Chapter 35- Suspicions and Reasons

Missing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey..Hey! Ahjussi. Wake up. Wake up, will you? Ahjussi, please. Don't be a bother and go out. Other customers will be heading in a few minutes and I don't want them seeing you here. Aish. You were lucky that I let you sleep here. Gosh, don't you have a life and actually do something? Go. Go before I kick you out."

"Eyy. This kid. Can't you give me a break? Fine fine. I'll go out."

"Don't come here tonight, will ya! My store is going broke because of all the soju bottles you drink yet you don't pay. Find another store to leech off of!"

He pretended to throw a rock towards the young lady who was managing the store causing her to flee back inside.
"Your ramen wasn't even that good!" He was at it again. He's been over this phase before. He has gotten over it and did quite well. But a single memory brought it all back to him. It reminded how messed up his life has been and how broken it really was.

Freedom. It's the only thing he seeks.

---------------------------------------------

"Hana-yah.."

"Well well, you finally called me by that name. Did something happen for the sudden change of heart in addressing me. You'll love to call me by my other name and take pleasure in seeing my irritated face. And here you are calling me as Hana? Don't get me wrong, oppa. I like that you finally called me that name but what gives? I'm just quite taken aback by it."

"I kind of figured it's enough with the games in teasing you like that. Nothing good will come out of it anyway. Besides, I think you're already tolerating me for teasing you. I might still make fun of you yet you're no longer irritated. It's a loss on my part and a gain on yours. I don't want that to happen. How have you been?"

"Not much. How was your trip to Japan? Did the audience receive our line well? How was the fashion show?"

"Easy with the questions there. It was good. I was thankful that a lot of people came to see the fashion show. We had to open an additional one hundered seats to accomodate the crowd. They loved our line especially most of your designs. Now, before that gets to your head, they did say that some of the color combinations could've been better. But nonetheless, we found an interested investor in Japan. Noboyuki Souma? If I remember correctly? He's affiliated with the Jungs. Krystal referred us to him."

"Well, that's nice. Hey--speaking of Krystal. Are you dating her?"

"We're blunt today, eh? Dating? Would it bother you if I did?"

"To be honest, no. It's a little weird but go ahead. If you start dating her, it will be much easier to get her off of Key's back."

"Woah, woah. Are you jealous of her towards Key? Amber--"

"I'm not jealous, oppa! You know what I intend to do right? It just makes things a lot easier for me if Krystal is not around him. Get my point?"

"Get your act together, Amber. The last thing I want to happen to you is have him find out of what you're planning. Also, I am going to meet the Chois today. Their son is your friend right?"

"Choi? Minho?"

"Yeah. I remember that's his name. I know the Jungs are our marketing team but the Chois want to invest and put in stocks into our fashion line. It can be quite good if you ask me. The owner, Mr. Choi called me when I was in Japan and said that he wanted to talk to me privately. I said, he should just go straight to the point and tell me what he wants. And then he told me his plans. You could come with me if you like."

"Well then, okay. I will prepare in a bit. Wait for me before you head out, okay?"

And she did.

I am sure Amber knows what she is doing. Her mind is set straight in achieving it. Ever since I found her that day when the accident happened and asked her to immediately call any relatives, guardians or close family she refused to do so. It baffled me. She was on the brink of death but she chose not to tell anyone? I wondered what was going inside her head. What's worse was she actually blamed me for helping her get out of the wreck. She said straight to my face that she just wanted to die right then and there. She was serious about it. Her eyes reflected her words but I can't bring myself to let her die just like that. I tended to her and she shared her story. I helped her. I proposed for us to pose as brother and sister and we've come far from where we begun four years back. But somehow I am fearing that despite her will to pursue what she's planning, her heart is telling her otherwise. 

"Sorry it took me some time to change. I had to take a quick bath before we go. I don't want to look too wasted when we meet them and possibly blow the deal."
"You're fine. Come on, let's go."

And we took a drive from our simple abode down to the company. Amber mentioned to me before that she worked over at the Chois so she knows the turns, lefts and rights of the building. Mr. Choi said a random room name and I am sure she would know where it is. We could spare a few minutes in traffic and still make it on time.  "Oppa. Why did you agree to help me?"
"After all these years, you're going to ask me that? Why suddenly bring it up?"
"Nothing. I just thought of it."
"Why would I not help you? You're practically my little sister even when I was teaching back at the university. It's all good. Should there be a deep rooted reason for me to help someone close to me? You do know I have no family left except for a few distant relatives abroad. I never got in contact with them. You're my only family, Amber."
"Calling me again as that."
"Oh whatever.  Keep your composure. We're here."

I dropped Amber off of the entrance and asked her to wait for me until I get to park our car. Once inside, we took the elevator and she pressed the 22nd floor. We got off, she turned left and then right and then another right and we stumbled upon a room. "Go on, knock."
I did as she said and someone gave the signal that we can go inside. "Donghae it is? Please come it."
"Ahh, yeah. Mr. Choi, this is my sister, Hana. She helps me out in designing."
"I see. Please.. Take a seat."
"Thank you for inviting us and for taking interest."
"It's nothing. It makes me happy to be able to help rising designers. My wife is not here in the country but if she was she would love to meet the two of you. She always admires young designers that try their best. Anyway, enough with the chitchat. Hana-ssi, I've already talked to your brother here and I have expressed my interest in investing in your business by being a stock-holder."
"We appreciate to hear that Mr. Choi but you see my brother and I invested our lives into this business. Please don't get me wrong. But of course, I just want to make sure why you would really want to invest in us. I don't want for you to invest and then suddenly bail out rendering us hopeless. I wouldn't want that."

"Yes, I understand your concern. Let's just say that your designs. They have touched me in a certain way."
"How so?" I asked.
"You see, I've been in this business far too long. I have witnessed a lot of ups and downs in the fashion industry and I do know its flaws and strengths. I have met a lot of people. Some became my friends others became my enemies, if I could say that. Others, became practically like family to me and somehow your designs reminded me of that feeling. It was quite a long time ago. I managed a duo that was working on a fashion line for women. It just so happens that your designs reminded me of theirs. It's not that I am saying you're copying them. No, it's definitely not that. But the feeling I get, the vibe I get from your creations are so similar to them. It is just unfortunate that I haven't heard from them in a long time."

"We're sorry."
"No. You shouldn't. Anyway, I am not rushing you two into this. Please. Take the time to think about it and just give me a call. Of course, it would make me really happy if you two considering in agreeing with my offer."
 We left after a few conversations with him asking us how the two of us started out the business and all that. I didn't want to indulge too much details. Just enough to keep him curious.
 

"Looks like your friend wants to take some time with you."
Amber turned and saw that Minho was waiting just outside the door
"Oppa.."
"No. It's okay. I have some plans today anyway. Just don't go home too late, will you?
"All right."

-----------------------

I decided for us to conduct it under the influence of caffeine. Alcohol was the best option but not really ideal for me to drink while I am still at the office. Besides, getting a girl drunk other than my wife inside my very own office might spark some unwanted rumors. I don't want that to happen. It took me an ample amount of courage to drag her away from her brother and talk to her.

"Is there anything you wish to talk about?" She asked.
"No. Well, I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for helping us out when we had some problems with my wife."
"Sulli-ssi? It's all good. How is she anyway?"
"She's faring quite nicely. We sought medical help and the doctors said that she is recovering quite fast. Faster than the expected three months of coping with what happened. She still has nightmares but they've been happening less frequently."
"That's nice to hear."
"Though to be honest. It still baffles me."
"What? What baffles you?"
 I stood and towered over her. "You helped her without any hesitation. You quickly agreed to the idea. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what you did. You contributed to her recovery but I just can't fit it into the puzzl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter