Three

Our love story

 

"How do you feel right now?" Kai stole a glance at Kamin as they walked side by side along the quiet streets of Tokyo. The street lamps served as the only source of light in the dark cloak of night which fell upon the city. She had been keeping very quiet ever since they left the house. 
 
Kamin shook her head tiredly,"I am okay... Just a bit drained..." She trailed off. Kai looked at her, worry lining his brows. Not only was that twinkle in her eyes missing, but the small smile she normally tried to put on was gone too. 
 
"Hey." Kai touched her cheek,"don't look so down. Come on, I'll tell you a story, okay?" 
 
"A story? I am not in any mood for stories, Kai..." Kamin replied apologetically. To be honest, she was not in a mood for anything at all. All she wanted was to find somewhere to hide and pretend nothing ever happened. 
 
"I promise it would make you feel better. It's gonna be a fairytale. A fairytale with a happy ending." Kai took her hand and led her to a bench nearby. 
 
Kamin sighed but agreed. Right now, she seemed to doubt those happily ever afters. Happily ever afters probably only happen in fairytales and not in real life. She had once thought they did.
 
She sat down beside Kai, staring into the distance. She did not even notice Kai's phone lighting up with a message alert. Nor did she realize Kai's sad smile that followed after he typed back a reply. 
 
"Once upon a time, in a small castle in Seoul, there lived a beautiful princess. She had a pair of whimsical eyes that held a little twinkle whenever she smiled and she had long luscious brown hair that all the girls would have wanted to have. And she believed in happily ever afters." Kai began, his eyes shining with an inscrutable emotion. Kamin cast a quizzical glance at Kai and Kai only smiled back. 
 
"Living opposite her was a prince. Dashing, he was." Kai chuckled softly, "But as compared to the princess, he never thought happily ever afters could exist. Until one day, he met the beautiful princess. It was love at first sight. At first he thought she was only beautiful but after days of watching her and talking to her, he found that she was beautiful on the inside and on the outside. He learnt of her dreams and her belief that there would always be a happily ever after in every story. You could say she was naive but to him, that innocence was one of the little things that made him fall in love with her." 
 
Kamin listened intently, her gaze now focused on Kai. 
 
"Needless to say, they fell in love with each other. They created many beautiful memories and the princess became a part of the prince's everyday life. The princess also started believed in true love and she believed in the both of them. The prince loved her dearly and bending down on one knee, he promised her that he would never let her suffer pain or hurt or any sadness. He would use his life to take care of her and he would never ever," Kai emphasised,"let her shed one tear. " 
 
"Today, I have finally mustered the courage to do this. Kamin ah, I want to be your angel. An angel who will protect you, guide you and keep you from harm. I want to be by your side forever, loving you, caring for you and being your comfort. I want to be the one who will calm your fears and ease your pain." Baekhyun's voice rang in her head. This story... Kamin looked up at the night sky and blinked furiously, willing those tears to stop spilling out. 
 
"But one day, the prince did something that had apparently hurt the princess. The princess cried and cried and cried. And before the prince could tell her why he did so and before he could tell her how much it had hurt him too, the princess ran away. The prince combed every nook and cranny, trying to find his princess. He never once gave up hope because at that moment, he too believed in happily ever afters. He believed that if he tried hard enough, he would find her. If he tried hard enough, he could get her back. If he tried hard enough, they could have their own happily ever after. Finally, he found her in Tokyo..." 
 
"You know, you remind me of someone too." He replied, laughing.
 
"And who would that be?" 
 
"Someone...whom I love dearly." He admitted,"it may sound cheesy but she is someone I find hard to live without. She was my first love and my only one until...I don't know, forever." 
 
Kamin squeezed her eyes shut. Some memories just never fade away. Her tears fell endlessly. Baekhyun...  I find it hard to live without you too. 
 
"But when he found her in Tokyo, she seemed to have lost those beliefs." Kamin opened her eyes to find the seat beside her empty and Baekhyun standing right in front of her. And he was staring at her with hurt evident in his eyes.
 
"She had stopped believing in whatever true love there was, blinded by her own pain and hurt. And when the prince finally got one step closer to her, she ran a few steps ahead. She avoided him as much as she could and ignored all of his pleas. The prince wondered if she ever knew how hurt he felt and how painful it was for him to see his true love right in front of his eyes but feel so distant from her at the same time. 
 
And what hurt the prince the most was the fact that she had stopped believing in the both of them." 
 
Under the dim light provided by the street lights, Kamin saw Baekhyun's eyes glistening with tears.  
 
"Kamin," How could she have not realized how much she missed the sound of his voice calling her name? 
 
"You stopped believing in us. Haven't you?" Baekhyun's words lacerated her heart. 
 
Kamin shook her head as she flung herself into his arms, wrapping her arms tightly around his neck. She inhaled the familiar boyish scent of him and bathed in the warmth of his body. 
 
"I haven't, Baekhyun. I haven't." She repeated in a litany as her tears poured out. 
 
"I am sorry, Baekhyun. I am sorry...." Kamin sobbed,"I was so stupid to have ran away and I was so foolish to think that you would hurt me. I was rash, I was stupid. You have every right to be mad at me and ignore me. But..." Kamin looked into Baekhyun's eyes. 
 
"I realized that I can't live without you. All this while, I have been lying to myself. I thought that I hated you. And right now, I hate myself for even thinking that way. I love you and I never ever want to let you go. When I heard that you would be flying back to Seoul, I was heartbroken. I never thought that I would need to have you by my side but I do. Baekhyun..." Kamin searched for his hand and she grasped it firmly. 
 
"After much persuasion, Rachel finally told me where you were. I came to Tokyo but you told me that Kai was your boyfriend and you even told me you were gonna get married to him. Do you even know..." Baekhyun's voice broke. 
 
"I never should have left you in the first place. I was wrong..." Kamin sobbed. 
 
Baekhyun gazed at Kamin,"the days without you were horrible, do you know that? I dreaded each sunrise knowing that you wouldn't be beside me and I dreaded each sunset because you wouldn't be watching it with me.I missed you." The first tear escaped, rolling down his cheek. Kamin wiped it away with her thumb though her own tears continued to fall rapidly.
 
"I am sorry for doing all that. It is my fault. I know... I am sorry, I am sorry...." Kamin wept, her hand still grasping Baekhyun's. 
 
"Can you give me another chance? Can you give us another chance?" Kamin searched Baekhyun's face for an answer. 
 
"I still love you and I never stopped loving you. I-" Before Kamin could think of what else to say, Baekhyun's lips came crashing down on hers. The feel of his lips on hers made her legs go weak and she collapsed into his arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer. Baekhyun ran his hands through her long tousled hair, savouring each touch. Under the moonlight, two lovers finally unite.
 
After what seemed like eternity, Baekhyun pulled back a little, breathing deeply. Baekhyun gazed into Kamin's eyes, his fingers still intertwined with hers. 
 
"You know what I hate about you? It's that no matter how deeply you hurt me, I would always forgive you. And no matter how angry I am at you, I can only fall back in love with you." Baekhyun pressed his lips against Kamin's once again. Kamin smiled into the kiss, knowing she was forgiven. 
 
"I love you." She said.
 
"I love you too." He chuckled softly as he curled a strand of flyaway hair behind her ear.
 
"And I love how the both of you are back together now. I guess my work here is done." Kai stepped out of the shadows, clapping his hands softly. 
 
Kamin turned and she ran towards Kai, hugging him. 
 
Kai smiled as he hugged her back,"I told you everything is going to be alright." 
 
As she pulled back from the hug, Kai found her face wet with tears.
 
"Why are you crying again?" Kai chuckled softly though his eyes shined with sorrow.
 
"Kai, why are you so nice to me? I played with your feelings and..." Kamin looked down at the ground in shame. "You have every right to be mad at me." 
 
"That's because I still love you, Kamin..." Kai trailed off," and it's okay for you to not love me back anymore. I hurt you in the past, I know that. Even if it wasn't intentional, it inflicted much hurt on you and Baekhyun was the one who healed that wound. He was the one who made you happy again and I know that he would be the one who would stop those tears from flowing and bring back that sparkle in your eyes. I know you haven't been happy these few days and I finally realized why." 
 
Kai reached out to brush a renegade tear from Kamin's cheek.  
 
"That's because he wasn't by your side."
 
Kamin looked up gratefully at Kai, taking his hand to give it a squeeze. 
 
"And loving someone can also mean letting them go. Now, I am letting you go and you have found true happiness. For that, I am happy for you." Kai took her hand, patted it before giving it to Baekhyun. "You will be happy with him, I am sure of it." 
 
"Thank you, Kai." Baekhyun nodded at Kai. 
 
Kai grinned,"my friend, don't thank me just yet. If I know that Kamin is unhappy because of you, my fist would greet you with pleasure." Kai winked at Kamin who finally let out a small laugh. 
 
"Well, it is getting late and before I go back and before you two lovebirds catch up, I have a present for the both of you." Kai reached into his pocket to produce an envelop which he passed to Baekhyun. 
 
"Here's the amended details for the wedding. The wedding has been rescheduled to a week later. Do all that you want and invite all the guests you would like to have." Seeing their shocked faces, Kai smiled,"You guys wouldn't want to waste a good wedding, would you?" 
 
With that, Kai turned away from the couple and walked briskly back to his car so that no one would be able to see his saline tears falling. 
 
____________________
Hello everyone! This is quite a long chapter and I hope you enjoyed it~^^ What do you think about this chapter? Anyone feeling really upset for kaiiiiiii /cries  
Do feel free to comment below! I can't wait to hear from all of you~