Death, Regrets, Goodbye

♛Monster♛
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I ignored the text and went to sleep. 

 

 

''Come on.'' Daesung called out and I nodded, after finished packing the things and Hyun was already on the wheel chair. He refused to sit there at first, but when he realise he cant even stand up straight, without doubling over in pain, he gave up. Daesung pushed him through the hallway and I carried the duffel bag with me, thinking that I had forgot something important. Something is not right. 

We loaded the wheelchair into the van, tinted black and I got in, with Mr. Lee on the front seat and the driver. 

"How are you, Belle?" He asked and I smiled, before he fist bumped Hyun. 

"Vey hard to take care of this man, isnt it?" He asked again and I sighed, jokingly. 

''By the way, Belle, We will send you home, and get to the office, okay?" Mr. Lee informed after a while and my eyes widened. 

'' We got meeting with CEO Yang.'' Daesung continued and I glared at him. 

''Seriously?'' I asked and Daesung shrugged as we arrived in front of the apartment. 

''Meeting? Like this? But he just got out of the hospital, for god sake.'' I scowled and Hyun grinned. 

''Yah... dont be mad at Daesung....'' Mr Lee said and I shook my head.

''It'll be just for a moment, and after that, I'll go straight home, okay?'' Hyun added and I pursed my lips.

''Okay, okay...'' I replied and Daesung looked at me guitily. ''But it's not my fault...'' He pleaded to Hyun and Hyun hushed him, and I waved as they drove away. 

Something is still quite not right. Other than the fact that CEO Yang wanted Hyun to be in the YG building even when he cant even stand up. I sighed and walked into the lobby.

Maybe something happened at home. I should call mum and ask. I searched my phone in my handbag, and I flicked it on, before realising there's the text massage icon on the notification bar. 

Then I realise what was it that had me thinking. I opened the text immdietly, and held on the wall for support.

 

Grandma Han had passed away

 

The phone slipped from my hand. 

 

 

 

 

 

''Are you sure, this is the place, miss?'' The taxi driver asked me, as we get closer to the house. It's already mid day and the house was empty. I got out of the taxi after paying the fare and walked closer to the window, looking inside. I placed my palm against the window and sighed, remembered the time when  I met Grandma Han. It was the time when Min Ho introduced me to her. We were finding accsessories for the pool party. And she was a dear. She was important to him. 

I stopped the flashback as I peered closer to the window, seeing the furnitures all covered with white clothes. I think it's been a while since this shop was closed. Dust were visible everywhere. I stepped away when I heard the gravel carcking behind me and I turned around, to see a woman, chestnut coloured hair tight into a bun, with grey eyes.Her eyes were puffy and she was wearing huge black overcoat. All black.

"Excuse me?" She asked and I stepped away from the ledge.

"I...." I stuttered and she sighed.

"Are you a friend of Grandma Han?" She asked in a thick British accent. 

I nodded vaguely and she sighed. 

"You're late. We've already ended the burial ceremony in the cemetary." She said and she pulled out a paper. "I'll give you the address."

"Urm... My name is Amy.." She said as she wrote down the cemetary's location. I smiled briefly as she handed me the paper. 

"I'm sorry.... I dont recognize you... Who are you again?'' She asked as she started to held out her hand for a handshake. 

''I'm a.... friend... Min Ho's friend." I added and her eyes lit up.

"You are?" She smiled and I nodded slowly.

"That's how I meet Grandma Han." I explained and she nodded, looking at her wristwatch. 

"Listen, I need to be hurry to the airport." She said and she took her handbag. "Actually I need to lock the place,  so... Do you need anything else?"

"Owh, okay." I stepped back as she got to the door and I looked at her, fumbling with the keys.

"You know what..." I said and she stopped, looking at me with a desperate sigh.

"Can I take a last look around the house? You know, to ease the sadness?" I asked and she pinched her nose bridge.

"Yeah, sure, whatever. Just lock it, and give the key to Min Ho, okay? I need to rush." She replied and gave the keys to me, half running to the car and got into the front seat, and I saw an english man driving the car as they drove passed me.

I look at the keys in my hand and thought for a while. Maybe I should wait for Min Ho here. I went up to the door, unlock it and get in, greeted by the smell of wood and rosemary.

 

 

 

 

I didnt know what made me stay in Grandma Han's house, walking around the furniture that was covered in white clothes and looking everywhere. Sometimes, I think that I must be out of my mind. I mean, I'm not THAT close to Grandma Han. But part of me thinks that, maybe, I can get to know the lady more, and there's no harm on waiting Min Ho here. I should wait for him, right? I tried to call him several times, but it went straight to voicemail. 

After a while, I stumbled upon a collection of photo album, near to the wing chair next to a fireplace. I sat on the carpet, while leafing through the pages of the first photo album. The photo album was worn out, figure it may be decades old, and I start to look through the picture.

There was this very few yellowish black and white picture of man, smiling brightly towards the camera in his army uniform, and then ther was this wedding photo, I guess, of the man wearing Hanbok and his bride, kneeling on the floor in front of an altar. There is only one more vintage photo, of the couple, wearing ordinary clothes, infront of a house.

  Is that Grandma Han?

 And then, the pictures turned newer, maybe on the 80s. The aged bride was craddling a baby, and then walking beside a little girl. There's a big family photo of the girl, on the lap of another woman, with a man next to them, and Grandma Han behind them. I flicked through the pages, till the last page, I looked at the picture for a long time, finally everything falls into place. 

It was a picture of Grandma Han, on this wing chair, with Min Ho on her right and Amy on her left. This must be years ago. Amy was still having her black hair, compared to brownish elegant english women style I saw just now, and Min Ho looked younger. 

So.... Amy was the girl that Min Ho had talked about. . Wow... she's already with someone?

Suddenly the door bell chimes and Min Ho walked in. He hanged his coat on the hook and looked around for a while before turning to face me, shocked. 

"Belle.." He whispered and I smiled, closing the album in my lap and stood up. "Hey." 

 

 

"Sorry for the mess" He muttered as he pulled the chair for me to sit, and he heat some water in a kettle. The pantry was in a corner of the shop. I didnt realize that. 

"I'm sorry that I couldnt get to you last night." 

"I knew, Seung Hyun was hospitalized. He's more important to you."

"Min Ho, I..."

He turned his back on me, working on the drink all the time, as we talked. I was out of things to say and I sighed. 

"She left the Wongsam and Hwarot to you." He said and I blinked. 

"Wong-what?" 

"The wedding dress. The one that you saw the other day?" He said as he poured coffee into my cup, and his. He looked terrible, hair in disarray, gaunt face, and tired.

"I.... Owh." I shot my glance at the display that was covered in white cloth. 

"Yeah." He said and both of us were silent. 

" I thought... She wanted to give it to her daughter?'' I asked, and he smiled bitterly. 

"She realised that she never has one." 

I was dumbfounded by the statement. What? 

"I met Amy just now. She gave me the keys." He raised his eyebrows and placed his cup with a loud 'clang'. I jumped on my seat. 

"She went back already, huh?" I nodded slowly, and Min Ho shook his head. 

"Time changes people." He whispered and smiled painfully. 

"I'm sorry, Min Ho..." I muttered the word, and he shook his head again. 

"You know Grandma waited for her to come back from London, and she didnt appear, till the last breath." he rubbed his eyes, hard. I reached out, trying to touch his hand, but I halted, realising that I had made a barrier between us. And I stopped. 

"Apparently she appeared, just in time, before the will was read to the public. And she book the first ticket back to London after decided to give the property to the lawyer, and divide it to half after selling it." He sighed harshly, and I saw trace of tears in his eyes. 

"She's selling the house?" I frowned, and he leaned on the chair, wiping his eyes. 

"I just-women can be cruel, you know." He confessed and the statement stung me. I blinked a few times, as he looked away.  

"I'm sorry, Min Ho..." That was the only thing that I managed to say, and he shook his head, stood up and pulled out a bottle of liquour from the mini fridge, 

He drank it straight, and walked away, leaving me on the table alone. I turned to look at him, as he swayed and fell on the wing chair, craddling the bottle. I cant leave now. I can't leave him, broken like this. 

I sat on the table, for a while, thinking, until my phone rang. I looked at the caller and swallowed my saliva. . 

"Yes?" I answered and I heard chaos on the other side. 

"Belle!" Hyun called out and I looked at the phone, frowning. 

"What?!" I tried to tone my voice down. 

"I'm home. Where are you?" He asked and I snickered. Hyun. I forgot about him completely.

"What? Why is it so noisy? I'm walking around for a while." I tried to make excuses. And then I heard Daesung's hoarse voice screaming on the background.

"Why are they there?" I asked, and Hyun laughed.

"Come on home, we're celebrating." He added and I swallowed my saliva.

"Yeah... about that..." I stumbled on words. 

"Come on Belle! You dont have to cook! We bought everything." Young Bae called out on the phone and I shook my head. 

"Come home fast." Hyun called out and I nodded absently. 

"Okay, okay.." I hung up and I stared at the cup. I hung up and placed the phone back on the table, thinking. 

"Just go." I heard Min Ho said. He was behind me all the time. But his eyes were red, and the liquor bottle was on the floor, empty. 

"I dont care anymore." He threw a paper bag to me, with fabrics inside. 

"She packed this up before she fell unconsicious." He said and turned away, sitting back on the wing chair. His fingers were fumbling to open the cap of another bottle of liquor.  

"Min Ho.." I called out, trying to get closer. 

"GET LOST!!!!" He screamed and I was stunned. He stood up, pointing at me, and his eyes were wide. ''DONT YOUR UNDERSTAND?? LEAVE!'' He threw the bottle on the floor, where it broke into pieces, and I flinched as the pieces flew everywhere. 

I felt my eyes turned watery and I pick the bag, before running out of the door, and started walking to search for taxi. Tears flowed freely on my cheek. 

I didnt even care to turn around. I felt my chest ached as I tried to breathe despite the sobbing. 

''Where are you?'' Suddenly a call came in and I stopped my sobbing. 

''Belle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter