Chapter 2

Showing You Happiness

 

 

“Miss Gui Gui Even Wu... do you know what you have done?” She shook her head.

"MY COFFEE IS ALREADY COLD! WHO TOLD YOU TO ROAM AROUND THE HOSPITAL? It's not like this was your first time visiting this place. So don't say you got lost!" Dr. Lu shouted out as he glanced at the coffee in his hands.

"For your information Dr. Lu, I believe the correct term is warm. I'm sure you are aware of the fact that cold and warm have different temperatures." She stated as a matter-of-fact before she drank hers.

Dr. Lu sighed as he swallowed it down, knowing that this argument will never end unless she ends up with the last words. They were both hard-headed so if he followed after her, it would be a never-ending battle.

 

A ladies' man.

 

Lu Ting Wei was a ladies’ man. Lu Ting Wei was one of her friends who has been with her through rough times. The type of person who managed to believe that the incident that happened 3 years ago was all fate.   Throughout their college years, he has always been a attention seeker with his charms and lame pick up lines that no matter how out of fashion they were, it will work.

Besides the fact that he was a charmer, he was surprisingly smart. You would think that he only thinks about girls and lame pick-up lines... but he was genuinely smart.

 

- - -

 

After listening to the breeze, he decided to break the silence with a question that he knows that she wouldn't like, but the thought of it lingered on his mind for quite some time.

"All these years, have you thought about him?" 

She threw her coffee in the bin as she turned around, staring at the magnificent city beneath them.

"Do you know why I don't come here? It's not because of him... or anyone else." His brow arched, raising interest.

"Whenever I want to see him, hoping to catch a glimpse of him, say the things that have been bottled up inside me... I can’t. In the end, I couldn't." Lu Ting Wei leaned back with his elbows on the railing, supporting his weight.

"If I could go back, I would. If I had to give something up..." Lu Ting Wei looked at her as she contemplated on her words.

"I would." 

"Don't blame yourself. You guys were just at the wrong time and place." He stated as a matter-of-fact as she giggled while gazing into the city view. She didn’t know what it was about city views, but they have the magic to calm her down.

"Aside from that, I heard you have been running away?" The girl looked at him as she smiled brightly.

"My dad has been contacting you hasn't he?"

"But don’t you get it? The more you avoid the situation, the situation no matter how big or small, it will spread like fire. So, isn't it better to face them head on? What's the use of avoiding it when it's bound to come back?"

The girl glared at him as he smirked.

"I guess something has changed in the last four years, this place no matter how big or small, it will change you. Dr. Lu, has working with patients soften you up?"

He chuckled as he stared straight ahead, "My words of wisdom are boundless."

Then all of the sudden, his beeper went on, causing them both too jump.

"Duty calls. See you later!" He shouted out as he ran out into the building quickly, not wanting to waste another second.

 

 

Lu Ting Wei's part

 

Flashback

"NOO MOMMMY! YOU CANNOT LEAVE ME! I WON'T LET YOU GO!" The seven-year old Ting Wei held onto his mother's hand tightly, never wanting to let go.

"Honey..."

She lightly whispered to her son as she stared at her son for the last time. Every mother's wishes to live long enough to witness their child’s first day of school, graduate, falls in love, marries, and to hold their first grandchild in their arms. But even though  she never has the chance of seeing them, she was still happy.

As long as he was healthy, she couldn’t ask for anything else.

 

"M– M– Mommy i– is sorry." She whispered as her eyes begun tearing up.

"MOMMMY! NOOO! PLEASE, I BEG YOU! PLLLEEASSEEE!" He cried his heart out as she caressed his cheeks, feeling the exact thing as well.

"Can you fulfill your mother’s last w–wish?" The boy nodded as he held onto her mother.

"Promise me you’ll grow up to be a wonderful boy. Cherish those close to your heart, and... I– I– Iove you, my son."

The father stood by her with his son on the other side, watching his beloved draw her last breath. Not wanting to watch anymore, he slowly walked towards the door, wishing that it was all one big nightmare.

Then all of the sudden, the mother started breathing heavily, causing her heartbeat to rise rapidly. Within seconds, his mother's lost its strength and that's when everyone knew it was time.

"MOMMMYY!"

The father stopped and glanced back at his wife for the last time, Goodbye my one and only love.

 

-12 years later-

"Why do you even want to be a doctor anyways? You can just go into the same facility with me."

The twenty year-old Lu Ting Wei stared up at the sky as they sat in the field, taking this chance to take a little breather before going back to their busy lives. Even if he didn't say, she knew why he wanted to pursue this profession. She looked at his friend and sighed, putting her hand on his shoulder.

"If I can't change your mind, then I guess you leave me with no choice." He stared at her as she smiled.

"I will support you." She stated as he chuckled, not expecting this answer.

"Business and the Medical field are two completive fields. Are you sure you can handle it?"

"Of course. Anything you can do, I can do better." She stated as he tsk'd, not believing it.

"My dear friend, I believe it's the other way around. I can do better." He stated as he pointed to himself.

"NO! I will always out smart you! You damn player!" She shouted out as she smacked him in the end, running away.

"HEY! COME BACK HERE! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH BRAIN CELLS I LOST RIGHT THERE?"

He stopped and glanced at the beauty of the sun setting, wishing his mother could be with him. "I'm one step closer."

End of flashback

 

 

{ xx }

The next morning

 

Ya Lun's part

Ya Lun was roaming around the hospital, bored to death at how the hospital was always so quiet with no source of entertainment besides the company of televisions and children's area. Unaware of where he was stepping, or things in his path. Just when he was about to trip, someone caught him by the arm, preventing him from falling.

"You’re always falling whenever we meet." She stated as he smiled, knowing whose voice this belongs to. The girl helped him sit down before staring at his shoes, she laughed as she bent down, helping him tie his shoe laces.

"No wonder your falling everywhere, it's because these shoe laces are not tied properly."

"T–T–Thank y–you, you always end up saving me."

She looked up at him, amazed at how deep his voice was. For the first time, she managed to view him as a handsome guy.

 

GUI! GET A GRIP!

 

Shaking useless thoughts out of her mind, she sat down beside him.

"I'll say it one last time, I didn't save you. I'm sure that you will do the same if you were in my shoes." He smiled as she sighed, staring at the hospital's garden.

"So Ya Lun, do you have any friends?" He shook his head, leaving her with more questions.

"Family?" He gave her the same response.

"Anyone?" He nodded, smiling like an little kid.

"Who?"

"Dr. Lu and... you." He whispered, feeling embarrassed at his sudden remark.Gui sat there, trying to comprehend what he just said.

"S–S–Sorry... I don't even know your name." He blushed at his sudden out-burst but the girl could only smile, finding it rather direct but cute nonetheless.

 

"It's Wu Ying Jie." She glanced over at him, smiling brightly. "It's nice to meet you, Yan Ya Lun."