Chapter 37: Luhan

My Twelve Knights in Shining Armour

”Choose?” You furrowed your eyebrows slightly.

“Yes, choose.” said one of the bosses calmly.

You glanced over at Kris who wasn’t meeting your eyes. As you looked around, it was clear that the bosses and Kris knew something you and the other 11 aliens in the room didn’t.

“Excuse me, boss, but I don’t think Julia understands what you mean. And neither do I…” Luhan mumbled the last part.

“Oh, right!” Boss #1 exclaimed. “I realize now that we haven’t informed you. You see, we can’t possibly let a small human have 12 soul mates. So, Julia, you’ll just have to choose one of them.” The Boss smiled as if all you had to do was pick an ice cream flavor. You stared at him. “Excuse me?!” you exclaimed and seemed to startle some of the bosses. “I’m going to have to pick one!?” you didn’t even care whether you might act inappropriate or not – this was outrageous! It was also clear you weren’t the only one who thought so. 

“She has to pick!?” Chanyeol yelled as he rose from his seat. “You can’t do that! You said we’d all be her soul mates!” Kai exclaimed with fury written all over. More complaints were thrown around the room. Even Suho said that they couldn’t do that to you.

“I’m sorry, I realize this isn’t the most pleasant surprise but, if you, Julia, don’t already know who you’re going to pick, we’ll be kind enough to give you a day to think about your decision.

Before anyone could voice another complaint, the bosses had disappeared. You didn’t even blink at that, you were just to shocked and to heartbroken to even think normally right now.

“You knew about this all along?” Baekhyun, who seemed to try to hold back his anger, looked at Kris who just nodded slowly. “I didn’t know it’d be so soon.” He said quietly.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Lay asked. “My orders were not to.” Kris simply answered.

It was quiet for a moment or two before you quietly spoke up. “So what do we do now?”

-----------

“Okay, so my suggestion is that we all get to spend 45 minutes with Julia to make one last impression and then she’ll hopefully be able to decide.” Kyungsoo explained as he showed the group how their time with Julia was divided.

“How am I ever supposed to choose?” you asked, still not believing the situation.

“I know it’s unfair.” Suho said with a sad tone.

“But it’s unfair to all of us.” Xiumin mumbled with the same kind of tone.

Once again there was quiet for a while. “Who’s first?” you asked at last. Kyungsoo looked at the paper before stating. “Luhan.” Everyone’s attention was turned towards the second oldest alien who first looked around but then focused his eyes on you. “Let’s not waste any time.” He stated before walking over to you and grabbing you hand.

“Where should I even start…?” Luhan asked, maybe mostly himself as you and he had left the others and entered an empty room. He turned towards you and looked at you with a pained expression. “If I had known about this…” he started and you realized you were seeing a new side of Luhan right now. He always seemed to want to play so cool and joke around with everyone. He wanted to be taken as a man and not mistaken as anything else. He had so much pride but right now you could see him put all that aside and let out his vulnerability.

“It’s okay…” you said even though it wasn’t. It clearly wasn’t.

“No, it’s not. I don’t even know what I want to do during these short, tiny 45 minutes. It !” Luhan exclaimed.

“You wanna play soccer?” you asked, tilting your head. Luhan looked at you. “You want to play soccer?” he asked, with doubt written all over. “Why not?” you shrugged. “A game of soccer is 45 minutes, right?”

“One half of a soccer match is 45 minutes, but close enough.” Luhan smiled towards you and you were happy to see him not look as miserable as before.   

Before you had a chance to question where you were going to play or what you were going to play with, you stood on a perfectly sized field with two fairly small goals and a ball on the ground in between you and Luhan.   

“Wow, what just happened?” you asked, widening your eyes. “It’s the government building. There’s so many powerful aliens in here, anything is possible inside this building. You pretty much just have to think of something and you’ll have it right in front of you.” Luhan explained. You looked around. “Yeah, I can see that.” You scuffed and Luhan started rolling the ball from foot to foot.   

“Do you know any rules?” he asked. “A little.” You shrugged. “But don’t even try to explain offside to me.” You declared.

Luhan smiled but then turned half serious. “If you choose me, I’ll teach you exactly what offside means.” He promised. You gave him a look. You didn’t want to think about your future decision. “If you say that, there’s no chance I’ll choose you.” you joked and Luhan chuckled.

5 Minutes later, Luhan had the lead with 11-0. “Hey! Aren’t you supposed to go easy on me?!” you exclaimed as you brushed your hair away from your sweaty forehead.   

“You want me to do that? Usually you’re all ‘woman and men should be equal, blablabla’.” Luhan mocked you.

“Yeah, well, not because I’m a girl, because I can’t freaking play soccer!” you shouted, ready to start pouting any second.

“Okay, I’m sorry. I’ll go a little bit easier on you.” Luhan promised.

Another 5 minutes later you gave up by sitting down on the ground with a big, childish pout as Luhan just had done own goal out of pity for you and the score was now 22-1.

“Oh, you just made it so much better!” you exclaimed as you fell back on the ground.

Luhan came over to lie next to you. “Hey, don’t be sad.” He said as he lay on his side to be able to look at you.

“I’ll never ever play soccer with you again.” you assured him.

“That’s okay, you’re not too fun to play with anyways.” he teased. You just glared at him in response which simply caused Luhan to crack up.

Once he had stopped laughing, he looked at you with a serious expression once again. “I don’t expect you to pick me.” he said.

“Why wouldn’t I?” you asked as you pushed yourself up on your elbows.   

“I know you have a way better relation to Chanyeol or Kyungsoo or Suho or Tao or really anyone.” Luhan stated and you were about to object but he stopped you. “Whoever you pick, I want you to know that… “ he took a deep breath and you realized Luhan was letting the last piece of ‘manliness’ he was trying to assure everyone he had, go. “…I am very glad that I have gotten to know you and I don’t know how, but I hope that no matter who you pick, I’ll be able to meet you every now and then.” He said, looking sad. You couldn’t help but to feel sad too. How were you even supposed to be able to do this? You loved them all and you had never prepared yourself to choose to just be with one of them.

You and Luhan just lay there, looking at each other for a few quiet seconds before you saw him swallow, preparing himself to say something. “I… I love you.” he said as he leaned in and pressed his lips towards your forehead.

As he retreated, you met his eyes. “I love you too, I love all 12 of you.” You said as you leaned towards him to lay your head on his chest.

Luhan lay down, his back flat on the ground and your head resting on his rising and falling chest as he carefully played with your hair with one hand and entwined his other with yours and for the remains of your 45 minutes together, you just lay there, both of you quiet.

----------------------

1 down, 11 to go…

Gosh, this story is coming to an end… I’m just gonna write about all the members 45 minutes with Julia (I hope it won’t bore you) and the order will be completely random.

Thank you everyone for commenting, subscribing and up-voting ^^