Chapter 17: The consequences of healing

My Twelve Knights in Shining Armour

That night you had a hard time falling asleep again. You kind of wished you had the courage to ask Chen to sing for you again. Ever since you moved to New York you had never had such a good night of sleep as the time he sang that song to you.       

Once you finally fell asleep, you dreamt a lot and you woke up again after just a few hours. “Aish, I might as well go and take something to eat.” You mumbled to yourself as you got out of bed and lazily pulled on a hoodie.  

Did we have homework until tomorrow? Or… Today maybe? You asked yourself as you walked out to the living room. Suddenly, you heard quiet voices and turned towards the couch.

You walk over there when you realize all of the aliens are gathered around the sofa – that had happened too many times during these few weeks -. Someone was lying on the couch but you couldn’t see who since all the aliens were standing in the way. 

“Hey, what are you all doing up?” you ask as you squeeze in between Suho and Sehun. You hear someone say your name with surprise but you don’t care since you’ve now turned all your focus to Lay, who’s the one lying on the couch. His face is frowning badly in pain and he holds a grip of his waist.   

“What happened?” You exclaim. Lay opens his eyes slightly and spots you. However he continues throwing himself slightly side to side while still holding on to his waist.
You spot a lonely tear in the corner of his eyes and you suddenly feel a bit of panic.

“Seriously! What happened!” you exclaim and shake Sehun just because he’s standing next to you.

“It’s because of his power.” Baekhyun states and you look over at him.

~~~

Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Xiumin take you away from the cramping Lay and in to the kitchen.
Kyungsoo starts making you a cup of hot chocolate right away while Xiumin sits you down on a chair.

“What’s wrong with him?” You ask, swallowing back your tears, still seeing Lay’s pained face in front of you.   

“As I said, it’s because of his power.” Baekhyun sighed. “Having the power of being able to heal is an absolutely amazing gift, but it comes with its negativities.“ he explains.

“There’s always a backhand of a power, and sometimes that backhand is quite big. Usually, the more good you can make with your power, the more bad can it make to you.” Xiumin says next to you.

“So… What does that mean?” You ask, looking between Xiumin and Baekhyun.

“It means… Well, since Lay actually literally can save lives and that is such an amazing thing, his power can cause him a lot of pain. Every time he heals something he has to take some of his own strength. Healing a flower that has wilted or a small scratch on a human almost doesn’t hurt Lay at all, but actually bringing something that’s dead back to life takes a humongous amount of strength. And as you can see, a lot of pain.” Baekhyun explains as Kyungsoo serves you your cup of hot chocolate.

“Will he be alright?” You ask with wide eyes.

“Yeah, he’ll be fine, but it he’ll be in great pain for the coming few days and then it’ll still hurt weeks from now but then he’ll at least be able to walk.” Xiumin comforts you. 

“So what can we do? What can I do?” You ask, warming your hands on the side of the mug instead of drinking its content.   

“I’m afraid there’s not much we can do. This kind of thing needs to take its time and Lay knows it. He was prepared for it when he decided to save that dog.” Baekhyun says.     

“Is there NOTHING we can do?” You ask as you send a warm thought to the alien currently in horrible pain because he helped a little boy bring back his pet.

“Believe me, I want to help him just as much as you do but there’s really not much we can do.” Kyungsoo said. 

“Although, I know his parents used to put these warm, wet towels on his waist when the pain was this bad.” Luhan suddenly appears together with Sehun in the door. “Kris told us to leave him some space.” He explains as if you wondered why they were here. 

“Then I shall do that.” You got up, ignoring your hot chocolate.
Despite it being the middle of the night you take out towels from a cupboard and fill a big bucket with warm water. 

“Here, I’ll help you carry it.” Xiumin offers and the two of you walk out to the living room.

Kris was standing next to the couch looking helpless. Lay was still cramping in pain as Xiumin sat down the bucket on the floor next to the couch and you sat down on your knees next to it. 

“Jul-ia…” Lay whimpers almost inaudible. “Yo-u should go to-o bed.” He manages to say.

“Silly. How could I sleep knowing you were out here in pain?” You ask. “Now I know it’s hard, but try to lie as still as possible.” You said.

Lay did as he was told the best he could and you picked up one of the towels, quickly wetting it in the warm water before carefully pulling up Lay’s shirt just enough so that you could put the towel on his bare waist.

About a minute maybe pass, before Lay finally seemed to be able to relax a little in his tensed body.
After another 20 minutes or so, you changed the towel for a new one.

After sitting there for almost an hour, your eyes were almost going in cross and you were feeling extremely sleepy. This obviously didn’t go unnoticed by the aliens and Suho came and sat down next to you.

“Here, I’ll take over.” He smiled comforting and you hesitantly let him hold the towel and put slight pressure on it.

“Does this really help?” Chen asked as you got up.

“Apparently.” You shrugged slightly.

“I think you should all go to bed and give him some privacy.” Suho said kindly from his spot.

“Right.” You shook your head slightly. “Hey Chen” you turned to him again.

“Yeah?” he asked. “Do you think you could sing me to sleep again?” you asked.

“Sure, any time.” Chen smiled.

The song of the night was called “Baby Don’t Cry” which you found fitting since you had been so close to tears that night.

---------------------------------

Just a short update because it’s been so long. I have a big exam in biology tomorrow so you shouldn't count on any more updates until the weekend ^^