Newfound

Our love story

 

"Dear passengers, this is your captain speaking. It is now 11:24a.m.  We have landed in Tokyo and we are now at the new Tokyo international airport. Please remain in your seats until the seat belt sign has been turned off. It has been a pleasure with you and hope you enjoyed your flight with us. Thank you." The captain's voice boomed over the speakers, waking a sleepy Kamin from her slumber. Kamin rubbed her bleary eyes and stretched as much as she could in her seat. I am in Tokyo now. She looked out of the window, taking in the new scenery that greeted her.
 
Ding. The seatbelt sign turned off and passengers around Kamin scuttled out of their seats, taking their luggages from the compartment on top. Kamin stood up gracefully, dusting off minuscule specks of dust from her pink pastel dress which clung close to her figure. She waited patiently for the passengers to move out before she herself took her own handheld luggage from above and squeezed through the crowd, making her way to the arrival hall. 
 
After collecting her luggage from the conveyor belt and done with all the necessary procedures, she walked into the main area of the new Tokyo international airport. She saw couples meeting and hugging each other with affection in their eyes, families congregating together in one big group laughing and chattering away and...she was all alone. She could not help but feel a tinge of loneliness. After all, she did not know anyone in Tokyo. She sighed before she continued walking, weaving through the crowd. Ahh, so this is what you feel when you are in a crowd of people and still feel so lonely. 
 
Trying to ignore the aching in her heart, she walked out of the airport and flagged down a taxi. Fumbling in her bag, she unfolded a piece of white paper, creases now evident on it, she looked down at the address. 
 
"To dai-ichi hotel, please."  With that, the taxi drove off, leaving puffs of smoke in its trail.
 
After a 75 minutes drive, they finally arrived. Kamin looked up, the shiny signboard read in japanese, 'Dai-ichi hotel'. She nodded to herself and walked in through the automatic glass doors though she walked out a few minutes later, her head hung low. There were no more vacant rooms. 
 
Kamin walked out to the Main Street of Tokyo, walking through the crowd aimlessly. She sighed, where am I even going to stay now? She looked around for any place providing food and lodging. She found none, probably because she could not read any japanese. She silently blamed herself for not checking more thoroughly before leaving Seoul. She blew her bangs, frustrated. 
 
"I shall get something to eat first then..." Kamin muttered to herself, walking into a random shop by the roadside.
 
"こんにちは![hello!]" A young teenage girl with two pigtails came forward, greeting her warmly,"何を食べますか?[what do you want to eat?] " The teenager asked Kamin who glanced at her confusedly.  "Sorry, i don't speak japanese." Kamin spoke slowly, trying to use hand gestures.
 
The teen cocked her head to a side, confused as well.
 
"この人日本語が話しない。[she does not speak japanese]" A new voice spoke. 
 
Kamin whipped around to find a lady looking about her age, speaking in fluent Japanese. 
The young lady turned around,"she was saying,'hello. What would you like to eat?'" 
 
"Oh,"Kamin answered,"I would like the ramen. This one." Kamin pointed to a picture on the menu. 
 
The teen waitress nodded her head smiling,"はい![yes]" with that, she hurried to the kitchen.
 
"Thank you for that. " Kamin said gratefully. The young lady smiled,"no need to thank me. Hi,I am  Yuki. It means snow in japanese. " she extended a hand which Kamin shook politely.
 
"I am Kamin. Nice to meet you, Yuki. " Kamin smiled, her first smile in Tokyo. Yuki was brown-haired and had big doll-like eyes with long eyelashes. Her cheeks were tinted pink and she had a warm smile that made Kamin feel so much more welcomed in this foreign land.
 
"I saw that you couldn't speak japanese. You must be from overseas." Yuki smiled warmly.
 
"Yes, I am from Seoul. I just arrived here around two hours ago and it has not been very good so far." 
 
"Oh, why so?"
 
"The hotel I wanted to stay in? It was all full."
 
"Oh, I am so sorry to hear that..." Yuki frowned, "if you want,I could let you stay at my house."
 
"Oh, no. I don't think that would be very nice." Kamin shook her head, biting her lower lip,"after all, it would be too much of an inconvenience to you." 
 
Yuki frowned again,"well...but will you cope fine?"
 
"Yeah, I will just look around and try my luck." Kamin shrugged.
 
Yuki glanced at her watch slightly,"uh oh," she put a finger to her lips," I gotta run. My lunch break is almost over and I have to rush back." 
 
"Oh..." Kamin sounded a little crestfallen,"you should go. I shall not take up too much of your time. Please do go, you may be late."
 
"No worries, if I run, I will make it back in time. My shop is just round the corner. I am a fashion designer by the way. Do drop by my shop to visit sometime. Here's my number. Text me or call me if you need help or just someone to talk to. Bye." Yuki punched her number into Kamin's phone and with a cute wave, she disappeared out onto the streets.
 
Kamin gazed at her vanishing back view and turned to her ramen which just arrived. "Well, its just me and you, ramen." She smiled weakly before tucking in to the piping hot ramen. Yummy. Kamin found herself liking the taste of tokyo's ramen, even more than those in Seoul. Maybe its time for a change. Who knew tokyo's ramen could be nicer than seoul's? Well, after all, its the Ramen's hometown. 
 
 
"Kamin, is that you?" A seemingly familiar deep voice broke her train of thoughts. A hand tapped her shoulder and she whirled around,dropping her pair of chopsticks on the table with a loud clatter.
 
"Kai?"