His story

Our love story

 

KAI's pov
 
I sat on my bed, staring out of the window. How could I even go to sleep after knowing that Kamin found those photos? I shouldn't have left it lying around. This is bad, really bad. She cannot find out the truth now, not after four years. I just want to keep the past as it is. Things should be kept as simple as it can be. 
 
I sighed. Looking at my door, I really wonder what Kamin is thinking now actually. Is she thinking of that day? I wonder if she knows that was the most painful memory I could have. I can still remember every second of that day. It is still clear in my mind. I remember it was my birthday and apparently, that birthday was not going to be a happy one. Eomma and Appa told me the day before that we were leaving for Japan a day after my birthday.
 
My family is affluent and Appa had established a fashion brand in Japan. The fashion industry was doing so well that Appa had decided to emigrate there to run the business. Well, he had plans for me. I was going to finish studying there and then he will teach me the ropes. I was going to take over the business; I was going to be the young CEO of fashion brand 'Kaura'. 
 
I can still feel that tug at my heart. I knew what I was supposed to do. I had to break up with Kamin. Appa told me that we were going to be in Japan probably for the rest of our lives. Actually, I sort of guessed that we were going to Japan since he made me learn japanese when I was just a kid but I never expected it to be so soon. I never expected that to take over the family business, I had to give up my love life. But what else could I do? Make Kamin wait for a guy who would never return? Ask her to come to Japan? Never. Kamin is capable and I can't make her stop studying just to be with me. She is smart and beautiful. She can carve out a bright future for herself and I am not going to be the one who would ruin her future.
 
But the problem then was that Kamin was too smart. I knew that Kamin would never believe me if I simply told her. She was one who had to see it to believe it. I had no choice but to hire a random girl to act as my girlfriend and I was going to have to act for a day. 
 
My birthday came and for the whole day, I was trying to get myself mentally prepared. I had to accept the fact that I was going to break Kamin's heart and break up with her. I knew this was going to be difficult but for her sake, I had to. 
 
The day was hard to get by. Kamin would send me text messages like she always would. 
 
Kai~^^ good morning! Did you miss me last night? I missed you so much. But luckily, I can see you tonight. Can't wait^^ ㅋㅋㅋ
 
Her text messages normally brought a smile to my face but knowing this would be the last time she would send me these texts, my heart could not help but ache. I tried to sound as happy as I could in the text and I couldn't possibly tell her I was going away and never coming back. 
 
Yes, I missed you too~ but we will see each other soon. I love you. I remember sending that text. I was going to miss her so badly after today. 
 
It was hard, honestly. The time slowly drew near and I remember waiting at the restaurant with the girl. She was a actress-in-training apparently though I was going to be the leading actor and she would simply follow. The waiter was to inform me when Kamin arrived and I would have to act. 
 
Not long after, I heard Kamin's light footsteps. The waiter nodded to me and the acting started. We had to act loving. I hated it. I hated it so much but I had to do this. She sat on my lap and I began acting. I tried taking her as Kamin and that did help a bit. I could see Kamin's shadow and I knew I had to do something extreme. I smiled at the girl and kissed her swiftly on the cheek. She blushed, sending me a knowing glance. I whispered a thank you as I hugged her. I could see Kamin hiding behind the wall now and she had squeezed her eyes shut. I knew she could not believe what she was seeing so I had to be the one to make her believe this act.
 
Kamin opened her eyes and I caught her gaze. Whispering thank you to the girl,she left. I could see the hurt and confusion in Kamin's eyes under the dim light. I stood up and she walked silently towards me. I adjusted my tuxedo, trying to hide the awkwardness. 
 
"I see you have arrived. Isn't it such a pleasant surprise for you? I told you it would be a day you would never forget." I tried to talk smoothly, casting a glance at her. She remained silent. 
 
"Aren't you going to wish me a happy birthday?" I smirked. 
 
"How do you explain that, Kai?" She whispered.
 
"What? What should I explain? You saw it with your own eyes. You know perfectly what it means, Kamin. I was cheating on you. That girl has been with me longer than you have been." I smiled charmingly, twirling his wine glass around. There was a tinge of sadness in my voice that Kamin did not notice.
 
"I don't believe you. You were cheating on me?" Kamin searched my eyes,"then... Our dates on the beach and the amusement park meant nothing to you? Three years together and it meant nothing to you?" No, Kamin. It meant everything to me. You mean everything to me. The three years I spent with you were the happiest part of my life.
 
"You are absolutely correct. I was toying with you since the very start." I replied, trying to force my tears back. 
 
Kamin laughed suddenly. "I get it now. I get it now, Kai. You are joking right? Don't pretend. You hired that girl to act and stuff right? You are testing me, aren't you? Stop acting, I know you love me." 
I sighed, trying to keep up with the act. 
 
"Oh Kamin. I don't. A rich guy like me, loves a girl like you? Uhh, I don't exactly think so. You know that girl who was with me just now? Her parents are rich too and we are rather a perfect match, don't you think? She is quite hot." 
 
She clutched at my sleeves,"don't lie." Her voice trembled,"you don't mean what you are saying."  I hoped she was oblivious to the sound of my heart breaking. I shoved her hands off. We can't be together Kamin, I am sorry. I love you. 
 
"I do. Kamin. Do I have to spell it out for you or something?I. Don't. Love. You. I never did." I said loudly, forcing myself to believe those loathsome words. 
 
"I still bought a present for you; I remembered that it was your birthday today." Kamin put a perfectly wrapped up present on the table, her eyes b with tears. My heart ached. She even bought a present for me and I had to hurt her tonight. I knew this was going to be difficult. I had to be the bad guy but I hated to see her cry. I resisted the urge to hug her and tell her it was all a lie and tell her how much I loved her. But I couldn't. I mustn't. Willing my hands, I tossed the present over my shoulder lightly and I silently heaved a sigh of relief when it just fell onto the carpet. 
 
"Kamin, I don't need that present. That girl I was with just now? She is my present. My favorite one, in fact." I chuckled, staring straight at her. She had to believe me and hate me. This way, it would be better for her. Her tears started spilling out from her eyes, rolling down her rosy cheeks. Stop crying, Kamin. Please. Or I can't possibly finish acting this scene. 
 
"Kamin, my greatest wish on my birthday today is that you,"I paused. This was going to hurt her,"would disappear from my life." I could see her lips trembling. I broke her heart and I broke mine in the process too.  
 
"Kai,I never thought you were this type of guy. I still thought-" Kamin bit her lips,struggling to keep her voice even. I knew she was acting strong. I knew inside, she was crying, sobbing her heart out. How much did I want to hold her and kiss her to tell her I was acting and if I had a choice, I would never want to leave her. 
 
 "Never mind. Since you don't care about this relationship anymore or probably did not take it as seriously as I did since the start, okay. Lets break up, then. Your wish is granted." Kamin unfastened the necklace from her neck and slammed it on the table before she ran out of the restaurant. As her back view disappeared from my sight, I slumped onto the chair. It was over. We were over. Done. 
 
I took the necklace that she had left behind on the table, grasping it tightly. The necklace was a love token from me during our first year anniversary and she had never taken it off, until now. I slipped it into my pocket. Kamin, you will still be a part of me.
 
 
I bent down on my knees, my legs weak as I found the present lying in the corner. The last present from Kamin. 
 
Taking off the pale blue ribbon, I opened the box and took out a cute teddy bear plush toy. I pressed his paw and Kamin's voice floated out of it. 
 
Eh hem, testing. Hello kai. It's Kamin here. Happy 19th birthday! I hope you like the present I got for you. I know your Polaroid camera is rather old so I bought you a new one and more film. Lets hope that this Polaroid camera can capture our happy memories together. Kai, lets grow old together and make better memories down that long long road. Saranghaeyo.
 
That was the end of the message. I picked up the Polaroid camera carefully and took a photo. The photo came out and I held it in my hand. On the surface, it may look as if it was an ordinary empty table but if you look closer, you can see the remains of a girl's tears and a boy's sorrow. On the surface, it may be that Kamin was the one that ran away but in fact, it was actually me who had to run away.