Giving in

Our love story

 

Rachel had been rather pleased with herself that Baekhyun had gone home once she refused to help him. But to her utmost horror, Baekhyun had driven back to her house with camping equipment roughly an hour later
 
"Go home! It's no use. I can't tell you her whereabouts." Rachel had shouted from her window on the very first day he started to camp. 
 
"Rachel, I will stay out here until you promise to help me." Baekhyun simply shook his head,"I will show you how much I am willing to do to find Kamin. Even if it rains and pours, no matter rain or shine, I will stay out here. This is the only clue I have to Kamin's whereabouts. You hold the key to my happiness. I am counting on you." With that, he disappeared into his tent. Since that day, he had been camping right on Rachel's front lawn. 
 
 
Rachel peeked out of the window again. Still waiting? That guy is one stubborn mule. Rachel shook her head disapprovingly. Baekhyun had been camping outside her house for six days already and she could not do anything about it. He simply refused to budge. He was adamant on getting her help but Rachel willed herself not to be soft hearted. She had to keep her promise to Kamin. She had tried shooing him away, from trying to urge him to go home pleasantly to using a broom to scare him off. That did nothing to Baekhyun.
 
How does he even eat? He has nothing in his tent and no food in his car. All he has is a huge water bottle filled to the brim with water. Oh gosh, he didn't eat for almost a week? 
 
"Baekhyun, did you eat?" Rachel shouted from the window again.
 
"Biscuits." Baekhyun held a few packets of biscuits up. He had been sitting in the same position since the first day. Though Rachel tried her best to keep her promise to Kamin, she couldn't help but feel a tinge of sympathy towards Baekhyun and even admiration. 
 
She felt that Baekhyun was silly to have camped out there but she could not deny his silliness made her feel so envious of Kamin. A guy, camping outside his girlfriend's friend's house just to get information of his runaway girlfriend. How romantic did that sound? Super romantic.
 
Rachel sat on her couch, frustrated. Kamin ah, why did you even leave? He loves you so much. To think you want to start anew... You can't possibly find a better boyfriend.
 
Her train of thoughts were broken off by the pattering of rain against her glass windows. Small rain droplets rolled down her windows and onto her garden, much to the delight of her flowers which soaked in the cool bliss of rain. Baekhyun stared up at the overcast sky. He stretched his hand out to feel the cool droplets of rain on his open palm. Rain wouldn't deter me. Let it rain then
 
Baekhyun climbed further into his tent to seek shelter. 
 
Rachel scampered to her window, looking out to see what Kamin's lovesick boyfriend was doing.She was just in time to see him climb further into his tent. She simply stared, worried.The slight drizzle slowly became a downpour, coupled with strong winds. 
 
Rain rained down mercilessly onto the rather flimsy tent of Baekhyun's. The wind did worse damage, loosening the pegs. Baekhyun hurriedly ran out of the tent, trying to save his valuables and water supply that he had fortunately placed into a bag pack. He stood in the rain, soaked to the skin. Baekhyun blamed himself for not grabbing an umbrella. 
 
Rachel watched in shock. Why is Byun Baekhyun still standing there in the pouring rain? Oh my gosh... She hurriedly dialled Baekhyun's number. Baekhyun fished his vibrating phone out of his bag pack, trying to use all means to protect it while he answered the call. 
 
Rachel shouted into the phone,"go home! It's raining heavily now. You better go." 
 
"I won't." Baekhyun insisted stubbornly,"I told you. Even if it rains and pours, I would not go back. I have to stay. I need to find Kamin. I have to. I can't give up on our relationship. No matter how cliched this sounds, she means the world to me. I have to find her." 
 
"Baekhyun-" 
 
"Don't ask me to leave. I won't. I have to find Kamin. I know its stupid of me to hold on to our relationship so tightly though Kamin has explicitly broken off with me. But someone has to salvage this relationship and that someone would be me." Baekhyun said. 
 
Rachel felt his words tug at her heart strings. She felt herself giving in. She sighed,"come on in. I don't want you to catch a cold." 
 
"Thank you, Rachel!" Baekhyun broke into a smile as he dashed into her open door.
 
Rachel gulped as Baekhyun came in. "You are dripping wet. Go and clean yourself up. I will get another set of clothes for you." 
 
Baekhyun nodded gratefully,"thank you." With that, he disappeared into the bathroom.
 
Rachel stared at his back view. You are one of a kind, Byun Baekhyun.
____
 
"Thank you," Baekhyun murmured as Rachel handed him a cup of warm coffee which he sipped gratefully. 
 
"Why are you so silly to have camped out there?" Rachel sighed as she sat down on the couch.
 
"It's the only way I could get you to help me," Baekhyun replied with a wan smile. 
 
Rachel looked over to him,"Baekhyun, you do love Kamin, don't you?" 
 
Baekhyun met her gaze,"yes. Yes, I do love her very much."
 
Rachel sighed. "I am sure she loves you a lot too." 
 
"She told you that?" Baekhyun's eyes lit up with hope.
 
"Not exactly... She said she doesn't know. She is confused. If I am not wrong, she lost her baby and you know that losing a baby causes much emotion pain and Kamin may feel that she lost a certain connection with you. Actually she told me that she left because this place brought back many painful memories for her. There is another possibility that she feels that she let you or your mother down because she lost the baby which would have meant a lot to the both of you, especially your mother." Rachel explained, wringing her hands together.
 
Baekhyun's face fell. "My mother and I are not very hung up on the miscarriage she had but more of her disappearance. I told my mum about her leaving over the phone and she was even more upset over it. How could Kamin think she let us down?"
 
"Anyways... Kamin had actually told me not to tell you anything but..." Rachel started.
 
"Where is she?" 
 
"She has gone to Japan, Tokyo. She said she wanted to start anew." Rachel answered.
 
"Thank you for telling me. It really means a lot to me. Thank you." Baekhyun hurriedly shook Rachel's hands,"I have to go now." 
 
"Where? It's still raining." 
 
 "Japan." Baekhyun answered, smiling before he disappeared into the rain.