Unmasked

Our love story

 

The other guy coughed awkwardly. Kai decided to turn his attention to his newly met friend.
 
"Hey, I haven't got to hear your name. I am Kai, by the way. CEO of Kaura." Kai extended his hand out to him.
 
"I am Baekhyun. CEO of nothing, currently." He shook Kai's hand warmly. Kai laughed. 
 
"You are rather funny." 
 
"Well, I am somewhat like Tao, except he is more to the extreme side." Baekhyun gestured to Tao who was talking animatedly to the girl in the white dress. 
 
Kai laughed again,"I see. Well, Tao is one of a kind. I wonder what she feels now..." He murmured thoughtfully.
 
"Ahhh. She is your date for tonight, eh?" Baekhyun struck up a conversation.
 
"Yeah. But we aren't in that sort of relationship. She is just a friend that I haven't met for a really long time." Kai said, watching her intently. Baekhyun followed his gaze and they simply watched for quite a while. 
 
"Oh and nice mask, by the way." Kai commented. 
 
"You too, Kai." Baekhyun bowed slightly. 
 
"My goodness, Kai. She is such a lovely girl. Sorry for taking up so much of her time. I simply enjoyed talking to her." Tao came back with Kamin beside him. 
 
Kamin smiled,"same here. Tao is really funny." 
 
"Alright. I know I am funny." Tao grinned,"oh and Kai? I suppose you would like to dance with your date? I shall go around socializing and I will come back to dance with her again!" He chuckled before adding," she is a really good dancer." 
 
"Spare me the compliments, Tao. I am not that good." Kamin waved away the compliments. Tao quickly caught her hand and placed it in Kai's.
 
"Stop talking, now go to the dance floor." He grinned, holding a thumbs up secretly to Kai before he engaged in a conversation with someone else who walked by. 
 
Kai turned to Kamin and he led her on the dance floor. Wrapping one hand around her waist, they waltzed slowly on the floor. 
 
"How was your dance with Tao?" Kai struck up a conversation as he twirled her around.
 
"Uhm, it was fine. He is really funny and I enjoy talking to him. He is very easy going."  Kamin twirled back in and her hand fell back into his. She looked up at him and met his gaze. His eyes seemed to reflect the light from the chandelier, shining.
 
"Even more easy going than me?" Kai joked.
 
"Mmmm." Kamin pondered for a while,"perhaps." She laughed, showing off her pearly white teeth. 
 
Kai gazed at her and as their eyes met, he felt himself sinking down and down and down. Her eyes were still as beautiful as before, but with a tinge of maturity. Her looks had matured as well over the years; she became even prettier than she was. Her cheeks were flushed a pretty pink and her alabaster skin shone under the light. Her nose was straight and her lips... 
 
Kai caught himself quickly before his thoughts went wild. His heart was battering against his chest and he bet that Kamin could feel it. She was so close. The thought of her being close to him seemed to make him feel light-headed. Wait. Does this mean I am really still...still in love with her? After all these years, my feelings had never died down, it was simply just hidden from sight.
 
The last chord of the waltz sounded and the couples bowed. Kamin executed a perfect curtesy and she clapped her hands. 
 
"You danced really well." She complimented Kai who shook his head. 
 
"Waltz is not exactly my forte though but thanks for the compliment." Kai grinned.
 
"Hey! It finally ended. I was waiting so long for my turn..." Tao whined as he spotted Kai and Kamin coming closer.
 
Kai shook his head, smiling. "Shouldn't you give someone else a chance? She wouldn't really want to dance with only one person for the whole night." 
 
"Aish, Kai. Fine... But if it's so, you can't dance with her too." Tao grumbled, muttering under his breath. Baekhyun simply stood at a side and smiled politely. He felt a little awkward around here and his mind was somewhere else. His heart was somewhere else. 
 
"Oh and look. The last dance for the night." Tao grumbled as he looked at his gold watch. Suddenly, his eyes lit up and he clapped Baekhyun on the back. 
 
"What about you, my friend, dance with this young lady here?" Tao grinned at Baekhyun's surprised face,"you haven't danced a single dance this whole evening." 
 
Baekhyun looked at Kamin and the two of them looked at each other for a moment or so before Baekhyun slowly stretched out his hand. 
 
"May I have this dance?" He bowed. Kamin nodded and placed her hand in his and they walked to the centre of the room. He awkwardly placed his hand on her and he held her hand in his other hand. They moved slowly to the waltz that was playing. As they waltzed around the room, Kamin could not help but feel some sense of déjà vu when she danced with him. 
 
"Do I...Have I met you before? By any chance?" Kamin asked softly, trying to place her finger on why she felt a sense of familiarity with this gentlemen she never could have met before.
 
"I...don't really think so." Baekhyun replied though he did also seem to find some familiarity. Almost all the awkwardness had eased away. It was like he was dancing with...Kamin.
 
"You know, you remind me very much of someone." She spoke, looking up at him wide curious eyes. Who was that behind that mask?
 
"You know, you remind me of someone too." He replied and they laughed. 
 
"Who is she?" Kamin asked. 
 
"She is someone...whom I love dearly." Baekhyun admitted,"it may sound cheesy but its hard to live without her. She was my first love and my only one until...I don't know, forever." 
 
"Wow, she must be really lucky." Kamin murmured. 
 
"What about you? Who do I remind you of?" Baekhyun asked after clearing his throat. Where are you, Kamin? I miss you so much. 
 
"Someone who made a very big impact on my life." Kamin trailed off as her mind overflowed with thoughts of him.
 
"Kamin, I promise you I wouldn't let you shed a single tear. You will not experience a heartache okay? Do you know how terrible I feel just to see you cry? Can't you see me hurting?" His tone was sad.
 
"Baek..."
 
"Kamin, don't you love me?"
 
"I do," I whispered, unable to get any sound out after my sobs. I do, I do. Baek, you have no idea how much I do.
 
"That's the only thing I have to hear," his lips formed a small smile. He kissed my fingers," Kamin, trust me. I love you and you know that. I don't know how many times I have said this but I would not let you get hurt in any way."
 
"What about my heart?"
 
"Didn't you already give it to me?" He smiled.
 
 
"He must be very important to you then." Kamin zapped back to reality and she found that the music has already stopped. He was still standing there though, holding her in his arms just like how he did before the dance ended. Kamin drew back and curtsied. As she lifted up her head, she spotted the time on Baekhyun's watch.
 
"Omo. It's late. I should get going." Kamin scanned the crowd for Kai and found him almost immediately. She tapped her wrist and he nodded in understanding.
 
"Wait! I still don't know your name." He called out. 
 
Kamin smiled," I am Kamin. It was nice to meet you. I guess I will see you around?" With that, she disappeared into the crowd. 
 
Baekhyun stood rooted to the ground as he watched her disappearing figure. 
 
"Kamin?"