Starlight Tears

♛Monster♛
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I tried not to smile gingerly. Looking at my reflection in the mirror amazed me. The lift crept slowly to the swimming pool.

In front of me, stood a girl, black hair tied in  a bun, skillfully spun with some vines dangling around her neck. The dress flowed to the ground like water, with the darkest hue in the bottom part, showing black stilettos. Small earring, with no bracelet, but all eyes will definitely fall on the necklace on her chest.

She too, can't take her eyes off the gem. The dark blue gem. With that weight, this necklace must’ve  worth thousands. I muttered to myself.

My own reflection does surprise me, when Tom left me, after he had done last finishing touch and I stared at the mirror till I realized it’s almost 9.

But I can't help but staring into every reflection that I made, and on the last few steps before entering the pool area, I look again at the glass door and smiled, encouraging myself.

It’s alright, I’ll just come in and get out as fast as I could. I fluttered my eyes, with shimmering blue eye shadow and pouting red lips, I almost laughed at myself. Fortunately the mask covered my cheeks, or else, people will see me like a china doll. Blushing with the amount of blusher Tom put on me.

 

“Well, here goes.” I gripped the clutch tightly and stride in.  

 

 

 

 

 

Min Ho was listening to a man, talking about his car, lazily nodding and hummed in reply. He was impatient, and his eyes were always on the entrance, waiting for her to come.

 

“Are you listening?” The executive director asked, and Min Ho gazed away, nodding, before making a smile.

He sipped his drink and rolled his eyes under the mask.

After a while, he excused himself for a refill and walked to the banquet table, picking up a sausage.

Suddenly, someone tugged his arm and hugged his arm hard.

 

“I  don’t think I look good.” The voice startled him and he glanced to his side, seeing her, and he smiled.

 

“Where’s your mother?” He bowed a little to face the girl. The girl was around 10 years old, with a pink ball dress. She pointed in a direction and Min Ho smiled, before giving her a piece of his sausage.

 

“I think you looked very beautiful.”

 

The girl’s face lit up. “Really? Like a princess??!”

Min Ho nodded eagerly, playing along, and the girl ran away, towards another group of girls at the end of the room.

He shook his head slowly and smile.

 

Alone, he stood next to the banquet table, waiting. 5 minutes passed and he finally gave up, loosening his bow tie. He started to walk away, when someone appeared at the entrance, looking around and walked in awkwardly.

His gaunt face suddenly turned bright, and he smiled, relieved. He had just started to walk towards her, when an elderly couple blocked the way and started to talk to him. She disappeared among the crowd, and Min Ho sighed in desperation.

“I think I’ve told you about my daughter.” The man asked and Min Ho smiled, in reply. 

 

“She’s a very lovely young lady. And I think she’s suitable for you too.” The wife continued and both of them laughed. Min Ho laughed along awkwardly. Couldn’t answer the proposal.

“Sorry, I made you wait.” A voice called out behind him and held his arm.

Both of the elderly couple looked at Belle in surprised, and the wife stopped sipping her champagne.

 

“Oh, what is this? Who is this nice looking girl” She asked with a very high-pitched tone, failed to cover her disappointment. .

 

“This is Belle.” Min Ho introduced her, and Belle bowed slightly, dumbfounded.

 

“Is she your girlfriend?” The man asked, and Min Ho put his hand on hers.

 

“Well, I hope so.” He smiled and the elderly laughed awkwardly.

Belle’s face was covered by the mask, that the couple didn’t realize she was frowning with the statement. She was really tempted to use the heel and stomped his shiny shoes, but as a friend, he has an image to take care of.

The couple looked away and excuse themselves hastily. Min Ho Held her hand tightly, and grinned.

 

 

 

 

 

“Girlfriend?” I whispered as the couple walked away,

Min Ho let my hand go and faced me, offering me a drink.

 

“Sorry. They are always offering me to meet their daughter. I don’t know how to say no….. So… I’m sorry the I used you.” He admitted and bowed a little apologetically.

 

I smacked his shoulder and smiled.

 

“Hey, what are friends for, right.” I looked at the banquet table, praying for any tidbits.

 

“But if it was for real..It’ll be great.” I heard him mumble behind me, and the tall glass almost slipped off from my hand.

 

“What? “ I turned and look at him innocently, pretending not to hear that.

 

“Nothing.” He replied and I turned away, trying to find Hyun to avoid the awkwardness.

 

“So…” He walked next to me, as I marvelled upon the pool, filled with balloon and glow in the dark sticks.

 

“You look pretty tonight.”

 

I smiled sheepishly. “Really? I don’t know. I feel awkward. You know.” I touched the mask, and he smiled too.

 

“I didn’t know that you are buying the suit with the same color of my dress. No wonder people believed that we are a couple.” I laughed and he grinned.

 

“You like the idea?” Min Ho asked, and pulled my hand, walking towards the crowd. I laughed, my palm started to sweat. Not good. This is really, not good.

People looked at us. Studying the reason why he was holding my hand, walking and greeting others who was generally the neighbors in the building, and to top it off, a matching suit and dress, along with the mask.

Finally, after 10 minutes of meeting and greeting people, with lot more question of ‘are we an item?’, we went into a corner, where the density of the people was lesser.

 

“How are you doing with Seung Hyun?” Min Ho asked, grabbing 2 tall glasses from a waiter.

 

“I don’t know. Fine, I guess. I didn’t even meet him since last evening. He got some work. Or something.” I explained, and looked around. Trying to find him in the middle of the crowd.

Does he think that it’s not worth it to come tonight? Or.. Is he that mad at me? The calls and texts I made were left unanswered, so I left my phone at home, since it’s like few floors away.

 

“You know what, maybe he’s not coming.” I said and turned around, before a face appeared in front of me.

The guy took one of the tidbits and leaned closer to reach for it.

I frowned at the smell of his cologne. Too strong, musky aroma filled my nose.

 

“Senior?” Min Ho called out and the  man looked at us with his lazy glance.

 

“Owh, Min Ho.” He said, stuffing the food in his mouth and walked past me, to hug Min Ho.

 

“What are you doing here?” Min Ho asked and the man looked at me, ignoring Min Ho’s question. His face was blank, I will say, maybe he got nothing in his mind.

He smiled, and then, I finally realize that he is alive, and a good looking man.
 

“Hyun Joong.” He introduced himself and I smiled back, shaking his hand.

He is a good looking man. Dark brown hair, nice features. But what made him stand out is his smile. His smile looked so sincere and sweet that I can't help but to smile back at him. He is a charmer, I would say.

He gazed back at Min Ho and they talked, while I looked around, still hoping to find Hyun.

Where is this man… Gosh… I took Min Ho’s hand and looked at his wristwatch forcefully. 9.45. That’s it. I’m leaving.

 

“Woo.. Who is this lady, Min Ho??” Hyun Joong asked and I realize my act might be a little bit too over reacting.

 

“Owh. I’m sorry for the rudeness.” I let his hand go and bowed, while biting my lips.

 

“”She is my…” I glanced and shot a warning to Min Ho. “ My new friend, Belle.” He ended and I grinned, satisfied.

Hyun Joong nodded, started to converse when suddenly someone called out his name from the crowd.

All three of us looked at the direction and a man appeared, bringing a wine glass and as he came closer, I looked at him in awe.

Different than all of the people, his skin glowed literally. His brunette hair was very smooth, that it made me want to crawl under the table with all of the make up Tom had pulled up on me. He wore black gleaming suits, with low round neck underneath, and he was tall. Taller than Hyun Joong.

A model.

 

“H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter