of his mouth.

“You’re going to have to dance in front of people anyway so this will be good practice.”

He puts his knees up resting his arms over them with his hands dangling over. I stare him down and sigh looking away annoyed. He had a point. I might as well.

I hear the music and I know the bridge is coming soon. I my lips and start counting. Once I hear it I start. I did the same steps I’ve been working on and when I placed my right foot over my left, I stopped myself. I was supposed to do it the other way around. I wait for the right count and attempt to do the step I messed up on again. When that step comes around I mess on the foot placement again. I stop and try doing it again. The third time wasn’t any different.

I sigh in frustration. “Turn the music off.”

“Don’t stop. Even if you mess up keep going.”

“Turn the music off Sehun.”

He listens to me and the room turns quiet. He stands up and walks up to me.

“Stop thinking what step comes next, just pay attention to the one you’re doing, that’s why you get flustered.”

He looks at himself in the mirror

“Look” He copies my dance step, he moves his right foot back doing a quick ball change separating the feet apart and then his right foot crosses over.

“See that, if you start with your right foot you’re going to want to automatically cross it over the left leg. So instead do the ball change with your left foot first.”

He does the step again but this time the way he explained it. When he was done it worked. That was my goal, to get my left foot to cross over my right, not the other way around. I gave it a try and it was way easier that way.

He tucks his lips in and them afterwards. “Also, instead of just swinging your arm to the side, try swinging it back when you move the left foot back and when you bring the left foot apart that’s when you should quickly bring your arm in the front and hit it.”

He demonstrates it to me and it looked better. Why was he so good?

“Cool?” He confirms with me and I nod. He walks back towards the wireless speaker and puts the music back on for me.

I wait for the count and I took his advice. On the bridge I did the move I was struggling on and did it the way he suggested. It worked and I was able to continue with the rest of my routine.

 

 

When I was done he claps. I walk up to him and he hands me my water bottle.

“Not bad” He nods “Even though you want it to be just as perfect like everything else you do.”

I take a sip and when I’m rehydrated I stare at him wondering where all that came from.

“Do you dance?” I ask

He stays quiet for a second “Not anymore.”

“Why?”

He stands up and doesn’t say anything else and just like that the nice Sehun instantly turned cold. Like if what I asked pissed him off.

“Just keep wasting your life being perfect Hayoung.”

So I was back to my first name? I caught onto his way of knowing when he’s mad at me, he uses my name. The thing is though I wasn’t sure why he suddenly got upset, I just asked a simple question.

What if his dad doesn’t want him to dance? Is that the reason why he has this new attitude? Now that I think about it, when he was helping me, I hinted something. He looked like he was enjoying it even though it was something short and simple. I quickly grab my things to try and catch up with him.

I spot him still walking down the hallway and I call out his name. He actually stops to turn around and waits for me.

“Is that it?” I decide to ask “The reason you don’t care about school anymore because your dad doesn’t want you to do something you love?”

He scoffs “It has nothing to do with that” He pauses “My dad actually encourages me to but I just don’t care for it anymore.”

This wasn’t making any sense.

“Are you lying?”

“I haven’t lied to you this far, I’m not going to start now.”

He turns around and leaves me standing there clueless, not being able to tell what secret he was hiding and keeping away.