Chapter 14- Burning and Burnt Down Bridges

Missing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seeing her cry would always pain me. Crying in general would but she was dear to me. She was someone close to me. I treasured her very much and laying witness to the sight and the circumstances is paining me. I don't want to see her hurt. She was more of an extension of the family I wished I had. Being younger than me, I want to protect her. I learned of her struggles and knowing for a fact that she has to deal with another one, it's difficult. 

I received a phone call last night. I wasn't even able to gather my thoughts properly last night after cooling things off with Jonghyun. It was late. I was disoriented, confused, angry, frustrated and hurt all at the same time and then I receive a call from Krystal. A rather hysterical call coming from her and then she tells me that her mother has passed away while her father is in a permanent coma, with only a 20% or less of even recovering. I almost fell on my knees when I heard that. I immediately ran to her side at the hospital while Key came along with me. We arrived a little past midnight and she was near the door, crying. Her eyes giving it away since they were really swollen. She looked to my direction and cried even more as she shouted out my name. 

"Amber, why? Why did this have to happen?? What did my parents do?"

"Soojung-ah, stop crying.. I am here. You are not alone.. Shhh.."

Krystal didn't have a very nice relationship with her parents but what child would want to lose their parents like that? She hated how they were but she never hated her parents. She loved them. All she sought was understanding and for them to stop treating as a replica of her lost sister. I left her alone with Key for a while to get us some drinks. Things had been going crazy. I don't know if I can still handle this calmly.

-------------

It had been two weeks since that happened. Jonghyun and I still aren't talking. It still bothers me but I have learned to just not think about it for now. I can manage but I think I'm not helping myself in any way though. I promised myself I'll confront myself as to what really is going on but here I am, running away from it. I know I'll have to face him eventually. On the other hand, Krystal has decided to officially drop out of school. Her dad is in no good condition. Nobody would be managing their business in managing different shops that they are affliated with Minho's company. She also has to take care of her dad. 

"Amber.."

"Donghae?"

"It's been some time since Soojung came around campus. Is it true that she has dropped out of university?"

"Yeah.. It is really unfortunate but she has family affairs she need to take care of and well, it would be best if she drops out so that she focus on the things that needs to be done. Though, it does sadden me to have not her around. She was the closest friend I had here in school. I am friends with her friends but it still feels different.."

"True. Hey, I heard from Professor Song you have a scholarship under the Choi Group of Companies? Is this true?"

"Uhuh. They give stipends generously and they pay for my tuition in full so I have no complains. All I really have to do is time in for work when they need me and they tag me along the different departments so that I would have knowledge of the company dynamics besides than actual designing. It helps.."

He just gave out a chuckle and placed his hand on my head. "You sure are talkative today? You in love or something?"

"Yah! What are you talking about? Just because I am in the mood to talk, I'm already in love? Ohh, give me a break Donghae.. Go! You still have a lesson, right?"

He then ruffled my hair and gave out a melancholic sigh. "Just be careful.. And whatever happens, just--try to remember, okay?" And he went off. I smiled. Donghae has been more of an oppa figure to me instead of just a professor. I only came to realize he was just several years older and he isn't that old. He hated being called Sir. It makes him feel old. I am more than lucky that the other students don't really question my closeness to him. I wish they won't. He's really nice. I can to talk to him sometimes about subtle things and he can give meaningful advice.

On the other hand, Key and I.. I can't define it. I know we are friends but after Sulli left, he has become really quiet. I've been managing the bar and the customers while he plays. What saddens me is that his sadness is reflected in the way that he plays. The pieces he always play are always melancholic and sound hurt. I can feel it, which is sad. I miss his playing and how it would soothe not only me but the customers as well.

"I'm home.."

"Hey.. I'm cooking waffles for snack. You want a portion?"

"Yes, please."

And I know this may be weird but I loved seeing him cook. He has a charm behind the stove. It was his station. I am not really good at cooking. I always end up messing up and him cleaning up the mess I did. He is always dependable. Sulli is right when she said he is responsible. He handed my waffle with strawberry jam spread on top.

"Stop staring at me so lovingly like that.. Don't stop and I'll kiss you.."

"Yah! I am not staring at you.. Don't assume things like that.." I said as I covered my face. God, why did he have to say that?! Later on, a cellphone rang. I checked mine only to see him texting. "Who are you texting?"

"Krystal.."

"Soojung? Woah.. Since when are you two in a texting scheme?"

"She punched in her number in my phone and recorded it and said I should reply when she calls or texts. She seems as if she needs a friend to talk to. She was also asking where you were and asked me to say hi to you."

"She could just text me directly. Tell her that.."

"Ooh. I hear a tone."

 I smothered his face. "Ohh stop it! You're assuming too much today Key.." He only gave out a small laugh. I know us two, living under the same roof with just the two of us would be weird in the view of others but I don't mind anything at all. Key doesn't seem the type to do funny things to a woman. We spent the rest of the late afternoon doing our respective businesses. I did some plates I needed for school while he remained locked in his room.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter