The Father

Top Secret

 

A loud ring of the bell brought him back to reality. Someone from the outside rang the bell. He knew it is one of the staffs of Running Man. He tried to stand up, but he isn't fully awake yet. He opened the door and was surprised to see the PD looking after him. "What's the matter, PD-nim?" he asked. "We'll film you now." the PD said to the singer. "Now?" asked Jong Kook. "Yes, now. With that kind of face of yours." said the PD. He laughed on how honest their PD is. "Okay, okay." he said in agreement. "Did Ji Hyo shoot this as well?" he asked trying to know the other party's condition. "Ms. Song Ji Hyo-ssi went back to Seoul earlier." the PD said. "What did you say?" Jong Kook asked for clarification. 
 
"Ms. Song Ji Hyo-ssi needed to go back to Seoul because her father was sent to the hospital." the PD said. "So, Kim Jong Kook-ssi, you'll be filmed alone for the remaining four days." the PD told him. "What?" he asked in surprise. "But I need to go back to Seoul, too." he said. "What for?" asked the PD. "Ji Hyo's father is sick." he said. "We know. That's why Ji Hyo-ssi was allowed to go back, but for you, there's no reason for you to come back there. Unless you are Ji Hyo's fiance." the PD answered him directly. 'I was.' he answered in thoughts. He let the filming start and he acted his own way, but his mind has been so absent. A lot of NGs were taken, but he didn't mind at all. Luckily, the staffs were in a good mood, and didn't mind his mistakes.
 
The filming in USA was done, and all of them could now go back to Seoul. Jong Kook had asked to be back using his private plane. It's unusual for him to brag his wealth, but the members were so amazed on how rich Jong Kook's family is. He went to visit Ji Hyo's father in the hospital right away. He saw Ji Hyo outside the hospital room, and he wanted to console her. But when he was about to go near her, someone from behind had hugged 'his' woman. He controlled himself and just walked away. He was about to go to the exit when he saw a familiar figure coming towards Ji Hyo's father's room. "Dad!" he called, but his father didn't hear him. He hid himself somewhere, so his Dad won't see him. He saw his dad made its way towards his ex-woman and her fiance.
 
"Ji Hyo-ssi.." Mr. Kim greeted the woman. "Hello, Mr. Kim." greeted by the woman. The man beside the woman also bowed back. "Is he your fiance?" the curious old Mr. Kim asked. "Yes, he is." answered Ji Hyo. The old man gazed at the tall man beside her. "Congratulations!" said Mr. Kim. "Thank you." said the two. "How's your Dad?" Mr. Kim asked. "He's still unconscious." Ji Hyo answered. "I wish he'll get better soon. Anyway, I just came here to wish him good health. Please let him know I visited him while he was sleeping. I've got to go." said Mr. Kim to the woman. Mr. Kim looked at the fiance of Ji Hyo. "You're lucky to have Ji Hyo-ssi as your woman. Don't let her go like what my son did." he said to Dong Wook as he tapped his shoulder. Dong Wook bowed at Jong Kook's father. 
 
Jong Kook was about to go out of the hospital, but a familiar man passed by. He looked at the man who is now walking ahead of him. It was Lee Dong Wook. He looked back at where Ji Hyo is, and he saw her sitting on the chairs outside the patient's room. He decided to accompany the woman who looks so forlorn outside her father's room. He saw a vending machine and he bought something for Ji Hyo to drink. Ji Hyo looked at him with teary eyes. "Here." he offered the cup of coffee to the woman who is about to cry in front of him. Ji Hyo shook her head. "I already had a coffee earlier. Thank you." she said and neglected Jong Kook's offer. Jong Kook bit his lower lip because of embarrassment. Good thing, Ji Hyo is facing the other way. "How's your Dad?" Jong Kook asked. "Not good. He's still unconscious." Ji Hyo answered him softly. He noticed Ji Hyo looked up and he knows she's trying to control her tears from falling down.
 
He sat down on the empty chair beside the woman. "You can cry on my shoulder." he said offering his broad shoulder to the woman who always runs on his mind. Ji Hyo looked at his muscled shoulder and looked at his face. "I'm not gonna cry." Ji Hyo told him while looking at him intensely. "And I will never ever cry with you." continued Ji Hyo. "Especially in front of you, or beside you. Not with you." finished Ji Hyo. He felt his heart was crushed into a million pieces when he heard what Ji Hyo told him. "Your father came here earlier." Ji Hyo told him. "Did you come with him?" she asked. "No, I didn't." he said still feeling the hurt from Ji Hyo's words earlier. "Do you know that your Dad and my Dad are best of friends?" Ji Hyo asked him. He was surprised to hear the question. 
 
"I bet you don't." Ji Hyo concluded when he couldn't react. "They have been so close ever since they were born. They shared almost everything, except your mom and my mom." Ji Hyo said as she laughed a little. "My Dad was  very happy when I told him that I'll get married to you. I could see how happy he was that day. It made me feel very happy that he was very happy that day. That time, he told me, I'll be lucky to have you as my husband because he knows your father very well. He said it is possible that it is like father like son." Ji Hyo is not stopping on her sentences. "When he told us to take our time in Boston, he was hoping that you'll learn to love me in return. Yes, he was so strict to me because I am their only daughter, but he pampers me with too much love and understanding. Tell me, what will I do if I lose my father now, Jong Kook-ssi?" Ji Hyo asked him, but before he could respond, the woman beside him, had fainted. 
 
Jong Kook is looking at the sleeping Ji Hyo on the bed. The doctor said Ji Hyo had fainted due to stress and fatigue. The doctor also said that there's no need to worry, but let Ji Hyo have a good rest. He brushed his fingers to the soft and fragrant hair of Ji Hyo. While brushing her hair, he was reminded of their memories from five years ago. He was reminded about the time that they took to get to know each other. Her parents offered them to go to Boston and get to know each other, so they could marry as a couple, and not as strangers. He smiled when he was reminded on how bubbly and lovely Ji Hyo was way back then. His smile disappeared when he was reminded of the things that had happened in the past will never have its place in the future.