What it takes

Our love story

 

"Where did she go?" Baekhyun asked fiercely, shaking the poor nurse by her shoulder once again.
 
"Mister, I really have no idea... Please, I am clueless." The nurse replied, fear evident in her eyes. He had been asking her the same question over and over again once he found his girlfriend's ward empty
 
Baekhyun ran his hand through his hair, frustrated. 
 
"How could you not know? You were supposed to be taking care of her. What in the world were you doing? Why is she not here anymore?" Baekhyun hollered, frightening the nurses passing by. 
 
"Mister, this young lady... She was here yesterday-" 
 
"I know she was here yesterday. She was still talking to me. She is still not well..." Baekhyun trailed off as he spotted the doctor. 
 
He rushed off immediately, clutching the doctor by his shoulders. 
 
"Doctor, do you....why is she...why did you even let her go?" Baekhyun asked hurriedly, his words muffled. The doctor pried his fingers off, adjusting his white uniform.
 
"Mr Byun, is it? Miss Kamin has been discharged due to her own request. She had requested to be discharged last night. I allowed her to be discharged because after a check-up, she seems well and does not seem to have any problems." He replied, calm and collected, a total opposite to Baekhyun who had his mouth agape at the doctor's reply.
 
"She left on her own accord? But...she does not even have anything with her! No personal belongings or anything! Who even paid her medical bills?" Baekhyun pressed.
 
"I am not very sure about that. I only know that it was her friend, a close friend most likely. A female." The doctor replied suavely.
 
"When did she leave this hospital?" Baekhyun asked, exasperated. His mind had only one thought; why did Kamin want to leave the hospital? Why did she want to leave...him?
 
"I think it would be around...5.30a.m today , which would be about 5 hours ago." The doctor replied, looking at his watch. "And pardon me, mr Byun but I would have to excuse myself. I have an appointment to go to." The doctor walked off, with the nurse scurrying behind him. 
 
Baekhyun walked back alone to her ward, sinking down onto her bed. He sighed. Kamin, why? He suddenly thought of what she had said the other night. 
 
 
"Goodbye, Baekhyun." Kamin waved. Baekhyun thought he felt a tinge of sadness behind that simple goodbye.
 
"Goodbye, Kamin ah. I will be back tomorrow." Baekhyun let go of her hand reluctantly as he walked towards the door.
 
"Take care of yourself, Baekhyun." Kamin said softly.
 
"It's not like you wouldn't see me anymore, Kamin ah." Baekhyun went back to give Kamin a hug.
 
"Even so, I will miss you." Kamin whispered in his ear. 
 
 
Gosh, Baekhyun thought angrily to himself, I was so stupid. How could I not know? Baekhyun hit himself on the head before grabbing the pillow and throwing it on the ground.
 
Suddenly, he caught sight of a letter folded neatly in half lying just beneath where the pillow originally was. Baekhyun grabbed the letter and unfolded it hurriedly. His heart raced as he read through every word.
 
 
 Baekhyun:
 
By the time you read this, I am gone. I cannot stay here any longer. I need some time on my own, to think it through and to...accept what has already happened. 
 
This hospital, this ward, this bed...and you,byun baekhyun, serves as a reminder of how I lost someone dear to me; my own flesh and blood. The smell of blood seems to permeate the air and i cant help myself but think how helpless we were to saving our baby and that has left a scar in my heart which I am unable to remove so easily. 
 
Baekhyun, let's have some time alone and calm down. I hope you will understand. I have to leave and you don't have to come find me. I left the ring by the table. Let's just take it that... you and I never happened. 
 
Goodbye,
Kamin.
 
Baekhyun looked towards the bedside table, finding the ring that used to wrap around Kamin's ring finger. He got off the bed and crouched down to pick up the ring that lay forlornly on the table. Baekhyun's heart sank.How can I pretend that you and I never happened? How could I?
 
He sank to the ground, crying silent tears. Rarely would Baekhyun ever show this sight in public, but this apparent break-up initiated by his one and only love had broken his heart, shattering it into a million pieces. He held the ring tightly in his fist.
 
Kamin, this relationship is not going to end. I am going to find you, no matter what it takes.