Chapter 44- Mind Games

Missing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It reeked. There were bodies of floating dead rats that were as big as three-month-old kittens. Add to that the stagnant water and piled up trash that clogged the ducts. It's difficult to breathe and despite the effort to try and cover my nose the stench will continue to seep into my  nostrils and play funny games with my senses. It's the type of stench that can render you unconscious if you smell it too long. 

We left a little past ten this evening. The streets of Seoul remained bright because of all the neon but as we got farther and farther away the central district of Seoul, the lights started to fade out. Jonghyun and company rented out two vans for the trip. Min was driving one while the other was driven by Joonyoung. The three men remained in one van while Min and I stayed together. I insisted to stay with Kibum but he preferred to have me stay with Min. I believe we haven't left Seoul itself. We haven't paid at a tollgate either. We turned left at an intersection before this and here we arrived at a dark, shady place.

As I covered my nose, the doors of the vans were open while they're parked. I saw a glimpse of Kibum resting his head. He had his eyes closed. It's been the second or third time I've seen him cry so suddenly. He mentioned that he was scared of what the future holds for us. We both are. Our future is now ambiguous. The situation we engaged in is dangerous. For all we know, we could die from what we are doing. I've said before that I no longer fear death. In a way, what I've said is true. The only thing I am scared of right now is not being able to make-up for my mistake of even trying to hurt Kibum. I am scared that it will be too late.

"Psst! Hey...Hey, sleepyhead!"

"Hmm?"

"You awake?"

"I am now. Is something wrong?"

"How can you sleep when the air reeks?"

"I try to ignore it if I can. How about you? Why are you looking at me so lovingly from there? Miss me already?" He asked as he faced me. I only pouted and nodded which brought a smile to his face. He pucked his lips as if he was trying to give me a kiss. It made me giggle. The simplest of things he does never fails to amuse me.

"Who are we waiting for? And why here?"

"I'm not sure. I think this is the place where they agreed to meet the others. It's not the most attractive place but is no less than ideal. You do know that they're also hunted down by the law. They've got to remain undercover."

Just then, Joonyoung and Min stepped in and asked us to follow them. I got off and immediately ran over to Kibum's side to hold his hand. He tightened his hold on me and we walked along a trail. It appears we're in a sewer system of some sort. We went down a few steps and a door was opened just a few steps away from where we went off. Bright lights welcomed us. It was a room? It was big enough to accommodate about 20 people. The only thing that was running through my head at that time was finally I can breathe properly. I looked around and I saw three unfamiliar faces.

"You guys are here.. All right. We're still lacking two more people but they said they won't be taking long. Anyway, a little introduction won't do any harm, I suppose? Any volunteers?"

A blonde haired guy raised his hand and clicked his tongue. "Native to the streets of Seoul, I've been a hunter for the past six years. My name is Jinki but I prefer you call me Onew."
"Nice to meet you everyone, I am Lee-Park Sunyoung. I've been a hunter for the past four years. I started when I was 17. I've been a trained gymnast and taekwondo athlete ever since I was young. Nice to meet all of you."

"Lee-Park?" I reiterated.

"They're husband and wife, Amber." Jonghyun replied. I pursed my lips to not let any other words escape my mouth but it was not like I still had anything to say. I sat at one of the chairs while Kibum rested by the wall. Joonyoung sat at the other end of the room while Min stepped outside to light a cigarette. I observed and somehow the evidence of them being a couple kind of showed up but I will never assume they were vigilantes of some sort. They had sweet smiles plastered unto their faces and their aura is really friendly. By 11:12pm, the door opened and Min entered with another girl and a guy in a police uniform. I panicked inside but all of them welcomed the two. 

"Key, Amber.. This is Doojoon. He's a policeman by the day and a hunter by night. He specializes in handling weapons. He has access to weaponry provided by the government exclusively to them; latest and high-tech. She's Seohyun. Singer by passion. Hunter in profession." Seohyun bowed politely while Doojoon only let out a smile before asking for an explanation on what would the plan be. It's been decided that we will head to Daegu. Joonyoung recommended to completely rule out Ulsan. He said that they want to make it feel obvious that they would be heading to Ulsan. The rest of them agreed. Kibum engaged into the conversation while I remained by myself as I continued to look at them. 

"Based on my analysis and slight signals I was able to pick up. They're around Sincheon. If not exactly there, they'd be really close."

"So, these relatives of yours Jonghyun? What are they? I know you mentioned they're assassins but what is it that they exactly do?" Onew asked.

"How do I put this? It's like, they're like a gun-for-hire? Key and I haven't really got a clear picture but we do know that the family goes way back. Joseon period, if I remember correctly? They were trained and were involved in the affairs of prominent people. My father told me before that the family weren't really assassins and all. They were guards or a group of people that provided security to the elite. They were dignified. By the turn of the century they went underground and did what they did. That's all I know."

"Did you guys bring any guns or whatnot? I can prepare them. With what you mentioned, I firmly believe it would be the best for all of us to get some rest. I'll be fine in sleeping in late. We will need sleep. My reason for joining in all of this is not because of money. I seek revenge from members of your family. Chansung.. That guy destroyed my hunt. He made me lose an already clear success and I hate him for that. Let alone, he killed my colleague, Kyuhyun."

She made a point. By then, everyone deployed. The room we were in apparently held two other rooms which both were bedrooms. Joonyoung and Jonghyun will remain here. The couple, Doojoon and Min will occupy one while Seohyun, Kibum and I are in the other. Everyone brought out their guns and handed them to the girl. Most of them I can't tell what they were. Kibum was already lying down while I continued to look at Seohyun.

"You are that famous designer, aren't you?"

"Excuse me?"

"Hana..Lee Hana. That's who you are, aren't you?"

"Well.. That's. Yes, you can say that. Let's just say that Hana is an alter ego of mine. She is a completely different person. My real name is Amber." She continued to tinker with the guns while I just sat looking at how she cleans them.

"Well then, Amber.. What is a designer like you doing here? I presume you are also acquainted to the victim? Your friend, I suppose?"

"Yeah..She's a friend. We're not very close but she's a very nice girl. I'm here to help..In a way, you can say that I am somehow connected to all of this."

"I see.. Though one thing does baffle me. Jonghyun informed me early on that the man beside you is the one that requested for help in all of this. I am not informed on the story but Jjong mentioned that he and that guy are cousins and they decided to leave the family and the girl that has been abducted is in no way connected to their family. If that is the case, why bother so much to rescue her? I've known Jonghyun for some time now and based on my understanding he's not the type to meddle in anyone's affairs without a reason. I know he has a caring nature to him but he's always been a lone wolf. He never liked operating in packs. Is this girl that we're about to rescue so special?"

"What are you trying to say?"

"Come on, think about it. That girl is bound to have a special significance to that man. He wouldn't request a rescue if he didn't care. He could just leave her be and not ask for any of this. He is practically subjecting other people's lives in danger. It's just that all of us have personal motives for doing this. Is she his girlfriend or something?"

"She is not and Kibum is not that type of person! He was lured into this. He doesn't have to deal with any of this but he chooses to do so. It's not just him but his father as well. He would still be concerned and take the initiative to rescue a person."

"Lured? Then if he knows it so well, why fall for it? Why bite? It's because of that girl. And do you think he will do the same if he finds for example that I was the one abducted? I don't think so. Now, before you wake anybody by shouting, I suggest you get some rest. You chewed unto this mess so you better swallow it tomorrow. These men that we would be dealing with are no joke."

I scoffed her words off and decided to lay down in bed with my back facing hers. I was prepared for an argument. I am sure that no matter who or what is involved, Kibum will help. I am sure of it. I know I'm being defensive but it's just my own way of saying that she should just back off and keep snarky comments to herself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surprisingly, I was able to fall asleep so quickly. I didn't dream of anything but despite the two hour sleep, I was able to get some rest. Last night, everyone finally got the lowdown on how things would work. We'll leave 5:00am today. We'll be at Daegu a little past sunrise. Doojoon and Min would pose as a couple and scan through the area. Once they find the exact location at Sincheon, we'll deploy by dusk. Attacking them at night will be like fighting fire with fire but they said it was the best option. I woke up and Seohyun was already done and has neatly placed all the guns in a row. Amber wasn't by my side. Worried, I got out of bed. I saw Seohyun preparing herself a cup of coffee while Joonyoung and Jonghyun were asleep.

"She's outside." Seohyun pointed at the door.

I slowly twisted the door knob and I heard sobbing. Before completely opening, I saw Amber seated on the cold cement as she held her phone. She was evidently talking to someone. Her voice was too soft for me to hear but she was crying when I saw her. It must  be her brother. Somehow, there was this guilt that ached my heart. She's been involved even before we realized who we were and what we meant in each others' lives but somehow I quickened the possibility of them finding her. I dragged her into this mess and has separated her from her family.

"Amber."

She sloppily wiped the tears off and gave me a smile. She held my hand and we headed inside. Min was out, preparing as well. Luna was already folding the blankets even if her husband was still lying on bed. The two J's that slept in the living room were still asleep despite all the commotion. Doojoon kicked them causing everyone to burst in laughter. By 4:15am. We were all prepared and set to go. The setup goes as Min, Amber, Seohyun and Doojoon were in one van. I'll be staying with Joonyoung, Jonghyun hyung, Onew and Luna. The guns which Seohyun cleaned were in the trunk of our van. 

I kept my eyes on Amber the whole time. It will be best if she's not with me as we travel. We'll never know when my relatives will strike. None of the two of us really know how to handle shoot outs and holding a gun. Since they are after me, they would not notice her so easily. She'll be safer when we're not together as we travel. Min and the other two with her are more than skilled to protect her. I was at ease yet tensed at the same time. 
What bothers me however is that my father is leaving no trace whatsover. I've tried calling him to tell him what is going on but his cellphone has remained unattended. It has also stopped leading to voicemail whenever it's left unanswered. My father has been one of the pioneer members of the family and I believe he can fend for himself but I can't help feel bothered on why he is acting as such. 

"You've been oddly quiet ever since we left an hour ago. It won't take long before we arrive at Daegu.. Isn't that your mother's hometown?"

"Yes, it is. I was there a few weeks ago with Sulli. I can't believe I'll be back so soon."

"You haven't answered my underlying question. What's up? Why are you so quiet?"

I shook my head. "It's nothing."

"Come on, Key. You're usually the talkative one during trips. I know something is bothering you.."

"I'm just scared, hyung. I am scared for you guys. I practically dragged all of you into this. It frustrates me a bit that I can't even do anything by myself. I really had to seek help just so I can rescue Eunji. But not only that. I am scared for Eunji's security. It's been bothering me whether or not they've done anything to her. Lastly, Amber. I still keep dreaming of losing he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter