Chapter 49 - Betrayal?

Missing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wanted to fly out of the door as quick as possible. I turned my back on him once again but not for a personal reason. I had a perfectly valid reason as to why I did it. I did it for the benefit of someone. It's not a noble act on my part but it was more of me doing the right thing. It's not so much redemption for the revenge I intended to do. I believe I've paid the price for that. This act is more of the fact that I can't bear the thought of being happy yet someone is suffering; someone that shouldn't have suffered in the first place.

I closed in the door that lead to the rooftop. Unfortunately, I stopped on my steps when I noticed Minho going the opposite direction. My supposed quiet departure is going to turn out messy. I quickly wiped my tears for him not to notice but it was to no avail. 

"Amber? Are you crying?" He said as he tried to grip my arm. I forcibly escaped his grasp and ran downstairs.

"Amber? Amber!"

I made a run for it down the stairs but not from afar I heard a voice calling on me once again. It was no longer Minho's voice. It was Kibum. He was calling on me as Minho seemed to be chasing after him since I heard his voice faintly as well. It broke me even more. The tears that were slowly appearing turned into a downpour. I was trying my best to muffle my cries by biting the sleeve of my sweater. I hastened my pace that I actually tripped on one of the steps.

"Ohh my.. Miss, are you all right?"

It was a stranger. She helped me stand but instead of me thanking her I ran away just so Kibum and Minho wouldn't catch up. I reached the entrance of the hospital and called on a cab. It's time for me to head home. I had to make a choice. It was a painful one. I don't know if he will still forgive me this time around but I know I had to do it. Snow has started to fall and with every flake my heart continues to break and my tears continue to fall.

"I'm sorry, Kibum."

 

 

I was told by Jinri to fetch Key and Amber from the rooftop. She knew that it would be the spot the two would usually stay when no one else can spot them inside the hospital. But instead of reaching the rooftop, I stopped just before I reached the door. I saw Amber speeding through the door as she covered her eyes and mouth. She was obviously crying. Before I can even chase after her, Key came running through the door as well. Crying, hysterical even, as he called out Amber's name.I kept asking him what was going on but he didn't bother answer my questions. He looked straight at the stairs as if tracking any marks Amber could've left with her feet.

By the time I caught up on Key, he was kneeling on the cold pavement of the side walk in front of the hospital with no Amber in sight. That's when it became clear to me, she decided to leave. Amber left once more and this time around I had this odd feeling that there would be a strong possibilty of her not coming back.

 

"I can't believe this! She chose to leave you again? Look, I don't know her personally.. But oppa, will you let a woman do this to you? If you want we can call on several of our cousins to trace her!"

"I don't think that would be necessary for now IU unnie. She might've gone home anyway so it would be pointless to trace her. Acting with violence will only drive her away."

"But come on Jinri! Wasn't it enough that Jonghyun oppa died on us? I knew what she meant to Jonghyun oppa. I would talk to Jonghyun oppa at times and I knew that he harbored special feelings for her. Did she even think about that before she left? No!"

"Unnie.."

We were in Lee Jonghyun's room. He has recovered just fine and just observed with the discussion the women were conducting in his room. He kept his mouth shut while I tried to intervene. Their discussion is turning pointless anyway. Key had no care in the world. He just watched outside as the snow slowly fell on the window and on the streets below. He looked endlessly through the horizon as if he was trying to see what lies beyond the sea. 

"If you look that intently, you might see the southern most islands of Japan."

"I get her reason. I understand that she only wishes for Eunji's recovery but why did she have to leave? I am sure we can work a way around it. Why did she have to give me the cold shoulder? Why now when everything is somehow settled? No one is threatening our lives anymore."

"To tell you the truth, I am with Amber on this one. She needs time. She needs a break but not necessarily from you. I talked over with Jinri while you were gathering yourself in the bathroom. We both agree that Amber had to deal with a lot of things in the course of one year. Regaining her memories, forgiving herself and the world basically. We suppose that she only needs to gather her thoughts for the time being while giving you the opportunity to take care of Eunji. She's right. Eunji needs help. I seriously fear for that girl's life whenever she goes haywire. Do your part."

Key only replied with a sigh as he continued to look outside. Meanwhile, Onew knocked on the door with his bright eye smile and brought out two paper bags. I scrunched my eyebrows asking what it was. Instead of answering my implied question, he pointed at me and Key asking both of us to come near. I tapped Key on the shoulder and we went over to Onew's side.

"You guys have some time to spare? I have some chicken and beer with me in case you guys wish to relax a little bit after everything. Doojoon got a place nearby for the meantime. He volunteered that we could eat over at his apartment. What do you say?"

I looked questioningly at Key who only shrugged his shoulders. I gave Onew a thumbs up. I might as well drag Key along with me. A little fun won't hurt. He deserves it. 

 

"For Christ's sake, Key! A turtle is faster than you. Could you hurry up? Onew hyung sent me the location of Doojoon's place and we can't walk over there. It's almost at the other side of town. Ppali!"

"Will you wait up, Minho? It's not like Onew hyung will leave immediately like that. Aish, this kid. We've been running for the last three blocks chasing after cabs! They will stop if you call on them Minho. Stop. I'm tired!"

"There are a lot of passengers today since the snow started to fall out of the blue. Come on! Hey.."

I was literally panting. The cold weather is not helping at all. Ultimately, Minho decided to wrestle with another guy just so we can ride the taxi. It was already quarter to seven. Night has fallen and the snow continues to fall. Onew and Doojoon were expecting us to almost an hour ago. We traveled for another 20 minutes or so before we reached the small apartment complex Doojoon got a place at.

"209. Here we are."

Minho knocked and a smiling Doojoon welcomed us into his home. It was quite similar to the size of my apartment back at Seoul. A little bit smaller than his place but the vibe felt the same. Onew hyung was already enjoying a glass of cold beer on the table. He invited us to join in and Minho didn't take any second chances to go ahead of me. He took a thigh and popped open a bottle of beer. It placed a small smile on my face. He looked like an excited kid.

"Easy there Minho. You look so excited to drink. Don't you drink with Sulli?"

"We do but it's so rare. I'd prefer to go home early instead of drinking with my employees. You can say that I rarely get the chance to do so that's why I take every chance when the opportunity persists. Here." Minho replied with a mouthful of chicken. He offered me a bottle which I gladly took and sip.

Doojoon sat with us as he brought out a bowl of fish crackers for us to enjoy. Minho brought out his phone and volunteered to order and pay for four bowls of jjajangmyeon; one for each of us. Everyone cheered, including me. I don't remember the last time I enjoyed something like this. We talked over the beer, chicken and noodles. Doojoon was the first one to share. He confessed to us that he had the hots for Seohyun but was turned off when she went all crazy at the sight of Chansung. He also said that the police are quite complacent. He can easily access the weapon vault of their station and get bullets, guns and other equipment he could use for his hunt.

Onew hyung's story is a little more dramatic. He actually traced back to his high school days when he first saw Luna; Sunyoung as he would call her at times. He mentioned that both of them didn't start out with this crazy lifestyle. They were good students of their respective schools; good grades, members of different organizations and had many friends. They met through a conference and pretty much fell in love. Things started to take a turn when Onew lost his father and Sunyoung's family got harrassed by a gang. They turned a complete 180 degrees and turned into delinquents. The two of them married early and started to educate themselves with guns. They were able to fend off the gang eventually and they decided to leave. Hyung revealed that most of their clients are actually families harrassed by gangs. Similar to the situation Luna had.

Minho shared the same old stories I have heard before about him and my sister; about how inlove he is ever since he was young and how painful it was to separate with Sulli when we were young. I was stifling a laugh as he narrated his tale. It sounded so cheesy to me. He had a tendency to over dramaticize certain situations which made the matter a whole lot funnier. However, before even Minho finished his story, memories of Jonghyun hyung came flooding in. I looked at my beer and remembered how the two of us would spend the last few weeks in my apartment before heading out to the rescue. I remembered how he would tease and embarrass me in front of Amber when the three of us drank together. I felt the tears threat in my eyes that I covered them in order to prevent any further damage. 

"Key.." Onew hyung called on. Minho already held on my shoulder which didn't help whatsover.

"I'm sorry. I am ruining the festive mood but I can't help it. I just remembered Jonghyun hyung and how

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter