Chapter 24- Turned Table

Missing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The weather was giving the day away. The streets were dressed in white and the assorted winter clothes that people wore were the only source of color. I understand not a lot of people are fond of the weather especially of snow but I beg to differ. I am always in awe whenever the streets would be clad in white. It felt like my entire surrounding was one big sketchbook where I can imagine and try to illustrate my designs for clothing. It gives me such a thrill.
I was able to get out of the hospital the following day after I passed out at the company. I honestly have no clear memory of what happened, except that I had this intense headache that escalated to such proportions I literally out. The last thing I remember was Fei and the others calling out my name.

In case you haven't gotten the picture, it's already the 24th. Yes. It is Christmas Eve.

"Hey, you busy tonight Key?"

"Me? Not really.. Why? Want to go somewhere? It's fine with me but don't you have somewhere to go.."

"No, it's okay. I won't take long.."

Key had this odd sullen look on his face as he was looking blankly at the pictures which were placed on the wall opposite his bed. I noticed he has been doing for the past days which disturbed me a bit. I followed the direction of his sight and I noticed a picture of a man doing two thumbs up. He looked young. His face was masculine and donned a moustache which I bet was in during the time the photo was taken. The man had such a bright smile on his face but Key wasn't reflecting it.

"Who is he, Key?"

"Him? He's----"

"Hmm?"

"He's my uncle. We were close. He passed away when I was young. It saddened me a lot since I get to talk to him about different subject matters. As a kid, I enjoyed it a lot..It's just.."

"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it. Anyway, I should get going. I've still something to do. Be back later this afternoon."

"All right.. See ya. Tell me if you wish to meet somewhere in case you want to go somewhere."

I bid him my farewell and left. 

I do have plans. I plan to surprise him to invite him near the airport. I've already bought the tickets three days ago for our trip to Jeju but I haven't told Key the news. I plan to tell him later this afternoon after I settle some things at university. I know, it is annoying. It's supposed to be the holidays already. Well, it is but most of our professors really pushed the deadlines. I had to submit two design plates for a certain course. It was easy to do but the day we have to submit it was annoying. The professor for that subject would only accept the plates today not earlier nor later.

On the side note, he pretty much got the lowdown how I wasn't all too surprised to see Sulli with Minho. He got angry of course.. Disappointed, furious even. He complained why we had to keep it a secret. Sulli explained herself. Apparently, she revealed that she met with her biological mother. Sadly, she drove her away. Suffering from the rejection, Sulli admitted herself to a facility to receive treatment for her bipolar disorder and acute panic attacks. She remained in the facility for the first few months she was gone and contacted Minho once she was released.
Key could only let out a sigh at that time and Minho seems to have known the details before hand. I only listened. I felt I had no right to comment since it was between the siblings. In the end, they forgave each other. Key isn't all too game with Sulli going home with Minho but eventually gave in after much persuasion.

I envied Sulli at that time. Before I thought I had things easier. I wasn't sick and no one was really restricting my actions but after seeing her for the longest time, Sulli never looked better. She looked at ease, at peace, contented and happy. Don't get me wrong, I am happy but I have always ran away from the thought of forgiving my mother. I was hurt, deeply. My trust was broken and I am having a hard time patching it up for her. She hasn't showed any intent to initiate communication with me which pains me even more.

"Aish, I should stop.."

I headed into the university once I arrived. I should get the plates over with and go home as soon as possible. 
I ran through the hallway with a petty smile on my face. The walls were literally empty and it was a guilty pleasure I've always wanted to do. I sped to the faculty building to submit my plates to Ms. Yang's office.

"What's with the rush???" someone shouted. I turned my head and was pleasantly surprised to find Donghae oppa still in the university. I made my towards him. "What are you still doing here, oppa? No where to go to?"

"Not really. I'm not a lonely ajussi, okay? I just need to fix some of the papers of the students. I don't want to be on vacation and be worried whether or not I have graded the papers.. I'd rather finish them before the holiday proper starts. Anyway, what brings you here?"

"I have to submit a plate. Ms, Yang required all of us in her class to submit it on the 24th. It's annoying to be honest but I'm glad I didn't have to worry about requirements during Christmas."

I gave him a smile and he smiled back. "Ohh, yeah."

I grabbed something from my bag. It was a giftbag. Nothing fancy, just a "Merry Christmas" written in English on the paper. I handed it to Donghae oppa. He immediately opened it and found a knitted a scarf. "I made that myself. It's not much but I figured I could give you something.."

He gave a faint smile and placed his hand on my head. I was a little confused with what he was doing but I was appeased when he started messing my hair. 

"Thank you for this. Thank you for remembering Amber.. Always, always remember." He walked away without an explanation for such a weird thank you. I proceeded on my way to Ms. Yang's office. I ate up time. The sooner I get home, the better.

--------------

I was in luck. Little to very few people have submitted this early for the day so Ms. Yang would give additional points for the first six people to submit. I was the fourth. "Well, that was dandy."
I was humming happily until I heard someone call on me. 

"Is someone there? Who is it?"

I looked around. I didn't see anybody. "Hey.." Another call. "Yah! Stop scaring me!"

A laugh soon resonated along the empty hallway. Someone popped out of a pillar and I was more than pleasantly surprised to see who it was. "Soojung-ah!" I ran towards her and pulled her in for a tight hug. We were laughing crazily like little kids.

"When did you get back?!"

"Technically, five days ago but I had to fix some things at our company for two days so I felt on vacation only for three days so far. Glad to be back Ambs! You busy? Care to join me for coffee? I have a lot of things to catch up on."

I really wanted to go home early but the her offer was tempting. I haven't seen Krystal for who knows how long and there she is back in the flesh looking all fresh and glammed up after her trip to the United States. I wanted to tell Key the news but I suppose it can wait. "Sure, let's go."

She was driving a new ride. It was really sleek. She gave me a wink and asked me to sit in the front passenger seat. The interior was even better than the exterior. It was obvious that Krystal incorporated her good taste for fashion. The seats were of burgundy color and the fabric used looked really expensive, I think it was silk. We headed to our favorite cafe.

"Here's your caramel macchiatto. Well, Ms. Liu? How have you been?"

"I've been good but hey, before we get to me. How was your trip to the States? Your dad? How is he?"

"No fair! I asked first. Anyway, since you are so interested. Well, the treatment was successful. They did some sort of treatment on him. It took about two weeks for the effects become evident but after that all it took was a week. We decided to go back. He can receive therapy here but otherwise, dad is doing great. I only wish mom would've made it but I guess that's how it plays. Getting back to you,, what's up?"

"Well, things in school have been swell. Donghae oppa, he's been a good oppa to me."

"And? What else?"

"Jonghyun and I haven't talked much but he texts every once in a while asking how I am doing. We're friends? I guess. Key and I, well.. We're going out so to say. We're going steady to be honest. Haven't had problems so far."

"Woah. Good for you, Ambs. Damn, I am yet to find a guy to suit my taste. Anyway, there is a small bazaar near Han River.. Wanna see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter