Chapter 6- Steps

Missing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I miss being a kid. I remember, though very faint, I'd play in a playground somewhere and endlessly try to reach the sky as I go back and forth the swing. The blue sky, the bright blue sky.. Things weren't complicated and the only thing you'd worry about is going to school and when is your meal. If only life could be that easy..

I'm living under new circumstances. I wouldn't call it home just yet but things seem a lot better than it was yesterday. I was just wondering why my mother wasn't around one day and next thing I knew, a man that claims to be my father pops up and then find him dead on our living room floor. Let alone, my mother was mumbling weird things saying that she can't be taken away. Who was "she"? A sister I never knew? A friend? I don't know. I'm completely clueless on that matter. 

"You've been staring out of the window for hours. Here.."

It was Key. He was handing me a cup of coffee. "Thanks." It was still early morning. I barely had a drop of sleep on me. I was homesick. I cried last night wishing my mother would be there beside me. But she wasn't. We are out of each others' lives and I practically have no idea as to where she is. 

"Where were you so early in the morning?" He asked. 

"What are you talking about?" Nervous.

"Come on. You don't have to hide it. I was up almost the entire night looking after Sulli. I came near the kitchen and found no one on the couch in which you were supposed to sleep in. I checked by the door and your shoes were gone. It's pretty obvious you went off somewhere.."

Guilty. "Fine. I went out earlier to check our house. I tried to see if my mother is still there. I tried knocking but it appears that no one was home. I gave up sooner then I came back."

He didn't reply. He just looked at me. Stop that. He looked at me as if he bore into my soul and told me that he understands. I felt that he did. I just wish he stopped looking at me like that. I'd cry if he continues. As if reading my thoughts, soon as I wished he stop. He did. He stood and went to the kitchen. 

"You found any place to stay yet?"

"I checked the paper this morning. There were some openings. I'll check them a little later."

"Sulli won't be awake until midday, I suggest help me in cleaning the house before you take off."

I drank the coffee I had in one gulp and helped around as he bid me to. It was the only way I can say thanks. I'll be sleeping on the road if he hadn't offered me to stay. However, last night was still quite shocking for me. It is not easy to take in the fact that you have no roof over your head and then find a friend of yours screaming, shouting and pleading for you to stop with such fear in her eyes. I just don't want to snoop around too much but I'm going to lie if I say I'm not curious why.We finished cleaning and I took of soon after to look for a place to stay. 

-----------------------

There was that sadness in her eyes. She was staring blankly into space the same as she did when I first met her when Sulli brought her in. The way her eyes were filled with emptiness. As if it was calling for help. But the thing I don't like was how much those eyes were similar to hers. As if...

"Oppa.."

"You're awake? Hey.. Come, have breakfast." 

"Where's Amber, oppa?"

"She went out for a bit. She's doing some business of her own. She'll be back later on I guess. Shut up and finish your breakfast. We have to head out to buy some things later on today for tonight. One of the light bulbs on stage is dead. I need to get a replacement."

"I get it."

Sulli was up early to my surprise. The medicine would typically make her dose off for almost half a day on a typical shot. Noon came and Amber came back. She looked depressed?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter