Changes

Breath of Life

“Just tell me what’s wrong?” I followed Sehun down the hallway but he ignored me. “I just want to help. You don’t need to keep whatever is wrong with you a secret”

He turns around “Just leave me the alone Hayoung.”

“Stop pushing me away” I snap “I want to be there for you”

“Well don’t” He raises his voice “If I wanted you to know I would have said something.” He pauses “—and from what I heard, this ‘thing’ between us is over. So stop following me.”

His eyes were cold and his gaze was sharp, it made me mute. I wanted to defend myself but nothing was able to come out. He walks away, I let him walk away. My heart was slowly breaking at his words, the words that I used the day I was livid. So, everything was over and I didn’t do anything about it. My chest began to hurt as I fought the tears that were ready to escape my eyes. I close my eyes to prevent my vision to get blurred out and when I take a few minutes, I open them again and try to set my mind to continue the rest of the day.

 

 

 

 

I was out of breath when the music came to a stop in the studio. It’s been another long week since I’ve talked to Sehun and since then I went back to all my regular routines before I started getting close to him. It felt strange trying to follow it again but it was the only way to distract me from being tempted to fix things with Sehun. I had no idea what was wrong with me, all I thought about was Sehun and I was being annoyingly vulnerable.

I sigh and start the music again. I had plenty of time before class started and my audition was two weeks away so I had to really push myself even if Sehun wasn’t around to tell me what to fix or tell me what I’m doing right. I shake my head. I don’t want to think about him anymore, he’s clearly not concerned about me so I need to stop. My feelings need to stop, I can no longer love him and whatever it was going to take to cut this feeling out, I will do it.

 

 

 

It felt absolutely uncomfortable and awkward sitting next to him during our lab. He didn’t say one word to me or stare at me once. I tried doing the same but it was difficult when I needed his answers to match mine or when I needed to communicate with him to prevent doing things wrong. Instead of replying to me he would just slide his worksheet over to me, it actually surprised me that regardless of what happened he was here, doing his work.

 

 

“So, are you guys mad at each other? Are you guys taking a break?” Saerin pauses “What’s going on?” She stood with Kyungri next to my locker, waiting for answers.

“I don’t want to talk about it”

She sighs “You said that last week”

I widen my eyes giving her a hint that I didn’t care what I said “—and I’m saying it again.”

Kyungri joins in “Well, we just want to make sure you’re okay”

“I’m fine.” I tried to make it sound convincing as possible but it was all a lie, of course I wasn’t fine. I just wish there was a way these feelings could go away forever.

“Are you going to be fine when we’re all hanging out and he’s there?” Kyungri asks softly

“You guys don’t have to worry about me. Don’t stop hanging out with your boyfriend over this” I smile at her “You know I always have other things I prefer to do anyway”

Saerin’s voice went from demanding to a more concerned tone “But, what happened? I thought you guys were good?”

I thought so too but then again I never knew with Sehun.

I shrug my shoulders “It is what it is. I’m not worried about it and neither should you guys”

I fake a smile and not only try to convince my two best friends but I was trying to convince myself of my own words.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow” I walk off without waiting for them to say anything else. I checked the time and headed to yearbook.

When I was walking down the hallway my nerves were attacking every inch of my body as I saw Sehun walking down my direction. His eyes saw me for a quick second and immediately acted as if he didn’t see me. I kept walking and when we finally reached it was like how I predicted it would happen. He walked past me, completely ignoring my presence. I fought the urge from looking back. I wanted to but what would be the point, it wouldn’t help my situation. My feet start to move again and like many other days, I kept going on about my business.

 

 

 

 

Everyone in class was beginning to scatter and make it to their desk before the final bell rang. I was placing my notebook and supplies out.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Haeryung makes me look in her direction

I stare at her blankly “Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”

She tucks her lips in and quietly pulls them apart “Everyone is talking about how you and Sehun broke up already.”

I scoff, of course, the gossip never failed at this school. “We were never really together.”

“A lot of people considered you guys holding hands being a couple.” She pauses

“Can you guys care about anything else other than my personal life?” I snap at her and when I saw her stunned face I instantly felt horrible for speaking to her in that way.

She nods “You’re right. I’m sorry”

I sigh “No, I’m sorry. You’re just trying to be a friend.” I my lips and before I could say anything else the final bell rang. “I’m sorry” I say again not feeling justified.

Mr. Hwang walked in greeting the class but today it was different, he walked in with a student right behind him. The boy had a worried look on his face as he had many eyes staring at him.

“Before we get started, we have a new student transferring from China.” He pauses and look at the boy standing next to him “Please, introduce yourself to the class”

He bows “Hello, I’m Zhang Yixing. I hope you can all treat me well” He bows again

“Please, take a seat in that open desk next to Mr. Oh Sehun right over there”

Mr. Hwang politely points the direction the new student needs to go to and he does. After he settles himself, Mr. Hwang starts with the lesson.

 

 

 

When Mr. Hwang was done explaining the lesson he made us start working.

“Miss Hayoung” His voice makes me look up at me “I need to speak to you”

I get up from my seat and walk up to his desk “Yes Mr. Hwang?”

“First of, you’re falling a little behind on your own academics.”

“I understand”

“Secondly, Mr. Oh Sehun still needs to turn in those three essays from the past weeks he’s missed. He’s doing a little better but still has a lot to catch up in my class.”

I nod “I understand and I will continue trying my best to get him caught up”

He nods “Lastly, as class president I’m going to allow you to give Mr. Yixing a brief tour of the campus. So I’m going to write you two a pass.”

I nod

“Mr. Zhang Yixing, may you please come up here”

He gestures him to walk over and when I turn around, I smile at him. Warning him that he isn’t in trouble because his face looked he was worried that he did something wrong. When he stands next to me Mr. Hwang continues.

“This is your class president Miss Cheon Hayoung.” He bows at me while Mr. Hwang continued to explain to him “She will be showing you around and getting you situated here at Daewon” He lightly smiles at both of us “please show her your schedule and don’t hesitate to ask her any questions if you have any.”

The new student bows again and Mr. Hwang hands me the pass.

“May I go to my desk to get my schedule?” He politely asks

Mr. Hwang has an amused look on his face, something I wasn’t familiar with the past two years I’ve had him as a teacher.

“Yes Mr. Yixing, that’s what I just said”

He bows at Mr. Hwang once more and walks off. Even I couldn’t help but to let a soft chuckle escape, thinking that it was somewhat funny.