Chapter 45

Showing You Happiness

 

 

Masquerade Ball II

 

Before Gui said anything, Ting Wei had already twirled her into another dance with someone else, to finish the second half of the waltz.

The man thanked Ting Wei, before meeting Gui’s dazed look.

“This dance... will be our last dance together. Aren’t you a bit sad?”

Gui giggled, looking through his eyes like a mirror.

The eyes that she spent most of her time looking into, years have passed but it seemed like it was only yesterday that they were holding hands, walking down the streets.

“I heard of your plan to venture your business overseas... Of course I’m going to miss you.”

THEN! It’s not too late to come back into my arms! I’m a forgiver!”

“Wang Zi...”

He deeply inhaled, knowing what was going through her mind.

“With this last dance, I will remember everything from the past. Like we are still together, without anyone but us. When we were together, we used to dance like this. Fast forward a couple of years later, we are still dancing together but we are no longer dancing as a couple. I guess things change, I remember you how terrible you were at dancing... I never knew the expression ‘two left feet’ until I danced with you. Only a good dancing partner can avoid it. But I guess, some things never change. Right Gui?”

“I sense you have something to say. What is the hidden message you are trying to tell me?”

Your still attacking my feet... My feet are going to be broken by the time this dance is over. I might be a prince but dancing is not my strongest attribute.”

“OH MY GOSH, WANG ZI! I’M SO SORRY!”

“Well, A promise is a promise, when this dance is over, we will be friends. The past will stay in the past and honestly, I am happy and a bit relieved to hear that and seeing how happy you are with him makes me envious. I am in the process of forgetting most of it so we can both move on, although it will be a memory that I won’t forget. So don’t fret, give it all you got Gui, I know he will treat you like a precious diamond.”

“Thank you Sheng Yi...”

“As once upon a time lovers, I guess it’s time for us to say our goodbyes. But as friends, we will see each other soon. OKAY! Anyways, enough of these sappy goodbyes. Hint time, the key to your happiness is only a few steps towards that direction. Good luck Gui!”

Gui was about to run in the direction he told her but she froze. He can tell where her happiness lies and that it didn’t belong with him. So he crossed his arms, wondering if she decided to change her heart and be with him.

“Has our little moment melt your heart?”

She playfully punched his arm.

“Before I leave, I just want to say this one last time, good luck Wang Zi, you didn’t think the ‘prince’ title came without any benefits did you? I’m sure your princess or princesses will always be a step ahead of you, anxiously waiting for you.”

Wang Zi smirked, watching Gui flew past the crowd in the direction he had pointed out.

 

He was about to head out when someone walked over to him.

In a red dress that hugged her body nicely, she stopped within an arm’s distance from Wang Zi.

“Came to say goodbye to Gui?”

“You look lovely as always, Amanda.”

“You don’t look too bad yourself, Wang Zi.”

Me? It looks like I just got out of bed!”

“As charming as always. The prince title suits you, maybe it’s a title that will never leave you.”

“I hope not. I’m still waiting till the day when I become king.”

King?”

He chuckled, flashing that smile of his than can send girls ascending to heavens. He offered her his hand, she smiled, allowing him to whisk her into an dance.

“For being by my side... Thank you.”

As he whisper the words of gratitude, she smiled, cherishing this moment where it felt like the whole world disappeared, an world that only belonged to them.

“During these past few years, thinking back, I must’ve been a jerk huh?”

“It was bearable.”

As they swayed along with the music, they felt themselves thinking of the past. When the music ended, he lead her towards the garden. The moonlight was bright, not allowing darkness to consume the night.

“Amanda.”

“Yes?”

Amanda.... I don’t know how long I’ll be away but I will promise you, I will heal all those pain you have felt for the past years. I will come back and till then, are you willing to wait for me?”

With the pain that almost swallowed her feelings, the smiles that she had long to see, the laugh she solely wanted, and the love she was so close to receiving but couldn’t. Tonight, just for tonight, he was going to make it up, one at a time.

“With my queen by my side, how could I not be a king?”

When she looked at him, in a split second, he pulled her in to give her a kiss.