Chapter 36: Plot twiiiist

My Twelve Knights in Shining Armour

You didn’t even scream. Well, at least you didn’t think you did. It was all a blur and when the blur finally stopped, you were somewhere completely different from where you just had been.

“What is this? Where are we?” You asked, panic growing.

“Relax.” Was all Taemin said, looking calm as ever.

“Relax?” You questioned, staring at him as if he was insane. “Tell me where we are.” You demanded, starting to feel sick.

Taemin glanced at you, then swallowed. “We’re on EXO.” He explained, sighing. Your eyes widened. Taemin wasn’t supposed to know about EXO. Was it some other kind of EXO? Like a store or something? “What are you talking about?” you asked, looking at Taemin with suspicion.
He looked at you, seeming slightly uncomfortable. “It’s kind of a long story, and I don’t think I’m the best one to tell you.” He explained but you just stared at him. “Come on, I’ll take you to the main office.”

You couldn’t describe the way out of the weird blur, but suddenly you stood on something that seemed like ground, but different from the kind of ground you were used to. “Are we really on another planet…?” you whispered to yourself as you followed Taemin inside something that looked like some kind of building. The two of you entered an elevator thingy and just as you thought it was really a normal elevator; you had been transported from the floor you had entered to another one, without even 2 seconds passing.    

Taemin stepped out, still looking completely calm while you felt yourself going slightly hysterical. You had so many questions that a new one popped up in your brain before you had a chance to voice the last one.
You followed closely behind Taemin as you noticed people kept staring at you. Not really staring maybe, more like looking at you with curiosity. Either way, it made you feel uncomfortable.

“Boss.” You heard Taemin say as he did a 90° bow to someone in front of him. As you glanced out from behind him, you recognized the male behind a desk thingy. “Oh, Julia. How nice to finally meet you in real life.” The man smiled and you carefully smiled back, glancing down at the ground. You couldn’t really place him at first, but soon you were pretty sure it had been the man that you had spoken to on some screen when you had gotten back from South Korea with Suho.

“The others should be here any second now. Have a seat while you wait.” The man gestured for a line of chairs by the wall you hadn’t noticed when you first entered.

You sat down next to Taemin and it felt like maybe three seconds passed, but yet you had the time to think about bazillion things. Where were you? Were you really on EXO? Then what was Taemin doing here? And where were your aliens?
Scenarios started popping up in your head, but as those three EXO seconds had passed, all your previous thoughts felt like those dreams that you couldn’t really remember in the morning.
All of a sudden, as you looked up, 12 familiar aliens appeared inside the room. They were all wearing those weird silvery clothes they had worn when they first arrived on Earth.   

Sehun was the first one to spot you and was about to run over when the Boss voice calmly said. “Stop there.” Sehun froze in his tracks and backed up to the rest of the aliens who were now all facing you, looking just as confused as you felt.
“What is he doing here?” Chanyeol exclaimed, staring at Taemin. “Did you capture a human?” He asked, eyes wide.

“Have a seat Chanyeol, and the rest of you to. I’ll explain everything.” The Boss promised. The EXO aliens walked over to the line of chairs where you and Taemin sat. Sehun hurried to sit down next to you on the chair that Taemin wasn’t sitting on. He threw Taemin a dirty look before focusing his eyes on you. He looked worried and you had the sudden urge to just hug him and have him explain this whole weird situation to you. But you stayed rooted to your spot and the two of you just looked at each other as everyone else sat down as well. 

“I understand you’re all very confused right now.” Said a voice and as you looked back towards where the Boss sat, you saw that 4 new people had joined him and it was now one of those who spoke.

“You could say…” you heard Chanyeol mutter quietly in response.

“You see, this is a little bit complicated, but we’ll explain.” another Boss said. And so the story started.

“You all know that the 12 of you were sent to Earth to be Julia’s soul mates. We told you we sent all of you because the alien that was supposed to be sent couldn’t go, right?”

Some nods came from the aliens and the Boss continued. “Well… That isn’t the truth. You see, Taemin here, was supposed to be sent for Julia.”

Wait a second… You turned your head to look at Taemin. Was- Wait….What? He turned his head and smiled at you. “Surprise…” he whispered.     

“I understand this come as a shock for all of you – well, except for Taemin.” Said the Boss and you turned your head only to realize the EXO aliens eyes were even bigger than yours.

“He’s an ALIEN?! From EXO?” Baekhyun exclaimed and the Bosses simply nodded.

“You see, we decided to go through with an experiment this time. We wanted to see how EXO aliens reacted towards jealousy. We gave you all time to establish a good relationship with Julia so that you would at least care for her. We also gave Taemin here, the mission to – what would you humans call it? Date you, Julia. And it turned out that our suspicions were true. Even EXO aliens can show jealousy.”

“Excuse me Bosses but, is that really something new? Haven’t EXO aliens always been able to feel jealousy? Just like any other emotion?” Suho asked, eyebrows furrowed.

“Yes, Suho, of course we already knew EXO aliens could feel jealousy, for something on EXO. We wanted to see how long it would take you guys to feel so possessive of a mere human girl.” At this the Bosses started chuckling. “It didn’t take long at all. Within the first two weeks, at least half of you even started feeling jealous towards one another.” The bosses kept smiling, as if though such a thing was really funny. However, none of your aliens seemed to find it funny. 

“I mean, I knew it could happen, but I didn’t think you would get such feelings for a human girl so fast.” the first Boss said.

“But, Boss, how come we couldn’t feel the presence of Taemin if he now is an alien?” Suho asked.

“Ah, that’s simple. Taemin here, has the amazing power of being able to turn off his alien presence, that’s also why he so easily adapted to the life on Earth. Though I was impressed by you guys too. Most of you were fast on learning how things worked despite not having that kind of power.” another Boss answered.   

“But…” For the first time you opened your mouth and everyone’s attention turned towards you. “Taemin has gone to my school ever since I started there.” You said, eyebrows furrowed and not sure whether to direct the question towards Taemin or the Bosses.

“Julia, this mission isn’t something we made up over a cup of tea, dear. It’s been planned for a few years or so now, and now, it’s finished.” The only female boss around the table smiled at you.

“Finished? What do you mean by that?” Lay asked. 

“Well, we’ve got enough information about what we needed to know, and well… That’s it.” Boss #1 explained.   

“So… What now?” Kris asked, fearing he might know what would come next.

“Oh, right. Taemin, why don’t you explain that?” the Boss gestured towards Taemin who nodded and stood up.

“As you’ve now been told, I was originally the one who was meant to be Julia’s soul mate. But, I’ve already found my love. Here on EXO. I asked the Bosses if there was anything I could do to be with her instead of getting sent to Earth to be someone else’s soul mate when I already had one.” Taemin smiled, looking between the faces he was talking to. 

“So that’s when we figured this was the key time to go through with the mission. We sent Taemin to Earth and then, a little later, we informed you about your part of the mission.” another Boss explained.

“So now Taemin, why don’t you say your goodbye’s and go meet your Naeun? I’ve heard she’s been waiting for you.” Boss #1 said and you saw the smile on Taemin’s face grow 10 times bigger.

“Thank you so much Bosses.” He bowed to them before turning to you. “I’m sorry about this Julia.”

“Ah… I guess it’s okay…” you said, still not really sure of what was going on. “Thanks, well, say goodbye to the others on Earth from me. Tell them I moved back to South Korea.” Taemin said.

“Wait… So you’re not from South Korea?” you asked, confused. Taemin chuckled. “No… I better get going. I gotta go be with my soul mate.” He couldn’t keep the smile from his face as he bowed his head towards Chanyeol, Xiumin and the others before leaving the room.

Everything went quiet while you all tried to gather our thoughts.

“So… Kris…” the Boss that was Kris’ uncle started. “I think you know what will come next.”

You looked over at Kris, who nodded while biting his lip. Suddenly you felt worried. What was about to happen…?

The boss turned to you. “It’s time for you to choose.”