Chpater 22: Bringing out your inner Jackie Chan

My Twelve Knights in Shining Armour

You focused to keep your eyes open as you read through the book about all sorts of religions from all over the world that you need as a source for your essay.

“We’re closing now.” You heard the librarian in her mid-forties announce to you and the few other students that had been just like you, studying until late night. You glanced at your phone as you shut the book. It said 22:59 so you got up and put the book on the shelf where it belonged before collecting your notes and pencils.

You were the last to leave the building and as you put in your headphones you let out a yawn. You couldn’t be looking forward to colliding with your bed any more than you did right now, but the walk to your apartment took a good 15 minutes and you were far too tired to walk fast to make the walk shorter.   

You made sure to pick a song with a fast beat so that you’d feel a little more inspired to at least walk faster than a snail would, but soon, something else made you increase your speed.
As you passed the convenience store near the library, a shadow started following you. Flashbacks from the night when those men had followed and approached you played in your head and soon you realized that you were practically running.        
You took out one of your headphones to listen after footsteps but when you can’t hear any behind you, you finally dare to turn your head and let out a sigh of relief as you realize no one was following you anymore. Maybe they never were. I guess I’m just growing paranoid. But as you turn your head back, you’re suddenly face to face with someone.      

You let out a surprised scream and almost fall backwards in a try to get away, but soon enough you realize there’s no reason to be afraid.   

“Tao?” you asked, staring up at your ‘stalker’. 

“Hello there.” He smiled at you charmingly, tilting his head slightly. 

“Why are you scaring me?!” you exclaimed, almost angry at him.

“Scare you?” he looked confused. “Did I scare you? That was never my intention.”

As he says that, you relax. He never meant to scare you. “It’s alright then.” You mumble, relieved it was just Tao and no freak.    

“I’m sorry Julia. I just wanted to come pick you up so that you wouldn’t have to go home alone. You’re not exactly a threat to someone who’d want you something bad.” He explained as he started walking next to you, putting his arm around your shoulders.   

“You don’t think I could defend myself?” you ask, almost offended. Tao just gave you a look. “Fine then.” You admitted. “I’ll always be an easy target.” You pouted as you looked down at the ground.

“That’s not something you have to worry about as long as you have me.” Tao smiled and leaned his head on yours.

“Well can’t you teach me some moves?” you asked, suddenly excited and not at all tired anymore.

“Moves?” Tao raised his eyebrows. “Yeah you know, like kung fu moves?” you said.

“Eum… Well okay…” Tao let go of you and started showing something slowly. You tried to take in every move he made carefully and then mirror it but it all ended with Tao just laughing at you.

“Hey! Stop laughing.” You ordered him but couldn’t help but to chuckle yourself.   

“Here, do this instead. It’s easier.” Tao said as he started showing you a simpler move.   

The two of you spent the whole way back to your apartment like that. Tao showing of a martial arts trick or move or whatever you call it perfectly and then you giving out a pathetic try on mirroring it.

When you had almost reached your building you gave a final try on a specifically complicated (well, at least complicated to you) kick but ended up accidently hitting your own nose. You doubled over in pain, holding your nose with both your hands, trying to feel if it was bleeding or not.   

“Oh ! Julia, are you okay?” Tao exclaimed worriedly and put a hand on your back. You straightened up, meeting his eyes as you let go of your nose. “I think it’s safer for everyone if I just stay away from defending myself.” You said jokingly and Tao chuckled slightly. “Well, you should always try and defend yourself, maybe just not with martial arts.” He smiled as he took a close look at your hurt nose. 

He held your chin carefully as he gently pressed your nose with his other hand. The whole situation reminded both him and you of that time he got hurt in the fight with those guys and you had nursed him afterwards.

“It seems alright.” He stated in a low voice before leaning in and giving your injured nose a small, careful kiss. You looked up at his eyes as he straightened up and the two of you stood like that for a while. “Do you wish you had injured you lips instead?” he then suddenly asked and as fast as you got what he meant by that you reached out to slap him on the head but of course he was quick to duck.
When he stood tall again he met your eyes for a quick second before hurriedly leaning in and placing his lips on yours. He let them stay there, all casually for just a few seconds before he pulled back again and gave you a smile.     

“You’ll never catch me!” he called as he slowly started running off.

When the both of you arrived inside your apartment you realized you were tired again. “You know Tao, I would have done way better with those martial arts stuff if I didn’t have to carry my bag.” You excused as you placed your bag on the floor.

“Yeah yeah, you blame it on that.” He ruffled your hair. The other aliens had already gone to sleep and so you gave Tao a goodnight hug before leaving to brush your teeth.

Tao opened the door and stepped inside the room he shared with Kris. The leader alien looked up from the book he was reading.

“You look good in your glasses Duizhang.” Tao pointed out as he shut the door behind him. Kris sighed and took them off just because of the comment.   

“Where have you been?” he asked as he put a small piece of paper in the book as a bookmark before he shut it. 

Tao sat down on the bed as he took of his socks with his feet, one by one. “Out. I went to pick up Julia.” 

“Good idea.” Kris pointed out. Tao nodded and thought back on the pleasant walk home. He loved spending time with you and realized it was even better if it was just the two of you. He loved his hyungs as well as Kai and Sehun but when they were all around you gave less attention to him. He didn’t mean to sound jealous or as if he wished to have you all on his own, but he couldn’t deny he liked those times the best.   

“Was she happy you came to meet her?” Kris asked as he lay down on his side, facing Tao as the younger one pulled his own cover over his body. “I think so. She seemed happy. Although I accidently scared her.” Tao told his respected leader.        

“Really?” Kris asked, raising his eyebrows. “Yeah.” Tao stated as he laid on his back, putting his hands behind his neck.    

“Ugh, you need to shower.” Kris growled as he turned around. “What…?” Tao asked as he reached down to smell his own arm pits. “I’m sure yours smell worse, Duizhang.” He muttered back before he turned around as well.