Chapter 38: Baekhyun and Sehun

My Twelve Knights in Shining Armour

When your time with Luhan was over, the two of you returned to the room where the other 11 was waiting.   

“Baekhyun’s next.” D.O. announced and you glanced towards Baekhyun, who looked a bit nervous, which was unusual for him.

Luhan pulled you in for a last hug before letting you walk over to Baekhyun, who smiled shyly at you.
“Let’s go.” he said gently as he took your hand.

You followed him back to the room you had been in with Luhan. It wasn’t a soccer field under clear sky anymore, but back to a regular room.

“What do you want to do?” Baekhyun asked, not letting go of your hand as he turned towards you.

You shrugged. “I’m up for whatever you want to do.” you smiled at him.

“Really…?” Baekhyun smirked as he leaned his face closer to yours. At this, you simply slapped his arm and let go of his hand. “Don’t be ridiculous.” you muttered but Baekhyun just laughed. “Because 45 minutes would be more than enough…” you just glared at him in response which seemed to turn him serious.

“Sorry, I don’t want to waste this time with you.” he nodded, maybe mostly to himself as he took a hold of your hand again.

You both stood quiet for a while before Baekhyun spoke up again. “You know what I’ve always wanted to try?” he asked you. “No.” you shook your head. “Unless you mean…”

“No! No… That’s not what I meant this time.” Baekhyun chuckled. “I’ve wanted to try playing videogames ever since we came to earth but all we ever played in your apartment was Sing Star.” He frowned slightly. “Though I was awesome at that…” he brightened up visibly.

“So let’s play videogames then!” you exclaimed happily.

“Really? You want to do that?” Baekhyun asked.

“Of course! It’ll be fun.” You smiled and 2 seconds later, a small couch had appeared with a huge TV-screen in front of it.

“I have to warn you though.” You started as Baekhyun led you towards the couch and made sure his leg was touching yours as he sat down next to you. “I’m really awesome at videogames and you will lose.” you smiled.

And Baekhyun did really lose.

“Arrrggh! How can you be so good at this?!” the exclaimed as you managed to avoid the banana shell which caused Baekhyun to drive right in to it.   

You just laughed and focused on getting pass the car that was currently in first place so that you’d be the winner. After a close race towards the finish line, you were proud to be the winner and happily sat back and watched as Baekhyun unsuccessfully tried to not get in last.

“It’s okay, most people come in last when their new at this.” You assured him as he pouted with furrowed eyebrows after finally passing the finish line about 5 minutes after you.

“I don’t want to play this stupid game anymore.” he muttered as he childishly crossed his arms.

You smiled at him and realized this was a similar scene as the one you had experienced with Luhan except this time, you were the winner and not the one pouting over losing.   

“Don’t be sad Baekie…” you patted his head. “You can’t be good at everything.”

Suddenly Baekhyun brightened up. “True…” he smiled.

“So you don’t want to play anymore videogames?” you guessed, happy you so easily had been able to get his mood back up.

“Noo…” Baekhyun looked over at you. “How…Do you do that with your hair?” he asked, pointing at your hair that was braided and hanging over your left shoulder.

 “This?” you lifted the braid with two fingers.

“Yeah.” Baekhyun nodded. “Oh, well…” you started showing him on some of your hair and almost wanted to laugh at how amazed he looked.

“Here, let me try.” He exclaimed after a few minutes and jumped up to sit behind you on the back of the couch. You pulled the ribbon out of your hair and pulled your hand through it so that the braid would resolve and then let Baekhyun lose on it.

It was cute to hear him mumble to himself as he had to re-do the braid at least 3 times and you tried to hold in your laughter as well as a few cries of pain when he accidently pulled to harshly on some of your hair.

After 15 minutes or so, Baekhyun was finally done. “Voila!” he exclaimed cutely with a proud smile on his face as he admired his work. You on the other hand carefully pulled the braid over your shoulder to be able to see it and well… It was no piece of art. On the other hand it was quite…good… for someone’s first braid so you gave Baekhyun a slight applaud and he looked even prouder.

“I know I’m amazing.” He smiled smugly. “I hope you’re gonna keep your hair like that for the rest of the day.” He smiled.

You glanced at him, hoping he wasn’t being serious and at that moment, he cracked up and started laughing. “I’m just kidding! Gosh, you don’t have to look so horrified.” He pouted slightly as he started undoing the braid.

“I’m sorry!” you exclaimed.

“Ah, what’s there to apologize for…” Baekhyun muttered cutely as he got off the back of the couch. “Our time is almost up.” He mumbled as he looked at you.

“Ah… Already?” you asked even though you knew it was true.

“This… Isn’t going to be the last time I see you, right?” Baekhyun asked with one of his eyebrows raised insecurely which was so uncommon for him, to look so unsure of himself.

You shook your head as you got up from the couch as well to stand in front of him. “No way.” You promised.

“Even if you don’t choose me, we’ll still meet?” Baekhyun questioned.

You nodded again. “I assure you, even if you’d grow tired of me, I’d still bother you every now and then and make sure you never forget about me.” You smiled up at him even though he wasn’t that much taller than you.

“Good.” He answered back, with an equally warm smile.

-----

“Sehun’s up next.” Kyungsoo announced without even looking up from the schedule he was clutching so that no one would try and change their time.

You were starting to feel silly, handing in one of them and exchanging him for another.
Baekhyun gave you one last, assuring smile and it even managed to reach his eyes slightly.

Sehun came up to you instead. He looked quite determined as the two of you quietly left the others.

“I… I’m sorry we’re putting you in this position.” He said at last which made you look up at him. It seemed as though he was even taller than when he had first arrived with the others and with the words he had just said, maybe he had grown more mature as well.

You shook you head slightly. “No…Sehun. It’s not your or any of the other’s fault. I guess… It’s just the way it is.” You shrugged.

“Still though.” Sehun said as he looked at you. “It must be horrible to have to choose like this. I mean, I can tell you, if I were you, I wouldn’t be able to choose.” He smiled.

You laughed slightly. “Who would you choose?” you asked.

“I’m telling you, I couldn’t! It’d be such a difficult decision. It’s for the rest of your life you know. You don’t even know us well enough to be able to make that kind of decision.” Sehun answered.

“Well, I guess that’s what these 45 minutes are for.” you simply replied. “It’s kind of like speed dating.” you chuckled as you made the parable.

Sehun just looked at you with warm eyes as you laughed at your own joke. He didn’t understand what ‘speed dating’ meant, though he could guess. He was just happy to see you smile despite the sudden pressure that had been put on you.

“But seriously, who would you pick if you were in my shoes?” you asked, suddenly curious.

Sehun shrugged. “I don’t know. Kai is very good looking and you have seen to yourself how much he has grown as a person just for you.” Sehun began.

You nodded, realizing what Sehun said was true. Kai had done a good job during his time on earth and you were proud of him.
“Chanyeol and Baekhyun would be very protective boyfriends, not to talk about Tao… Really, all of us would be protective.” Sehun continued. “Chanyeol’s just… the most possessive.”

You chuckled. That was so true.

“Chen is funny and he sings beautifully. I know he’s been able to annoy you a lot of times but honestly, he’s a great person and I think you know it.” Sehun nodded. “Luhan would of course be a good choice as well but I guess I’m biased too…” he almost blushed at that. “I’d vote for Xiumin too, he’s so sweet and caring. And you can’t say the word ‘caring’ without mentioning Kyungsoo and Suho. And Kris. Kris is very caring too you know.” Sehun said, looking at you.

You looked back and nodded slowly. “I think I’ve realized that… What about you?”

“What about me what?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Wouldn’t you pick yourself?” you asked, smirking slightly.

Sehun was quiet at first but then he answered. “Probably not. I mean, what have I got? Everything I’m good at, someone else is at least 10 times better at. Really, I don’t recommend myself.” He chuckled sadly and you stopped in your tracks. You turned so that you were facing him directly.

“Listen, Sehun.  You’re a great human bei- I mean alien, and just like how you said Kai has grown, you have grown a lot too. I’m very proud of you as well. And you wouldn’t be any less of a good choice than the others. Don’t think so lowly of yourself, please.” you said, looking at him with a serious expression, hoping he’d really take your words to heart.

“Thanks you, but you asked me, so I answered honestly. I wouldn’t choose me. I think I’d choose any of the others before myself. Actually, I think my choice would be Lay.” Sehun suddenly smiled slightly, maybe trying to assure you it was okay to drop the subject of his earlier negative words towards himself.

“Lay? How come?” You asked, still curious, smiling at him now.

“He’s always kind and he never loses his temper. He’s good at so much, like cooking and dancing and singing and playing the guitar…. He’d simply be a good choice. I’d think he’d make a good husband and father one day.” Sehun explained and you smiled.

“Well, guess what?”

“What?” Sehun asked.

“I think you’d be a great husband and father one day too. There’s nothing saying that you wouldn’t.” you shook your head and smiled at him.

Sehun smiled back, looking shy.

“Here, give me a hug.” you didn’t wait for any kind of response before pulling him in for a real bear hug.

Sehun wasn’t far behind as he put his long arms around you and carefully placed his chin on the top of your head.

“You mean so much to me Sehun, don’t you ever forget about that.” You whispered in to his chest and suddenly felt like crying.

“You mean… The world to me. You and the other 11, you’re my family.” He whispered out, sounding just as close to tears as you felt. You took his words to heart and swallowed to not burst out crying. All of a suddenly, the entire reality of that you were going to have to choose just one of them and lose the other 11 dawned on you and you felt like breaking down right there. You probably would have if Sehun hadn’t held his arms around you.