Chapter 41

Showing You Happiness

 

 

 

 

Sheng Yi's part

 

 

*Knock, knock*

 

 

“I think you must hate working with businessmen since they all go on business trips. I’ll be surprised if you aren’t hating business trips since almost everyone who is in business loves travelling.”

Sheng Yi glanced at the plane ticket that had already been prepared by his secretary, he chuckled to himself as he picked it up, looking at the ticket before looking up to the person who just showed up in his office. His eyes instantly looked at hers as his lips naturally curved into a smile. His secretary dismissed himself out of the room and left the two alone.

"I'm here to apologize... I know I might have came out a little bit strong but—"

She found herself glancing at the plane ticket his hands. He placed it down and walked over to her.

"Amanda..."

She was ready to run out the door when Sheng Yi held her back, causing her to stare into his eyes, surprised by his actions.

"I just came to tell you that I am willing to let you go, I know that you like Gui and you made that crystal clear to me. So I hope you guys patch things up and forg—“ She paused, staring at the plane ticket. “This plane ticket..."

He walked over to his desk, holding it up.

"I am going to New York in a couple of days, I probably won't be in Taipei for awhile."

He looked up to see Amanda dumb-founded by his sudden actions. "And I won't be going with Gui."

Amanda looks up to catch a small twinkle in his eyes as he smiled.

"I am not going ask you to wait for me but I need this break, I need to get out of this country, to re-discover myself and what I want. So, when I come back, I want to see the old Amanda Zhou, the girl who smiles comes naturally, the smile that I remember and miss. So... Do I get to see it when I come back?"

And slowly, the tears started streaming down her face. Sheng Yi smiled as he pulled her into an embrace, while patting her head.

"A new beginning that will start with a smile."

She remained still as his lips curve into a smile. "A new beginning?" Sheng Yi nodded as he took a glimpse at Amanda. "Oh believe me, I think we all need it."

"Oh you have no idea."

Amanda and Sheng Yi turned their heads to see Ah Ben walking in.

Amanda bid them farewell as she walked out of the room quietly, leaving Ah Ben and Sheng Yi alone. Ah Ben turned his head back and forth between the two and shrugged, not wishing to get himself stuck in another couples business.

"What brings you here?"

Sheng Yi asked, sounding cheerful as Ah Ben wrapped his arm on his shoulder, shoving the box he was holding against his stomach. Sheng Yi winced in pain for a moment before taking a look at the box.

"What's this?"

 

"Open it."

 

 

 

Flashback

"What is it?"

Ying Jie asked as she entered her office, surprised that there was a big box planted in the center of her desk.

"Is Christmas coming early this year?"

Ah Ben tried to conceal his excitement but he blew it once Even opened it.

"What the heck?"

She paid no attention to the item so she reached for the card instead."Care to explain?"

Ying Jie asked as Ah Ben gleamed with happiness. Unable to control his emotions any longer, he only walked out of  the room, carrying another box in his hands.

 

 

Did he turn into a delivery man?

 

 

End of Flashback

 

 

 

"Explain."

Sheng Yi stated as he held up two masquerade masks that was made by a skilled artisan that only the Venetian can only create. Ah Ben was about to turn around and leave but Sheng Yi pulled him back, clutching onto his collar as Ah Ben gasped for air.

"YOU ALMOST KILLED ME!"

"Oh but I didn't. Now explain, what is this?"

"Read the letter for goodness sake!"

And he did while Ah Ben stood beside him, adjusting his suit.

 

 

We are pleased to invite you to our first opening of the Wu Corp Hotel that has been creating a stir in the media lately. This Hotel wouldn't be complete if it weren't for those who worked long and hard for what they do, they are the ones whom are valued and respected in Wu Corp. So to show our eternal happiness and gratitude for those who contributed to the success of Wu Corp. and as a symbol of Chairman Wu and Miss. Wu’s happiness, we will be honoured if you can grace us with your appearance in this year's annual celebration of Wu Corp's 79th anniversary and to celebrate the newly established hotel.

 

 

 

 

"Chairman Wu still has a bag full of tricked huh?"

"You can choose to come or not but this mask has to be on you. Chairman Wu likes his guests to come the way he wants to come and besides, you have your fair share of the company's work so this shouldn't be an issue. Unless..."

He glanced over at the plane ticket sitting on his desk. "Well you decide buddy."

When Ah Ben left the room, Sheng Yi stared at the masquerade mask sitting neatly in the box.

 

Then suddenly, Sheng Yi took out his phone, waiting for his call to answer. 

“Hey dad, it looks like I am going to be coming late. I have decided to go to the opening party at the Wu Hotel before heading over to New York.”

“Son, it’s over.”

“I know dad, but I am still going to this party. Even though Ying Jie and I called off the engagement, it doesn’t mean I am going to stop supporting her and Mr. Wu. As a friend and fellow businessman, I am going to this party. I decided to go and enjoy myself for one more night then I will come and join you and mom.”             

“If that is what you wish son. Oh, your mother said to give her blessings and congratulations to Mr. Wu and his daughter on a job well done. Add mine in there as well. The hotel is stirring a lot of public news and it is grand news, a job well done.”

“I will father.” He tightly shut his eyes. “And dad, thank you for understanding. You know, I was happy to hear you guys support the engagement and encourage me to win her heart. Even though we called it off, I am still happy to have your support.”

“Son, when Mr. Wu and I announced to the world that you and Ying Jie were getting engaged, we knew that you two have unresolved business. So we thought of this plan to have you two talk it out, give answers to your questions and earn that friendship back. I will admit, we weren’t sure if it was going to work or not. Luckily it did, it worked wonderfully. The outcome of this was not important because the steps in process is what’s important. I am relieved to hear you and Ying Jie are still friends. If you are worried about Wu’s and our reputation, don’t be. That old man and I are old buddies, so just concentrate on work and come to New York when you’re ready.”

“Thank you dad for everything you’ve done.”

Sheng Yi looked at the city of Taipei, admiring it’s beauty before ending the call with a positive look.