No Show

Breath of Life

This morning I didn’t bother to get up. I stayed lying on my bed staring at the bracelet I got him for his birthday. My fingers kept playing with the charm that was entwined with the black bracelet and getting lost as I held it up, not being able to stop thinking about last night.

A knock on my door makes me look in the direction Sumi was coming from. She smiles at me as she reaches the end of my bed.

“Breakfast is ready”

“I’m not hungry. I’m just going to have a breakfast bar or something.”

“Hayoung” She says in a stern voice and when she stands at the side of my bed she stops herself “He didn’t like it?” Her voice went soft.

I sigh “I didn’t give it to him”

“Why didn’t you?”

It didn’t cross my mind when he decided to play a sick little joke.

“I didn’t have time” I lied even though it was half true.

She politely chuckles “You. Didn’t have time?”

I stay quiet and I think she can sense that I wasn’t in a good mood.

“Well, a nice breakfast will make you feel better”

“I don’t want to eat” I put the bracelet down on the night stand and stay covered in my sheets

“I’m not asking” She pats me “I’m telling you. Come on, up, up”

She uncovers me and takes my arms, making me get up and eventually I gave in.

 

 

 

At my mom’s studio I continued to practice but every minute I kept looking through the reflection to see if I spot Sehun walk in. I sent him a text message and he hasn’t replied. So I was hoping he’d show up unexpected like most of the time.

As hours went by nothing had changed except sweat lightly dripping on the side of my forehead. Maybe he felt bad and he doesn’t want to talk to me? I shake my head because it didn’t sound right, Sehun never had a problem hurting my feelings and apologizing right after.

I couldn’t take the silent treatment even if it hasn’t been a full day. It just felt strange not being around Sehun and I didn’t like it. I walked to my bag to take out my phone and when I pull it out, I was secretly hoping there would be a response from the idiot but there was nothing.

My heart felt disappointed but I quickly shook it off and did what I was planning to do, which was to text Kyungri. I knew she wouldn’t attack me with a million questions like Saerin normally does.

As I typed in the message box I decided it would be quicker to just call her. I patiently wait as the other end started ringing.

“Hey” She answers

“Hey, I’m sorry to ask so sudden but do you know what Tao is doing?”

“He’s still at Kai’s, hung-over.” She chuckles

I pause “You wouldn’t happen to know if Sehun went back last night?”

“I didn’t see him come back?”

“Can you ask Tao if Sehun is with him?”

“Sure, hold on” I wait and after a minute I hear her voice again “I just sent him a text. Is everything okay?” She hesitates to ask

“No” I pause “I don’t know?”

“Hold on, he just replied”

Again, I wait impatiently

“He said he isn’t at Kai’s. Do you want me to have him call Sehun?”

“It’s okay. I’ll just wait.”

I didn’t want to but what other choice did I have. I didn’t want to look like a psycho sending him text message after text message.

“Are you okay?”

No. “Yeah” I pause “He’s normally at my mom’s studio helping me during the weekends. It’s just strange that he isn’t here or that he didn’t let me know he wasn’t going to make it.”

Not that he would anyway.

I hear her chuckle “Well, don’t start turning into the clingy girlfriend”

“Last time I checked, I’m still single”

“Oh stop it. Labeled or not I believe you two are in a relationship, a strange one but definitely in one.” She laughs “I have to actually go pick up Saerin right now, let’s meet up later?”

“I’ll let you know”

After agreeing on things we both hung up. I run my fingers through my lose strands of hair and I decide to redo my ponytail and when I finish fixing my hair, I try to practice again.

 

 

 

It was exactly 8:00 A.M. and class started with no sign of Sehun. I was hoping to see him today since I didn’t over the weekend. I stared at the classroom clock and figured he’s probably just being Sehun and taking his time coming to class. He knows he can’t afford to miss any days so I was expecting him to walk in at any moment.

My mind kept getting distracted as I kept glancing up at the big hand that kept rotating, time kept moving on and Sehun still hasn’t showed up for class. My knee began to bounce impatiently and as much as I wanted to focus, I couldn’t. I took a deep breath and exhaled it out collecting my thoughts, trying not to let his absence affect my studies.

 

 

I didn’t waste any time going to his locker after the break bell rang, I needed to make sure he was in school but when I reached his locker, it was empty. There was no Sehun and the boys weren’t crowding it like they normally do. I pull my eyebrows together and decide to meet them at our usual spot where we sit during break or lunch. When I do, everyone was sitting together but there was no Sehun.

Kris and Kai were teasingly bickering with each other as usual. I take a seat and it didn’t take long for Saerin to start questioning me.

“What’s wrong?”

I look up and fake a smile “Nothing”

She gives me the stink eye “What’s wrong?”

I had to think of something quick to make her get off my back “It’s just nerves. My audition isn’t far from now.” Hopefully that was a good enough excuse to have her drop the conversation.

It worked and soon everyone started talking about their funny moments during the weekend but I zoned out. I was surprised that none of his friends cared for his absence then I came to realize that I was caring way too much. I’m over reacting, I’ll see him tomorrow or maybe he’ll end up showing up during dance practice, either way I had to stay positive and ignore it the best I can.