Chapter 40- Patching Things Up

Missing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I dived in without even knowing what lurks underneath the waters. It was conscious choice on my part. I always love a challenge. It gives me an adrenaline rush I can't explain. The thrill makes me crave for it in a weird way. What he told me came as a surprise. It wasn't so much because I didn't expect it but because I never imagined in the first place that it would be the reason behind his life choices. I've always wondered why they opted to move from place to place. It baffled me why they have to do it. I've always thought that opportunities may come and go but a drastic decision to move out and move is a little exaggerated. Then again, I've never been in their shoes. Who am I to judge their choices?

I don't know what it was but it seems a weight has been lifted off in the house. Jinri and I haven't really talked about since we got home but she' been smiling a lot. Her precious smile which always lights up my saddest of days. It's cheesy but that's just me. I have said it time and again that being with her would be by ultimate happiness. The moment we arrived she's just been playing with our dog, laughing endlessly like a little kid.

"Oppa."
"Yeah?"
"Is there something you pictured to happen but didn't happen at all?"
"Well, when I was a kid, I've always pictured we'll be together always. In a sense it didn't happen when I was growing up but here I am with you. I am not sure if I can still say it's not happening. Why? How about you?"
"Of course, there is."
"What is it?"
"A child."
"A child?"
"I never got the chance to experience the love and care of my real mother. She left early on so I was left in the care of Key oppa's mom. She was not my real mom but she treated me as her own that is why I loved her so much. I cried bucketloads when she passed away. Let alone, appa left oppa and I. In a way, I had a dysfunctional family. It was never complete. When I married you, I always visioned that we will have lots of kids. I've never said it to you before but I've always wanted children. I want to care for them and be there for them. I want them to have a complete family with tender love and care--something I didn't get to experience."
"Jinri--"
"If I didn't get kidnapped and almost killed by that Jaejoong guy, everything would be a lot easier. It , you know? I wish for something yet I am not doing anything to actually get it."
"You don't have to rush. We've got all the time in the world to work on having a baby, on starting a family."
She looked at me. It was a rather hurting look. I didn't get what she was trying to imply. "I am trying to stay positive but with the circumstances we are under in. I am just scared that the time we have left is running out fast."
I hugged her to give her comfort. I too am scared. I don't know what the future holds  but I am sure that I will do everything within my power so that my vision of the future with Jinri and I, happily together will come to reality. 

---------------

He looked the exact way I imagined him to be. Tall, pale skinned, ruffled hair and strangely thin. He was carrying three bags worthy of someone who left home. He just knocked on my door and I opened it. I am not that small but he definitely towered over me. He came in without talking. He just bowed and looked at the couch where Jonghyun hyung was sleeping. He looked over at my dining table and saw the computer Jonghyun hyung set-up. He pointed at it and I just nodded unsure on what he was talking about. He placed one of his black bag and opened it. Great. Another computer! What was I thinking? Of course. He's a computer geek. He needs his computer. In constrast to the size of Jonghyun hyung's equipment, his were a lot less bulky but a lot more shiny. His gear looks more expensive if you ask me. Less wires, more lights. That's what it looked like.

"Would you mind if I setup here?" he asked in his deep, scrunchy voice.
"No. Go ahead." I replied.
In a way, I did mind. Literally, my entire dining area turned into a hacker's dream hub. Two high-tech configured computers were occupying it with no space left for anyone to even have a proper meal. I tried waking Jonghyun hyung up to talk to his friend over here but it's no use. He's in a deep sleep after depriving himself of it for almost two days.
"Sorry but Jonghyun hyung over here won't seem to wake up. He's been awake for almost two days so.."
"It's all good."

It's quite late in the morning. It was already past ten and everyone is still asleep. I wasn't able to check what time it was when she fell asleep but she cried in my arms until she drifted off. I tucked her under my bed sheets and watch her breathe as she slept. She looked at peace that nobody would dare wake her up. I checked up on her by 9:30am and she was still asleep. So basically, I am the only one awake. It's getting awkward with this Joonyoung guy.
"Want some coffee?"
"No, thank you."

I ended up making a cup of coffee for myself. I am a little worried on how Woohyun and Hyorin will react to this since they'll be coming over at lunch but having these two guys over at my place is the more logical option instead of having them hitch over at Jonghyun hyung's place or at another apartment. Just then, I heard a clicking sound and I saw Amber stepping out of my room. Her hair sstill messed up and her clothes all scrunched up. She was squinting her eyes as she was adjusting to the light. I looked at her and she looked back. She pointed at Jonghyun while I only shrugged my shoulders. She let out this cute little smile with her lips.
She mouthed "Good morning" and walked back inside.
"Your sister?"
"Huh?"
"That girl that just went out of the room. Is she your sister? She looks nothing like you."
"No. She's not my sister but I do have one. She's--uhh.She's a friend. A close friend."
Joonyoung only nodded not giving an idea whether or not he believed what I said or it's a response of "Okay, I understand. I won't ask anymore" thing. The guy confuses me a lot despite him not talking. I prepared a little breakfast. There was bread in the pantry. I toasted them in my oven toaster while I fried three beaten eggs. All that while, I can hear the faint sound of the shower that was coming from my bathroom. I was sure it was Amber taking a bath. I finished cooking and offered some to Joonyoung. Again, he refused as he focused in setting up his fancy computer. All I saw were random texts which I have no idea what those were about.
"You cooked breakfast?" It was Amber who was busy drying her hair.
"Yeah. Grab a plate over there at the top left drawer. The spoons and forks are at the drawer beside it. I toasted bread. Fix yourself some of the egg."
"All right. Thanks."
I looked over at Amber from the edge of my vision and she did get a big portion if I can say. She also looked over at Joonyoung as if questioning with her eyes who the guy was and what was he doing there. "Amber, this is Joonyoung. He's a friend of Jonghyun. He'll help us in locating Eunji."
He waved a hello to Amber and went back to his computer. "Won't Jonghyun wake up? Because honestly it is quite awkward to be sitting here not really knowing what I am supposed to do."
"Well, you see.."
He then stood in all his tall glory and went over to the couch where Jonghyun hyung was sleeping. He started to push my cousin to the edge of the couch until the latter finally fell face first on the floor. Amber and I can't help stifle a laugh with what happened. Jonghyun hyung immediately woke up looking all groggy and angry checking around him to see what happened.

"Wake up, you fool. You called me over and you didn't even greet me. Get your lazy up from the couch. I don't care if you haven't slept! If I knew this was going to happen I wouldn't have come."
"Joonyoung? Is that you? What the hell?"

Jonghyun stood up and gave Joonyoung a slight punch to the arm. He doesn't have too many peers. He was relatively close with some of their other relatives but upon deciding to separate himself from the family and cutting all ties with them, he lost the circle of close friends. Being in the playing field was no different. There were many of them that were after the same goal. Making friends wasn't such an easy thing to do. You can't trust anyone.

"Care to share how you two became close?" I asked.
"I told you we're not friends."
"He promised money for helping him. It's not much but I haven't caught anyone for long. Income hasn't been stable lately. The police are also tailing me that's why I had to fly to the Philippines just recently to make them lose track."
"It's a win-win situation. I give him money and in turn he offers his expertise in helping us locating Eunji."

I wasn't all too surprised with the way they answered. Jonghyun hyung already offered a short explanation before on how they operate. He didn't go into too much detail but he gave an idea. In a way, what he was doing was no different to our families. It involves money. Money makes their worlds go round. Though bountry hunters don't necessarily kill their targets unlike assassins. Jonghyun hyung took a quick shower and joined Joonyoung on the dining table to give him the lowdown of the situation. Amber on the other hand was just at the couch looking at what the two guys were doing. She was dressed in basketball shorts, a shirt with a wifebeater underneath and her hair as a mess above her head. I went over to her and sat at the chair opposite her.

"I haven't seen him like this before."
"Who?"
"Jonghyun. Even back then, I never saw him in action like this. He didn't tell me what he was doing. I always wondered to myself where he gets all his money from and it turns out this is what he does. I didn't have a clue."
"Did you overhear our conversation yesterday? When Minho came over?"
She nodded. "Everything."
"Are you scared?"
"No. Death is the only thing left that I fear. I chose to die before but overcoming it had a negative effect on me. But nonetheless, dangerous things such as these no longer scare me."
"You do know that you are in danger? They are involving you."
"I know."
"And you do know that you're going to meet my father eventually."

She looked outside the window and only nodded. She didn't reply an "I know" or even a simple "Yeah.". She just nodded. I reached over and rested on the coffee table as I pinched her cheeks. She just looked at me. "Wa a yu doo ing?"
I continued to pinch her cheeks. "Enough with the revenge. Enough with the hating, okay? Is making me cry not enough?"
She slapped my hand off of her cheeks. "I get it, okay. You don't have to rub it in my face anymore. Was last night not enough for me to show how guilty I am for doing that to you?"
I shook my head. "No." She gaped open. "Kim Kibum!" I stuck my tongue out to her.
"By the way, my friends are coming over in a few hours. One of the them is a huge fan of you and your brother's fashion line. It's your choice to hide in my room but I doubt that they will not enter my room. Heck, we might end up there anyway since the dining area is occupied. Woohyun would usually hang around my keyboard to spike up some notes and see how it would work with Hyorin's voice. They'll see you anyway. If you want to dress up more nicely, suit yourself."
"All right. Thanks for the heads up."

I then went over to the dining area. They were still at it.
"You two heard what I just said right?" Both of them nodded.
"We'll be staying at the coffee table so we wouldn't bother what you guys are doing over here but so far, what's the news?"
"Joonyoung is trying to pinpoint the different CCTV cameras where the car could've passed through. I have a hunch that they have taken Eunji either at Jindo or Ulsan."
"Those two cities are at opposites. Jindo in the west, Ulsan at the East. Why those two?"
"The main family orginated at Ulsan but based on my research, several of the family members are currently living in Jindo since they can easily keep off the radar of the police and such. He's trying to locate the different routes and access the cameras. Once we take hold of the footage, to be honest, I don't know what he'll do next. It's his thing, remember?"
"Yeah. I get you."
"Also, just make sure that those two friends of yours will be quiet or at least will keep their voices down. Especially that girl."
"Hyorin?"
"Yeah. Her. Her voice gets pretty loud when she's overly excited. It irks me."
"All right. Copy that."

A little past noon, Hyorin and Woohyun arrived with black bean noodle packs. I asked them to bring food good for six people. They didn't really inquire why I asked for such a quantity which makes it less complicated. I saw the look on their faces when they saw the computers on my dining table. They politely bowed while the computer geeks didn't really notice their presence but Jonghyun hyung did give a slight wave. Amber changed her clothes and dressed a little less homey. She wore a plain black shirt and changed into denim pants. 
I opted to lead them into my room. They really didn't notice Amber at first, thinking that maybe they just considered her as another friend and one of the guys. Her shirt wasn't really tight and can't really give away that she was a girl. Her legs were pretty slender which was a give away for me but then again, that's just me.
"No wonder you asked us to bring food worth of six people. You could've told us that you had other people with you. I could've arranged a reservation at a nearby cafe."
"I would prefer it if we have the meeting here."
Woohyun left to get some glasses at my cupboard. He left the door slightly open which gave a clear view of the living room. Amber was sitting on the left edge of the sofa as she watched TV. Hyorin looked out.
"Ooh. I didn't notice you had another friend over."
She just stared at Amber who looked back at her. The latter waved and Hyorin waved back. Hyorin squinted her already teeny-weeny eyes. "Oh my God!"
I choked on a giggle. She looked back at me. "Is that? But ha--- You're joking?"
"How can I be joking? She's there. You could see she's there.."
Hyorin screamed which resonated inside my entire apartment. I can feel Jonghyun hyung cringing. I can feel him punching me for not living up to his reminder. But I would be lying if I didn't find Hyorin's fangirling amusing. She literally ran around my room screaming like any fangirl would. I looked over a Amber and I can see her laughing and hiding behind her hands. She was definitely embarrassed of what was going on. Woohyun ran to the room and asked what was going on. I explained to him what was going on and he too was surprised to see Amber behind him.

"Ohh my gosh, Key! You could've told me that you knew Hana! That way I could've prepared myself. Seriously?! Omo. Wait, how did you know her?"
"Well, it's quite a long story."
"Ahh. I don't care! Do you have paper? It's the perfect moment for me to get an autograph."

"Yah! What is this ruckus all about? Kibum-ah! I told you not to cause any noise! And y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter