Chapter 16

Showing You Happiness

 

 

Bobby’s Restaurant

 

"We haven't talked in 2 years, how have you been?"

Sheng Yi asked as he dug his knife into his tender steak with Ah Ben eating his as well. Ah Ben thought about it and smiled.

"I heard you took 2 years to recover from the coma, this question should be directed to you, how have you been?" He smiled, knowing that there were rumours going around about his past.

"And I suppose you came here today is to see Gui."

Ah Ben and Sheng Yi have been buddies with each other since their school days so he knew everyone off the bat. 

"Was it this obvious?" He laughed, pointing out his friend's weakness."Duh!"

"But Gui is different... she looks different. We haven't seen each other in so long and the first thing she wanted was to discuss business."

Ah Ben nodded, knowing Gui’s behaviour around the company well enough to guess her every move.

"Why's that?"

He asked as Ah Ben stopped eating.

 

"A lot of things happened when you were busy playing the part of the enchanted beauty herself, sleeping beauty for 4 years and add another 2 for travelling. If you don’t think that is a long time, then my friend, I don’t what is." 

He chuckled as Sheng Yi smirked, repeating the exact question he had been dying to know.

"What I can tell you know is that Gui goes by Even now, she forced herself to shove everything including her personal matters and the past away, bringing out the cold, straight-forward, business-like Even Wu. Which I believe you got the chance to witness today. After you went into coma, Gui had a hard time trying to see you since Amanda was like a watch dog, stopping her every time she went to visit you. She should be in the police department and not an accountant. What was she thinking?"

Sheng Yi remained quiet as he continued.

 

"Other than that, I'm not sure if I am the one to tell you the rest since my knowledge is rather limited. However, if you really want to know more, I suggest Lu Ting Wei. He’s probably the only one that knows what happened, Gui’s most-trusted friend. Or better yet, go and ask Gui out and bomb her with questions that have been troubling you over the last century! At this point, you might become crazy just thinking what happened. Believe me my friend, I think you should be a man and ask her what really happened."

They laughed.

 

"But Gui's attitude is different. She no longer smiles anymore, only during rare occasions, such as parties where she has to be on top of everything. However, her smile seemed forced, how? I have been friends with her for so long and if I don’t know her feelings, I must be an idiot..."

He muttered as Sheng Yi slowly understood her attitude towards him earlier.

"Hey, thanks for booking that meeting for me, you helped me a lot man!"

"Not a problem, all you need to do is wait until Gui accepts that proposal, then you can see her with an excuse!"

Sheng Yi nodded as they continued their dinner plans. Ah Ben snickered, wondering if she is going to accept or reject the deal.

 

 

 

{ xx }

A couple of days later...

 

By 9pm, all the designs were making their way up to the office that will then go through evaluations.

Even had finished the first batch of documents she needed to go over before she can start on the evaluation process with the other board members.

"We have to go now."

Ah Ben stated as he closed his file, noticing that this was the last thing on Miss. Wu's schedule. Even rubbed her temples before peeling herself up from her heavy pile of folders.

Without a word, she obediently went along with the schedule and walked out of the room. Ah Ben looked at the table where he personally picked out the meal which has the best nutrients that will give her some energy. With the packed lunch earlier, he deeply sighed. Hoping that she has eaten something, but all he could see was the box was left unopened.

 

She hasn't ate anything.

 

 

 

Hours later...

 

With hours of careful inspection and consideration that went into the votes, both sides of the boards have been given a chance to pick any ones that they find outstanding.

"Even with little time, the design time have saved the company this time with their through sketches. These designs can be used for our presidential suite as well as the royalty suite. While number 37 should be used for our regular suites and number 15 is for our regular rooms, with some minor changes to make sure each room emits a different mood."

Everyone in the room agreed, leaning back as the night continues to tick. Before they knew it, the final selection is finished, much to their relief and satisfaction.

"End of discussion, have a good night everyone."

She slightly bowed as she walked out of the room with Ah Ben following from behind, walking into her office.

 

 

"Tomorrow is a big day. We need to make arrangement for the furniture, paintings, plants to be brought in, everything needs be done as soon as possible."

Ah Ben nodded as Even walked over to her desk.

"You're not going home?"

She shook her head, pointing to the pile of documents that needed to be assessed. He walked over to her, leaning over at desk as she watched him do so.

"As your assistant, I am grateful to see you work so hard since millions of people's have devoted themselves into this project but as of right now, I am your friend, Gui. Stop working so hard and go home. I can assure you, nothing bad is going to happen so go home."

She chuckled, twirling herself in the chair. "Haven't I told you?"

"To not worry about you?"

She nodded, waving him off. "Go home Ah Ben."

She stated as he placed the food that was cold on her desk, hoping she would go to the microwave in one of the office rooms and heat it up. But before he can walk through those doors, she called out to him.

"Thanks."

He smiled and left. When he walked out, she walked over to the small table where the newspaper was and when she did, she smiled as she glanced at the entertainment section in front of her. When her eyes landed on the newspaper, she knew that Ah Ben had mistakenly taken the wrong newspaper by accident.

How Silly.

 

She sighed as she bent down to reach the large envelope that Sheng Yi handed earlier. Pulling out the proposal as she sighed, the only document that managed to make her lose focus. It was either yes or a no, but why was it so hard to make up her mind?

 

 

 

the next morning.

 

 

"Here."

Ying Jie pointed to all of the documents she went over last night, as she drank her coffee, forcing herself to stay awake as Ah Ben straightened his clothes.

"GUI! YOU STAYED UP ALL NIGHT TO FINISH THESE?"

He shrieked, looking at the documents that was placed on the other side of the table, labelling them complete as he gasped, looking over at Gui who was getting up from her chair, stretching.

"You... You never change do you? Gui, even in school you were like this."

He muttered as she smirked, recalling those endless nights in the library.

"Just go and return them because we have a huge day today. Did you get everything I asked?"

She asked as he nodded, but hesitated to hand it over.

"But Gui, you don't look good. You should go back home and sleep."

He stated as she held out her hand, requesting for the information.

 

 

"GUI!"

"Give me the document, I need it." 

She demanded, refusing to budge for a lousy reason like that. Since Ah Ben know her personality the best, he knew that it was going to be hard to get pass her so he let her have it.

"Good."

She whispered as she opened the documents up as she sat back down in her chair.

"When you send the proposal from H.I.M. entertainment over to the advertising team, tell them to handle it themselves, and give me detailed summary afterwards. As for this..."

She held up another folder in her hand, giving it to Ah Ben. Who personally took it.

 

"Return it to Mr. Qiu."

Ah Ben smiled, happy that his two friends are joining forces. Even can sense the happiness that he was feeling, instead, she shoved it off and went back to work.

"And if you don't mind, can you tell the design department or whoever the manager of the new hotel is, to leave the one presidential and royal suite untouched, and 3 levels of our normal suites empty for now."

"Why?" Even sighed, looking at her assistant with glee.

"Oh no... you aren't thinking about..." 

“You know it.” Even smirked as she help her cup of coffee over to Ah Ben. “More please.”