Going Home

The Red Garden's Chronicle (hiatus)

-Toby pov-

 

I stared at my apartment’s front door. I just stood there and stare from which seconds which then turned into minutes. I don’t remember for how long I have been missing. I’m pretty sure Soohyun is damn worried about me and I’m sure he might blame Top for this.

 

I brought my hand to reach the doorknob but I can’t seem to bring myself to turn it. Unluckily, the handle turned and reveals my brother. He stood there and stared at me who was lowering my head, biting on my lips.

 

Without warning, he quickly reached for my arm and dragged me inside as he slammed the door shut with a loud bang. He dragged me to the living room and released his hold. And that’s was his queue to yell at me.

 

“WHERE THE ING HELL HAS YOU BEEN? DO YOU KNOW THAT I WAS LOOKING FOR YOU AND TOP LIKE A TOTAL MANIAC?” He started, “AND DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WORRIED TOP’S MOTHER IS? SHE WAS WORRIED LIKE HELL TILL SHE FALL SICK!”

 

I only listened to him without saying anything. Not even a word could be form by my lips. Heck I don’t even know what to say to him.

 

“ANSWER ME, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? DID HE BRING YOU SOMEWHERE?”

 

As usual, he would blame Top for everything that happened to me. I don’t understand why he always does that. I mean, I didn’t see any sign of hatred from him. He’s cool with Top and always had fun together.

 

“ANSWER ME TOBY!” Soohyun yelled on top of his lung.

 

I looked at him. His eyes were small and red with eyebags under it. His hair was a total mess. I wonder if he’s like this because of me…

 

Before my brother could opened his mouth to yell at me again, I step forward towards him and pulled him into a hug. His body felt warm… too warm… His breathing was uneven. If only I could just find the right words to say to you…

 

I could feel his arms making its way to my back. He hugged me back and let out a deep sighed.

 

“I’m sorry…” He uttered over and over again.

 

After I’ve succeeded in calming Soohyun’s down, I went to see Top. I’ve wanted to pay her mom a visit. Hope she’ll be okay after she sees him.

 

Upon reaching the small gates of their house, I heard cries… a woman cries…

 

Top’s mom…

 

I swung opened the gate and knocked gently on the door. They lived in a double-storey house. It’s a simple yet cozy house and kinda big for the two of them.

 

After a few knocks, the door finally opened. Top greeted me with a faint smile and wet eyes. I titled my head to the right and saw his mom wiping her tears off with her shirt. Top invited me in but I refuse. It’ll be better if we talk outside so that his mom won’t hear us.

 

“How’s your mom?” I asked.

 

He sighed, “She’s fine… a little fever… how’s Soohyun? I bet he’s blaming me again.”

 

“Yeah. I can’t seem to tell him what happened.”

 

“Me either.” He exhaled heavily.

 

And so our conversation stopped there. I went inside after that to see his mom for a while before I leave. She advised me not to wander around, mix with bad people, go somewhere without telling them and all. She also asked me to look out for Top since she found out that he’d involved in a fight these lately. After bidding them goodbye, I walked back home. I don’t feel like going anywhere. My body still hurts and sore.

 

“Anna!”

 

I slow down my pace and pulled to a stop upon hearing that name. I spun to my right and from afar, I saw Yuki with Anna at a small shop.

 

My friends… I wonder how they are…

 

No, what am I doing? I shouldn’t stand here and let them see me. I’m not ready yet to face them. I can’t even explain if they ask for it. I better get home now.

 

With that, I sprint and jogged home. I was exhausted. Daesung told me not to do anything tiring or extreme before I fully recovered. Ugh, I shouldn’t have run but I have no other choice. Forgive me guys. I’m not avoiding you; it’s just that I’m not ready to see you…

 

“How’s Mrs. Choi?” Soohyun asked as I closed the front door.

 

“Good.” I replied shortly.

 

I then settled on a couch. Never have I felt this kind of fatigue before. Oh, I wonder if my health condition is really that worse…

 

Soohyun came, sit next to me and gives me the concern stares. I just ignore it while flipping through some random channels.

 

“So… what happened?”

 

Huh, here he goes again. I thought he already dropped the subject.

 

“Please,” He said in a pleading tone, “Tell me.”

 

I closed my eyes, folding my arms; trying to think of the right words but sadly, I didn’t come up with anything to say.

 

“Toby…”

 

Oppa… why are you pushing me like this? Why?

 

I shrugged. He sighed in frustration and repeated the same question. This time, more firmly.

 

I took a deep breath and slowly got to explained what happened. I told him that it all started when Top was beaten up by some stranger. He called for help so I assist him. Unluckily, we were badly attacked and we almost got kill. The stranger left after that, probably thinking that we’re already dead. Anyway, before I lost consciousness, I saw a figure that helped us but not his face. I know it’s that Daesung guy cause the moment I woke up, I was at his house. Thankfully, he was the one who treated our wounds and helped us to recover. At first I thought that he’s a doctor but he turned out to be a kindergarten teacher.

 

Soohyun balled his fists while uttering random curses under his breath. He said he wanted to find that stranger who beats the hell out of us but I told him to let it go. Seoul is huge, he could be anywhere. He could even flee to somewhere else.

 

“.”

 

“Oppa… just forget it. We’re fine now aren’t we?”

 

He gave me a look, his irritated look. He sat up and went into the kitchen without saying another word.

 

And as for me, I went to my room to take a nice nap.

 

Hope we’ll recover soon enough…

 

-End-