Head over Heels

♛Monster♛
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He  put down my luggage inside the room, next to his grey expensive-looking bag. Seeing my hand-me-down luggage next to his, made me feeling self conscious and I pursed my lips, thinking of the amount of reward that I need to pay to him.

He walked up to me and pointed at the bags.

“My stuff is going to be here, since there’s only one room. But then, I’ll be sleeping outside at night, okay?” He asked and I frowned, looking at him.

 

“Why?” I asked and he ignored my question, walking out of the door.

"Then I realise that it was a stupid question. Of course." I smacked my forehead and looked around the empty room. I am being a burden to him.

I looked outside of the window and the sky started to turn dark. I finally felt the tiredness, and realised that I’d spent the whole day, running around. I opened my luggage, seeing that every items was still where it should be, took out my travel pack toiletries and a pair of fresh shirt  and pants, before walking into the bathroom.

I showered and tried to avoid looking into the mirror as I wore my clothes. I am scared with the bruises and the cuts, and I didn’t want to remember about the night.

Deep down, I felt void in my chest. I tried to pull myself together, and I knew, I was being emotionless about the tragedy. But I can't feel anything.  

I took a small towel and wrapped it around my head, walking out.

He was waiting for his turn, sitting on the bed, a towel on his shoulder. I awkwardly walked to my suitcase, putting in the previous clothes,and I realised that the shirt was his. I turned around to ask him whether he wanted me to wash it, but he was already went into the bathroom, so I decide that I will wash it after all.

I couldn’t find any hair blower, so I walked into the living room, turning on the telly and waited for my hair to dry. Not long after that, he too, came out from the room, with wet hair and black shirt. He sat next to me, and both of us watched the screen, even though I kept glancing at him, and once in a while our eyes bumped each other.

 

“Hey, I think I should call room service for dinner. “ He declared and I nodded stiffly, still feeling the awkwardness between both of us.

 

He called the room service and I couldn’t handle the uncomfortableness anymore, so I walked inside the room, sitting on the bed, staring into spaces.

For a while, I thought about myself. What am I doing right now. Why am I here? For sure, I know that I was supposed to be having this holiday with my mother, but she cancelled on me for some school event, since she is a teacher. I couldn’t bear on the thought of wasting the plane ticket and the hotel, so I just went here alone, and it was my first time.

For the rest of one week vacation, I never went more than 500 metres away from my hotel, other than eating at that diner every night. Then, I realise that the vacation did not do any good for me, and that is why I hate going out.

I am always an indoor person.

Suddenly, I heard him calling me and my imagination bubble burst. He was holding his phone in front of me, and he gave it to me.

 

“Your mother.” He mouthed and I gasped.

 

“Hello?” I answered and I heard panic voices form the end of the line.

 

“Who is that man?  Why is he with you? Are you save? Are you in the embassy right now? When will you go home?” Questions flew at me, and I didn’t get the chance to answer them one by one.

 

“Mom,” I whispered, in hushing tone, as he walked out from the room.

 

“That is the man that had saved me. “ I continued.

 

“I don’t know where he come from, but I think he is Asian.” I carry on talking, disallowing her to criticize the fact.

 

“No, I am not at the embassy, the facility is not enough to cater me, unfortunately. And I will go home as soon as I felt like I'm ready, okay mom?” I said and I heard a sighed from the other side.

 

“It’s all my fault. I shouldn’ have let you go overseas alone.” I heard the sound of regret from her. I smiled weakly and replied,

 

“No mom.. Its already happen. You can undone what is done.” I said, trying to make myself agree with the statement. After few discussions with her, she finally said goodbye and told me to take care of myself.  

I sighed as I watched the line ended on the phone screen and I looked at the phone. Not look, stared at it. For a man’s phone, it is a very classy and scratch free. I was tempted to scroll the menu screen, but I realised that, a part of me didn’t want to know any further about this man.

Maybe he has a family, back home? Maybe he is a terrorist?

I looked up on all the option and I got headache, just thinking on the possibilities. Finally, I heard the doorbell rang and I walked out, to see a room service man put two trays on the table. The man glanced at me, once, and turned to walk out, before closing the door behind him.

My temporary roommate pulled a chair and gesture for me to sit. I rolled my eyes and sat, and he walked to the kitchen for a bottle of cold plain water and 2 glasses.

He sat opposite to me and smiled at me, before eating his Lamb Chop. I looked at my plate and frowned. The shrimp of seafood carbonara pasta stared back at me and lifted my fork.

Shrimps. Yikes. I dont like shrimps, other than buttered and fried.

 

After a while, he started talking.

 

“How is it?” He asked as I swallowed the pasta. I made a smile and nodded.

 

“you don’t like pasta?” He asked again and I shook my head.

 

“No, I am not that fussy on food.” I lied and he nodded. Still refusing to say anything, I continued eating, he too, and finished our food.

After the end of the dinner, I walked straight into the bedroom, without saying anything.

I walked around the room, not knowing what to do, and I heard the telly . I thought for a while. He? Who is this ‘HE’? I cant even remember his name. Seong? Jeong Hun? Weird chinese name. 

Finally, I went out to the balcony, and watched the dark sky, with wind blewing on my face. From afar, I could hear the faint sound of the sea, smashing the beach.

I looked at the buildings and was lost in thoughts before I heard he moved behind me. I inhaled deeply and sighed. He came out and put his hand on the divider, our shoulders met.

 

“I love this place.” He started the conversation. I had lost my concentration on the view. His hard shoulder grazing mine made my heart felt like it was going to blow up.

 

I too, put my hand on the rail, and leaned on it, to see the road below.

 

Suddenly I felt a hand, around my waist and he murmured into my ears, “I am afraid that you will do it again”

 

I turned rigid and my eyes looked away, didn’t know how to react. He pulled me away from the divider, and let me go. Realizing himself had gone too far.

 

“For your safety, you know.” He smiled and I nodded, again.

 

Suddenly, the view was not important to me anymore.

 

“Who are you?” I asked slowly and looked at him. “ Why did you help me?”

 

He looked at me and nodded.  His face looked like he was thinking hard, before he sighed.

 

“I mean, we didn’t even know each other. You don’t even know my name. I don’t even remember yours.” I admiited.

 

“Do you want… I mean.. Do you want to start all over? To be friend?” He asked, as if it was the first time somebody wanted to know him. 

 

I frowned and bit my lips. “Yeah. Sort of. Friends. I mean.. Why shouldn’t we be? You saved my life, and I am indebted to you.” I stopped, before continuing, “Its not like I didn’t want to pay the reward or something..” my words trailed off as I saw his eyes lighten up and he started to laugh.

 

“What?” I asked, irritated. He laughed so hard that he cant even stood up straight.

 

“You are still thinking about that? I thought you will think about your life in danger, being with a stranger, but no, you think about the reward all the time?” He asked, trying to calm himself from the laughter.

 

I rolled my eyes and sat on a balcony chair. “Fine.” I said and he too, sat on the second chair provided.

He was still smiling, before he cleared his throat, seeing my furious face.

 

“Okay. I don’t need the reward, okay? I helped you, based on humanity. I didn’t want any reward, from a victim.” He admitted and I felt a huge lump was removed from the pit of my stomach.

 

“Was you really, that worried about that thing?” He asked, leaning on the chair, staring at the sky.

 

“Yeah. Some part of me. I didn’t know I can afford to pay you.” I confessed and his lips curved inward, like he was holding his laugh.

 

“By the way,  you said you didn’t remember my name?” He asked, turning his head at me. I nodded slowly and he smiled. “Then we are running around, together, not knowing each other names.” He blurted out and that thought made me smile.

He leaned towards me and held out his hand.

 

"No... I remembered your name. It's come Chinese name...." My words trailed off, giving myself time to think

 

“Nooo.... it's no Chinese. I'm Korean. Choi Seung Hyun.” He said and I looked at his hand, slowly I took it and held it tightly.

 

"Owh.... I'm sorry.. I didnt mean to...." I dropped it and he smiled.

 

“Belle Atsumi”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter