The Caller

Top Secret

 

"Why do we need to live in one roof?" whined Jong Kook. "We'll do this in the future, anyway." Ji Hyo answered his question with a smile. Since the day he saw Ji Hyo, her smile never ceases. "Don't you have a sense of delicacy?" Jong Kook asked her. "I do. But, I'll be married to you, so I don't mind." she said. "Aren't you against this kind of marriage?" asked he. She shook her head. "It was actually me who proposed to my parents about us getting married." said she. "You what?" he asked with a loud voice. Ji Hyo didn't seem to be startled with his voice, and it made him angrier. "You are such a selfish woman." he shouted at her. Ji Hyo, who was not startled earlier, seemed to be surprised at him now. But to his dismay, Ji Hyo smiled at him and said, "I understand why you are like that. In the future, I know, you'll thank me for this." said she. He smirked at her. "In your dreams." he blurted. Ji Hyo smiled back at him again. "In my dreams? Oh! I'll see you there, Jong Kook Oppa." said she.
 
He left the room with such anger. He couldn't believe he'll be married to someone he doesn't even like at all. His phone rings, and he was curious on who the caller is. He answered it and to his surprise, it was Ji Hyo. "Jong Kook Oppa, please stay in the room. I'll just stay outside the room. You can't sleep comfortably there." said the woman on the other line. He ended the call without saying anything. He doesn't know why the woman dared to asked her parents to marry her off with him, and why his parents had agreed right away. He slept on the sofa that night. When he woke up in the morning, he felt something warm. He sees a comforter hugging his body. To his surprise, sleeping beside him is the unbelievable woman. Her head is on the table while her hand is on his stomach. 
 
"You're awake." said Ji Hyo to her fiance. Jong Kook didn't mind her. He stood up right away without saying anything. "Which food would you like to eat?" asked Ji Hyo. "Is there a food that you don't like to eat?" Jong Kook answered her with a question. "Jajangmyun." she responded quickly. "Then let me eat jajangmyun." he answered. She smiled at Jong Kook's answer. "All right. I'll cook jajangmyun for you." she said without sadness on her face. After cooking the black noodles, Ji Hyo put it on the plate and gave it to Jong Kook. "Here, eat some." she said. Jong Kook looked at the food that she cooked and she was so touched by it. She feels so happy now that Jong Kook takes time to mind the food. "Do you call that a food?" Jong Kook asked pertaining to the jajangmyun. "What's wrong with it?" she asked in confusion. "You made it." Jong Kook said before he went out and slammed the door. She smiled at the back view of Jong Kook. 'You'll like me soon.' she thought.
 
The phone rang, and Jong Kook was quick to answer it. He was disappointed when he heard who the person on the other line is. It was their parents. 'How could they be together now?' he asked himself wondering how his dad and her dad managed to see each other. "Everything is okay here, Dad." said he while looking mad at Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo, on the other hand, talked to her dad with happy thoughts. 'Are you crazy? How could you still smile when I don't even want to be with you?' he asked himself while she was busy talking to her dad. Ji Hyo pressed the loud speaker as she was ordered. "The wedding of you two will be soon." said Mr. Song. His eyes grew bigger when he heard what the older man said on the line. He made a gesture to Ji Hyo asking her to disagree, but she just smiled at him as she uttered the words, "We're so excited about it, Dad."
 
"Are you crazy?" Jong Kook asked angrily when the conversation was finished. "I am." Ji Hyo answered him. "I think you are really out of your mind." Jong Kook said. "That means, I'm already on your mind?" Ji Hyo answered back. "Where the hell would you like to go? The heaven or the hell?" shouted Jong Kook. "I just want to go in your heart." she said. "What the heck! What am I supposed to do with you?" Jong Kook angrily asked again. "Just let me love you." she said. "I just want to love you." she continued. "Then do it without being married with me." he shouted. "I can't love someone who is not mine." she said seriously. "Ya! I think you have forgotten. I am not yours. And I will never be yours." Jong Kook gritted his teeth when he said the words and left the room with a mad face. She sat down on the sofa near the telephone. 'We'll be okay, Mom and Dad.' Ji Hyo thought to herself while looking at the phone where she talked with her parents. 'I'll make him love me back, no matter what it takes, no matter how long it takes.' Ji Hyo said to herself before she rested her watery eyes. 
 
Ji Hyo was awaken because of the loud ring of the phone. She looked at the wall clock and she saw that it is already four o' clock in the afternoon. She wiped thinking that she drooled. She quickly picked up and phone and greeted the person on the other line. "Hello!" she said with a lively voice. There was silence on the other line at first. "Hello?" she greeted in an asking manner. "Is Kim Jong Kook there?" a woman on the other line asked. She felt that her heart had stopped beating when she heard the familiar voice. She knew the woman on the other line. A week before they went to Boston, she saw her talking with Jong Kook backstage. She couldn't be wrong. She knows this woman.
 
"He is outside. Shall I call him for you?" she asked. "If it's okay." the woman with a sweet voice answered her question. "Please wait for a while." she said. She placed the phone softly and went out of the room. She was looking for Jong Kook, and she saw him sitting on a bench on the veranda. "Are you okay?" she asked, but Jong Kook just stared at her and turned his stare off her. "Have you had lunch?" she asked him once again, but silence was the only one responding to her. "I'll buy some food in the grocery." she said to the man who is not minding her words. "By the way, someone is on the line waiting for you." she said in a broken sentence. Jong Kook looked at her anticipating the name of the caller. "Lee Bo Young-ssi---" her sentence wasn't even finished, but Jong Kook had jumped from the bench and quickly ran towards the sofa where the phone is located. "is calling for you." she finished her sentence in the air.
 
Ji Hyo could see Jong Kook smiling widely while he was talking over the phone. Unknown to the singer, she has been so envious of his relationship with the actress Lee Bo Young. Bo Young is so far, but they could talk warmly. For her, although she is near Jong Kook, he is so distant. She remembered a famous quote with the line: 'You're so near, but you're so far.' 'Are we the epitome of that quote?' she asked herself. She didn't mind standing for hours watching the giddy Jong Kook. All that she cares is that she could see how happy Jong Kook is, even if she is not the reason. Jong Kook saw her looking at him, and his face went back to being serious. She bowed towards the man that she really loves. She lifted up her head and saw Jong Kook's face smiling again. 'When will it be me?' she asked Jong Kook in silence.