Chapter 9

Showing You Happiness

 

"REALLY?" Ying Jie nodded, while holding Ya Lun's hand.

"AWW! FRESH AIR!" He yelled out as Ying Jie stared at him, knowing that he was originally cute, but the clothes added another perspective.

"W—W—What are w—w—we going to do?"

"What do you want to do?" She asked as he rubbed his stomach.

"I want to taste Gui's cooking!" Her eyes widen as she scrambled in her mind, trying to think of the best recipe that she could do.

"What are you feeling for?"

"S—S—STIR FRY NOODLES!"

"WHAT? Stir fry noodles?" He nodded, smiling like an idiot at the thought of eating them.

"Let's go to the market." She blurted out as she linked arms with him while roaming around her phone.

 

{ xx }

 

"Okay, sit down and don't touch anything! Let the master do everything!"

She shouted out as she placed the grocery bags down and helped Ya Lun sit down on one of the chairs.

"Are you sure you can do it?"

He asked as Gui quickly ran around the kitchen, not knowing where everything was stored. Lu Ting Wei was known for being a neat freak so his kitchen has been organized over and over again, since he gets bored with the same arrangements over time.

 

He's a freak right?

 

When Gui found the pan, she gave her one mark towards success as she started preparing everything.

"Ya Lun, you can go to sleep, I'll wake you up when it's ready." She suggested as he shook his head.

"I'm not sleepy!" He whispered as she looked around, not wanting him to feel bored. She snapped her fingers as she came across something that might entertain him for the time-being.

"I—I—I wish I can h—help..."

"Here." She stated as she placed it in front of him.

"You can rip the lettuce for the salad!" She told him as she looked at him, who was preparing to get to work.

"Remember, safety first!" He chuckled, not knowing what harm peeling lettuce would do to him.

While Ya Lun started working on it, Gui quickly turned back to working on the main entree.

When Gui reached for the spatula while looking through her phone at the recipe, she quickly pulled her fingers back when her fingers made contact with the burning pan, causing her to rush over to the sink to cool down.

"Ah!"

"W—W—WHAT'S G—GOING ON? G—GUI?" He shouted out as Ying Jie smiled, not wanting to worry him.

"I—I—I'm fine, I just forgot to rinse the dish!" She called back as she stared at her finger.

"B—B—Be careful!" He said as she nodded, going back to her noodles.

 

{ xx }

 

"H—H—How does it t—t—taste?"

She stuttered as he placed it into his mouth, swallowing it before giving her his opinion.

"It's..."

She bit her lips, wanting how it would taste since it was her first dish she ever made. During the times when she was going out with Sheng Yi, he would personally kick her out of the kitchen, not wanting her around the kitchen when he is cooking.

Sheng Yi likes cooking so Gui didn't mind him being in the kitchen more than her. But this time, she was doing the cooking, and paying close attention to the recipe on her phone. It was like she was taking her bachelor's exam all over again.

"I—I—I like it."

He stated, biting into it again. Ying Jie clapped, knowing her hard work had finally paid off.

When she took a bit into it, she immediately put it down, reaching for a glass of water.

"WHAT DID I PUT IN IT TO MAKE IT SO SALTY?" She yelled out as she slightly opened the wrap, her eyes bulged out as she shook her head, she was careless.

"How can you still eat this? It's so salty..."  She asked Ya Lun who was eating normally.

"Really? I didn't think it's salty. If you want, I can have yours  and you can have my salad!" He reached for the salad bowl and slid it towards her.

"Ya Lun... Don't lie." He stopped eating, not knowing what she was saying.

"Ya Lun, your face is all weird! Your obviously lying to me!" He covered his mouth as Ying Jie handed him water.

"If it's too much, then don't eat it. I'll give it to Ting Wei and make him suffer."

"It's okay!"                                                                                                 

"No it's not!" Ying Jie pulled the plate away but Ya Lun tried reached for it.

"I—I can s—still eat it" He stated as he dug his fork into the salad, mistaking it for the noodles.

When he bit into it, his face went sour as he forced it down his throat. Ying Jie laughed at his silliness that he entertained her with.

"Fine, but don't force yourself."

Ying Jie laughed, sliding the plates over to him while she ate salad and they continued eating together for the first time, with Ying Jie's cooking.

"...Ying Jie." He called out while tapping the fork up and down.

"Yes?"

"W—W—What if so—so-something g—goes w—wrong? Wh—what if I—I cannot see anything a—a—after the sur-surgery?"

 

There was a short pause.

 

"Y—Y—Ying Jie.."

She bent down beside him, holding onto his hands, like what she would do to comfort little kids.

"The only words you should be saying is I can do this! I will do the surgery and see again! I don't want to hear you say those words ever again. Got it?"

She asked as he slowly nodded.

"Either way, I bet that there are people in this world who would like to see you again. You don't want to disappoint them do you?"

He nodded again.

"Including me." She whispered as he smiled, gaining his confidence back.

"Now we should finish this and get you back to the hospital, I promised Dr. Lu I'll bring you back before 8, or else he'll file a missing person report."

 

{ xx }

 

As Ying Jie and Ya Lun walk towards his room, Lu Ting Wei was leaning against the wall while glancing at his watch from time to time. Wondering when they were coming to be back, he was going to dial some numbers into his cellphone when he heard laughter coming towards him.

When Ying Jie saw him, she smiled, waving at him as he stared at them.

"I need to talk to you."

Ying Jie looked into his eyes, wanting to know if it was serious or not. She simply nodded as she walked Ya Lun into her room before coming back out.

"What's wrong?" She asked as he pointed to the rooftop. But instead of retorting, she followed him to the rooftop where all of Taipei can be seen. It was a magnificent view from where they were standing, the city looks a lot livelier and more beauty when the moons out.

"Talk. What has been bothering you?"

Silence. He became quiet, contemplating on whether or not to inform her about the news of Sheng Yi’s recovery. "Never mind."

He whispered as Ying Jie stared at him, suddenly wanting to know what he was about to say, she had disliked it when people call you over, then they don’t say anything

"You know that once you say something, you cannot take it back. Now spit it out, what are you going to tell me?" He cleared his throat, trying to figure out what how to start.

"Fine, tell me when you’re ready." She was about to walk towards the door when he finally said it. The very words that will make or break her relationship with Ya Lun.

 

 

"He woke up."

 

He finally stated after moments of contemplations and scrambling of words.

"W—W—W—What D—D—Did you say?"

She stuttered, not knowing if he had heard him right. Lu Ting Wei repeated himself once again, saying it with confidence as she stood there, shocked, surprised, emotionless and speechless.

 

After four years, these four years... What a relief.”

Lu Ting Wei paused for a moment, second guessing his actions but there was no turning back now. He had to say it, he had to let her know.

 

"Gui... He's awake, Qui Sheng Yi."