Her story

Our love story

 

 Kamin tossed and turned in her bed. Why did Kai keep those photos? Doesn't he hate me or something and want me to 'disappear from his life'? Why? Did I only know one side of the story? 
______
 
It was Kai's birthday and Kamin had specially chosen a outfit that Kai liked and let her hair loose, cascading down her shoulders just as how Kai liked it. Carrying a neatly wrapped up present in one hand, she set off to the posh restaurant where Kai had arranged to meet her. She would arrive on the dot. Kai knew that so he always arrived a little earlier. He wanted to be the gentlemen. 
 
She stepped into the restaurant, the cool air from the air conditioner caressing her rosy cheeks. It was definitely posh. A chandelier hung from the ceiling and the lights provided a romantic warm atmosphere. A pianist dressed in a smart suit sat behind the grand piano, his nimble fingers gliding across the black and white keys, waltzing to a melodious tune. That was Kai's ideal romantic place to have a date and today,according to Kai, was the day 'she would never forget'. The waiter directed her to a table just behind a brick wall. Kamin peeked from behind the brick wall, wanting to surprise Kai. But instead, she was the one who got a huge surprise.
 
Kai sat on a chair. Nothing very surprising but on his lap, sat a young woman in a strapless lavender dress. Kai kissed her quickly on the cheek and she blushed. Kai laughed merrily, his lips forming a wide smile as he hugged her. 
 
Kamin stared, not believing her eyes. She squeezed them shut, willing the sight before to vanish. She wanted Kai to be sitting there alone and he would catch her eye and smile, just like how he always did. He would stand up and welcome her with a warm hug and then pull out a chair for her. But what was happening right now? Kamin opened her eyes. This time, Kai caught her eyes. He whispered into the girl's ear and she left immediately. 
 
Kai stood up, adjusting his tuxedo. "I see you have arrived. Isn't it such a pleasant surprise for you? I told you it would be a day you would never forget." 
 
Kamin walked towards him, silent. Her heart was beating as her mind tried to digest what she had just witnessed. She stood in front of Kai.
 
"Aren't you going to wish me a happy birthday?" Kai smirked. 
 
"How do you explain that, Kai?" Kamin whispered.
 
"What? What should I explain? You saw it with your own eyes. You know perfectly what it means, Kamin. I was cheating on you. That girl has been with me longer than you have been." Kai smiled charmingly, twirling his wine glass around. 
 
"I don't believe you. You were cheating on me?" Kamin searched his eyes,"then... Our dates on the beach and the amusement park meant nothing to you? Three years together and it meant nothing to you?"
 
"You are absolutely correct. I was toying with you since the very start." Kai replied, his eyes glinting. Kamin felt tears stinging her eyes. She couldn't believe him. He did love her. She could feel it. 
 
Kamin laughed suddenly as her mind spun. "I get it now. I get it now, Kai. You are joking right? Don't pretend. You hired that girl to act and stuff right? You are testing me, aren't you? Stop acting, I know you love me." 
 
Kai sighed,"oh Kamin. I don't. A rich guy like me, loves a girl like you? Uhh, I don't exactly think so. You know that girl who was with me just now? Her parents are rich too and we are rather a perfect match, don't you think? She is quite hot." 
 
Kamin clutched at Kai's sleeves,"don't lie." Her voice trembled,"you don't mean what you are saying." 
 
"I do. Kamin. Do I have to spell it out for you or something?" Kai shoved her hands off,"I. Don't. Love. You. I never did." His words were like daggers, perforating Kamin's heart. 
 
"I still bought a present for you; I remembered that it was your birthday today." Kamin put a perfectly wrapped up present on the table, her eyes b with tears. Kai picked up the present, tossing it over his shoulder. Kamin stared at the present, now lying forlornly at a corner and a teardrop rolled down her cheek. 
 
"Kamin, I don't need that present. That girl I was with just now? She is my present. My favorite one, in fact." Kai chuckled, staring straight at her. 
 
"Kamin, my greatest wish on my birthday today is that you," Kai pointed a finger at her,"would disappear from my life." 
 
"Kai,I never thought you were this type of guy. I still thought-" Kamin bit her lips,struggling to keep her voice even, " never mind. Since you don't care about this relationship anymore or probably did not take it as seriously as I did since the start, okay. Lets break up, then. Your wish is granted." Kamin unfastened the necklace from her neck and slammed it on the table before she ran out of the restaurant.