Chapter 47- Getting Her Back

Missing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun provided an odd contrast to the colors of the season. The winds were chilly and the leaves have colored the roads. It always slips my mind that it is already the third week of November. December will come in a week and her death will come in three. She's technically not dead. We all know that but in the depths of my mind, I've learned to commemorate my loss every year since it happened. Whether I was alone or out with some friends, I never fail to make a toast and raise it for her. But somehow, a small smile cannot escape my lips because after all those toasts and wishes I raise to the heavens, I can finally have her by my side.

It was just a little past noon and we were already at Ulsan. No one from the initial crowd bailed out of the mission. Everyone was still willing to help in saving Amber and Eunji. Let alone, three more skillful were added and somehow we no longer have an excuse to fail at anything. The one week that I was initially against for turned out to be one of the most worthwhile weeks I've had in a long while. IU, Jonghyun and Kai were gracious enough to lend me a hand and they trained me. They trained me well. I felt more excited rather than nervous to face the enemies that lie ahead of our path.

"Jonghyun texted me that once we enter Ulsan, we'll first head to their apartment to settle everything first before we head on to the branch family's house."

I nodded with Jonghyun hyung's words. "All right..."

"What's with the lingering?"

"I don't know hyung. It's just that something has been bothering me ever since Amber was taken captive.."

"Spill."

"It's my father. He hasn't been in contact with us even before we went out just a little over a week ago. Knowing how he is, he would've at least called. And besides that..."

"Besides what?" He asked. I shook my head.
"What is it, Kibum?"

"I still can't figure how they were able to tap into Amber's location. Min and Doojoon would notice if ever they were watched and even if Min said that Amber felt that she was in danger, I think that's just Amber but she wasn't entirely certain. Something tells me that someone knew where Amber was even before we entered the house."

"I've debated on that thought, Kibum.. I honestly did and talked about it to Joonyoung. He refuted the idea. He mentioned that it would be so easy for Hyuna or anyone to keep on a lookout to survey the area."

I no longer replied and only nodded. Joonyoung made a point and it made sense. However, it still bugged me as to why they were able to tap into Amber's location so easily.

--------------------

We drove on further away from Daegu and a little past two, we arrived at the Lee Siblings' crib. I wasn't all too surprised with the size of their place. They were rich. Even back then, I knew they were already one of our few well off cousins. Their mother, my aunt, was gracious enough to offer her own children a place to stay once they decide to move out. 

"Our place is not much but please do feel comfortable." IU remarked. 

"Not much? Are you kidding? Your living room is as big as my room and kitchen combined!" Min added. Everyone settled into their respective places and we brought out the equipment we will be needing; guns, a few bombs, smoke pumps, first aid and a whole lot of guts. I took one of the guest rooms that they had and prepared my personal gun. It's something I never bring out but I've had it for the longest I can remember. Even before my father left, I've had it in my possession. 

"You seem ready for action hyung.."

"Ohh.. Hey Kai!" I continued to tinker with my gun while Kai walked into the room. I then felt weight just beside me and I realized he must've sat down. 

"I met this really pretty girl when I was out of things to do.."

"Really now? Good for you.. How did you stumble upon to meet her?"

"I take this part time job at a hotel. I work there when I'm not doing anything and that's where I met her. She's really pretty and it kind of I had to leave when I just met her. I left her my alias just in case."

"Is she that pretty for you to gush about her so much? Why don't you spill me on some details on how she looks like and perhaps I can understand where you're coming from."

"She's not too tall. She's quite slender and her hair is really long. She has really pretty lips and her nose is just right. The way her eyes communicate her soul is also something. Add to that her very pretty name, Soojung."

I almost dropped my gun when he mentioned Soojung. Was it Jung Soojung? Krystal? The girl that used to be head over heels for me? Kai questioned my slipped action and I insisted it was nothing. I smiled and only laughed at the idea that he met Krystal so untimely. Though it bothers me a little that last time I heard, she was dating Amber's brother, Donghae. 

Our small talk continued for a little while but I spent most of my time cleaning the gun. IU and the two Jonghyun hyungs I had went in and out of the room questioning me about what is about to happen. They said that the final say was in my hands. I was quite taken aback by the responsibility but I decided to let everyone have their time for now before we proceed just a little after dusk. Blood will be shed and I'd prefer to do it not under the scrutiny of daylight.

We've been in the cold pavement floor for the entire morning. The man's busted lip and eyebrow were a pity to look at. It looks as if it can get infected any minute. It's more than obvious that he was beaten to a pulp. To me, it appeared that he would be better left dead with the way he looked. I wanted to show him mercy. I wanted to tend to his wounds. Heck, he was almost a spitting image of Kibum but something was stopping me. There was something holding me back for me to show a hint of pity toward him.

Let alone, I was having difficulty breathing. Imagine if you were in my situation? Your life is under threat. You have no one to look after you at the moment and the only thing separating you and the person you despise with your entire being is just a hair strand away from where you rest.. Now, tell me.. Can I still breathe at a normal pace? Kibum's father was still beside me and he has remained quiet. However, he was just staring at me which made things a lot more nerve wrecking. 

"Could you please stop staring at me? It's more than enough that we are placed in this awkward situation.."

"I've looked at you ever since I've got a good view of your face and I said to myself something was familiar about you. You are Kibum's childhood friend, aren't you?" I didn't respond. I remained mum while he continued to look at me.

"How has my son been?"

"He's fine.. He's grown to be quite the man." I replied. He smiled.

"This is all my fault.. but I never wanted this to happen that was why I left. I chose to protect them even if I knew that the only family I have left will hate me, especially Kibum.. My very own son won't even talk to me." I heard that he was on the brink of sobbing. I looked back at him and saw the tears already glistening from the corner of his eyes.

"What are you talking about?"

"I abandoned them. You can put it that way. I think he has mentioned that I left him and his sister in the dark without telling them anything.. That I left them to fend for themselves. It was difficult to do that but I had to. I had to do it just so the family will follow me and not them. Just so the family will stop pursuing them. I never wanted that kind of life for them. It was the life that I knew but after countless killings and seeing young children cry and get hurt by the loss of their parents and families, it broke my heart. I didn't want my children to grow up into the monster I've become."

"You should've thought about that before pulling the trigger." 

"It was the only life I knew. I was born into this profession and I wasn't given the choice to choose. My parents didn't give me that chance. Some of my siblings were lucky to be able to leave without a trace but I had it differently. I was considered special. I was trained even at a young age and it was ingrained in my mind that killing is the only option. I learned of that even before I knew what love was."

"If you wanted to..."

My words were cut short when two guys entered. It was Taeyang and P.O. The latter dragged me and tied my hands to chains that were just by the wall. Taeyang then grabbed Kibum's father by the hair and dragged him to the other opposite of the garage. I had a perfect view of what they were doing. The two of them proceeded to tie him up as well and later punch him to no end. The man winced in pain while I tried my best to look away from what was happening. Taeyang and P.O. were taking pleasure in inflicting him pain. They were laughing hysterically while the man continued to receive every blow.

I feel no different from the two of them for not saying anything. A part of me was saying that he deserved it for killing my parents but another was telling me otherwise.

The day quickly passed by. I was just at the guest room looking into the ceiling imagining how things would be once I step into the branch house. I am ready to kill. I am ready to taint my hands with blood just so I can save Amber.. I am ready to be a killer for once in my life just to ensure Amber's safety. I will never be the blood hungry monster like my father.. I can never stomach killing people for the sake of other people's cowardice but if it means I can protect my loved ones.. Killing is something I am willing to do.

"Everyone is pretty much set to deploy out to the battlefield. What do you say, commander?"

"Don't call me that hyung.. I can barely do anything."

"Even if.. they are after you so I bet they will not face anyone besides you. Don't be too pressured but you still be facing the last stage tonight. We might finish tonight or tomorrow but promise me something, Kibum.."

"Hmm?"

"You will make it out alive.. You and Amber will make it alive and that you will take care of her whatever happens.. That you will always protect her no matter how hard the problem may be."

"I will, hyung. In turn, I want you to promise me that you will make it out alive as well.. No one will die in this. Promise me that.."

"You've got my word."

With a handshake and a nod, we packed our bags and headed off. In less than thirty minutes, the world as we know it will completely change.

--------

I took the wheel of the van. Oddly, everyone were noisy as we drove. Luna and Onew were bickering over some petty thing that was related to their apartment. Joonyoung was reminding Seohyun to not go crazy once more even in the presence of Chansung. Seohyun didn't promise anything but she did say she will no longer be trigger happy. Jonghyun and Min were flirting in the other corner of the van. Kai chose to ride with us while IU and Jonghyun used their motorcycles.

We took a left turn, tredged along the highway and took another right. By less than a kilometer, the gate of the branch family's house was in view. As we were gearing to immediately go out of the car, one of the tires popped open causing the vehicle to stop and almost tumble. Everyone quickly took hold of a gun and carefully went out of the van. 

"They placed spikes on the road!" Doojoon announced to everyone. We lowered ourselves and headed for the gate. Seohyun placed one of her famous devices that blew up doors and stuff like that. We all covered our ears and immediately raced inside. The coast was clear for the first few steps before we heard three gunshots fired. 

"Duck!" Onew shouted. We took cover and three people came out. Hyuna, a guy in tattoos and Junho. Chansung was nowhere in sight.

"Huh. Are you guys that desperate?!" Hyuna shouted. "You even called for the Lee siblings?? Do you think you those two can even do anything?"

Hyuna wasn't even able to finish her sentence when IU fired her gun and grazed Hyuna just by the cheek. The former's eyes widened in anger and screamed. The guy in tattoos who Hyuna called Jay brought out his guns to aim at IU. Jonghyun was more than armed to protect his sister.

"You guys go on ahead. We will handle these three!"

"Not so fast!" Hyuna screamed.
"Let it go Hyuna, you're with me!" IU replied

We rushed to enter the house and the door was open. We raced up the stairs and we were welcomed by another three men dressed in black. Onew recogniz

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter